Any other Aspies who are crap at maths here?

Page 5 of 7 [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

samtoo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 11:55 am

Mikhaillost wrote:
I fully understand math- but I can't write it because I am very peculiar about how I write things- I use no less than five different colours of pen to do one problem... and if I accidently pick up the wrong pen and make the wrong color mark in the wrong place- I have to throw the whole page.

Mikhaillost, if you're in education could you request some over time or studying in a different room where you have more time to finish the lessons?

BokeKaeru
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 12:44 pm

I was not good at it, but that could have just been that overall my math education was very shoddy. I didn't even get any significant of math and science education until 5th grade or so, and most of it until 8th grade was extracurricular - my parents were worried I'd be behind because my school preferred stuffing our heads with political agendas rather than teaching us, and I was enrolled in Kumon and one-on-one math tutoring. Now I CAN do some moderately complex math - I prefer not to, but I could figure it out if I needed to.

Yeah, I have found myself feeling like the only Aspie here who isn't good at math - or computer programming, for that matter. My special interests have generally been related to causes I've believed in or fictional worlds.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 2:24 pm

I have no great love of maths, I liked it up to GCSE but at University I hated the maths it seemed like just a large number of random greek letters to remember.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 6:07 pm

Math is my worst subject. I like numbers (especially when you are talking about money $$$) but I barely know how to add 1+1. What is the answer to that hard question?

neshamaruach
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Dec 2008, 11:08 pm

I reached my peak of mathematical ability in Algebra II my junior year of high school. After that, nothing made any sense. I failed Calculus in college (suprise, suprise). I do enjoy balancing my checkbook, though, and I do so longhand (but check it with a calculator after I'm done).

SusyQ
Raven
Raven

04 Dec 2008, 12:33 am

Math was the cause of many meltdowns during school. I hated it and still am not good at it.

mikebw
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 3:06 am

I'm not a maths fan. I'm good with +, -, *, /, and ok with fractions.

All that other fancy stuff can jump off a bridge.

http://www.imdb.com/user/ur3140151/ratings = My Movie Vote History

turborocker5000
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Dec 2008, 4:57 am

I'm very crap at maths!
I only just about scraped a C at GCSE... But the ironic thing is, I actually like maths... the moire complex stuff like triganometry etc.. but I struggle with basic addition and subtraction.. I wanted to do maths A level but was too crap at GCSE :-(
I remember telling my maths teacher in school that I was going to get a B and she never really encouraged me... looking back I think she knew I wouldn't get a good grade :-(

My forte is with language :-) A* english language GCSE.. get in! lol

Charlie x

MasterBrain
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Dec 2008, 6:19 am

I like math, and I know almoust 15 programming languages (html, php css and stuf counted as 1)

DeLoreanDude
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 9:53 am

MasterBrain wrote:
I like math, and I know almoust 15 programming languages (html, php css and stuf counted as 1)

Thats cool!

I'm learning C at the moment and I wanna have a career in this feild but I'm a bit worried maths may prevent me from doing this as maths in needed in programming, especially with complex launguages.

DeLoreanDude
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 9:54 am

turborocker5000 wrote:
My forte is with language :-) A* english language GCSE.. get in! lol

Charlie x

I'm quite good at English, I got a B on my last piece of coursework :)

MasterBrain
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Dec 2008, 8:06 am

I play so much games and watch so much movies so english is my second language (after aspies)

capriwim
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Dec 2008, 8:56 am

I was crap at maths until I taught it to myself, in my own learning style, at my own pace. Then I became good at it. But I didn't understand the way the teachers at school described it at all.

Also, I had the problem where I knew the answer without knowing how I'd got it - some kind of subconscious processing had gone on which my conscious mind couldn't access. So I had to learn to make myself aware of what I was doing, in order that I could generalise it.

Don't give up - try getting a book that describes it very clearly and very thoroughly from scratch, and see if that helps. That is what helped me.

violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2008, 9:38 am

I was pretty good at Algebra, but that was with one of those fancy calculators that kind of help solve the problem for you. I wonder if more people who say they're bad at Math, would be good at Algebra. I feel Algebra is more about puzzle solving, than it really is about math.

Blampied
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Dec 2008, 2:49 pm

I'm not all that good with maths, but I do like to do calculations in my mind when I need to count or figure out certian problems.

Bozewani
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Dec 2008, 2:55 pm

Math is the embodiment of the devil for me.

It will never compute.

SO don't try.