KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 8:02 pm

Moop wrote:
Dear Lisa,
Have a happy birthday
-Shane

That's what my cards look like. Sometimes I even leave out the "Dear".

Because I don't know what is appropriate to sign off with, leaving things blank is probably the best option.

same here.
am dont understand the use of 'dear',and also do not write 'happy' as it's not something am understand either,have very little stuff written on cards.
am buy the best,glittery looking animal cards so the pictures would probably distract from whatever crap is written inside anyway.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 8:17 pm

When I say 'I love you' to people I don't feel that I actually do. It's just words to me. When I do feel love for someone it's harder to say because I'm not sure if that person feels the same way and to save myself the embarrassment I don't say it.
As for cards I draw a heart as if saying love.
Actually the last card I gave to someone I loved was a drawing showing the two of us and a heart balloon. If that doesn't say I love you then what does?
I don't think he understood the hidden message because two days later it was over between us. :(

yvonnecs
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Dec 2008, 8:28 pm

hale_bopp wrote:
yvonnecs wrote:
Do you?
I do. I also can't stand saying it. I feel wildly weird and uncomfortable when I do, or if I write Love, myname and then the other person doesn't sign off the same.

I also have a thing where some names are REALLY hard for me to say out loud. I have no idea why. Am I a freak alone or are you a freak too?

OH me too! I really don't like doing it!
I started to recently.. as i've also started saying peoples names too. Good to know there are a few people out there ;)

It used to really REALLy embarass me to say someones name. I would call the person "Them" as opposed to "<name>.

I grew up calling my parents different names than Mom or Dad. . .I refer to them as "your wife/your husband" now, it's so bizarre but I've always been this way. With my ex-husband I had to say his name to myself thousands of times until it became totally meaningless before I could ever call him that, and even then it was rare.

yvonnecs
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Dec 2008, 8:33 pm

pensieve wrote:
When I say 'I love you' to people I don't feel that I actually do. It's just words to me. When I do feel love for someone it's harder to say because I'm not sure if that person feels the same way and to save myself the embarrassment I don't say it.
As for cards I draw a heart as if saying love.
Actually the last card I gave to someone I loved was a drawing showing the two of us and a heart balloon. If that doesn't say I love you then what does?
I don't think he understood the hidden message because two days later it was over between us. :(

Eh. Mine always made noises that I never loved him, when I DID all sorts of things to show love, for an entire 11 years. The ones that can't see your own language for what it is in that time, well they aren't worth it.

KevinLA
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 8:35 pm

Can't stand it. Not sure I really love anyone in this world. I do it for people I am supposed to.

BastetsEye
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Dec 2008, 8:47 pm

LostInSpace, I'm sure just as you can say with love, you can also say with care, (rather than with caring). Although it might be construde in the careful sense rather than in the caring sense.

With affection hardly sounds like the sentiment I would express towards a friend, neither does, sincerley. It soujds to cold.

So I'm left with writing with love, or just Love, or writng nothing and just my name which always seems rather abrupt to me.

neshamaruach
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Dec 2008, 9:01 pm

Moop wrote:
neshamaruach wrote:
Yes, I love writing "love" on cards and I love saying "love" to people. I grew up very unloved, so I'm balancing the scales here.

I had never thought of that. Well, you'll always get cards that say that from me, and I mean it.
Love, Shane.

Shane, you are a total mensch. (Do you know what that word means or should I explain?)
Love, Neshama

Moop
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Location: Right here! Ya! Right behind the monitors glass! Get me out of here!

10 Dec 2008, 9:23 pm

neshamaruach wrote:
Moop wrote:
neshamaruach wrote:
Yes, I love writing "love" on cards and I love saying "love" to people. I grew up very unloved, so I'm balancing the scales here.

I had never thought of that. Well, you'll always get cards that say that from me, and I mean it.
Love, Shane.

Shane, you are a total mensch. (Do you know what that word means or should I explain?)
Love, Neshama

Explain it. I love stories! :D
Love, Shane

I've found the word love is used too loosely. I've looked up the word in the dictionary.
Love:
Quote:
an intense feeling of deep affection

So many people have said that they love me, but I don't think they really do according to the dictionary. At least the feeling is not mutual. I know when the feeling is right.

Last edited by Moop on 10 Dec 2008, 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

10 Dec 2008, 9:48 pm

I have no problem writing the word on cards to my family when I give them a birthday card.

Love, Beth.

At least I had no problem writing it just now. :wink:

neshamaruach
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Dec 2008, 10:03 pm

Moop wrote:
neshamaruach wrote:
Love, Neshama

Explain it. I love stories! :D
Love, Shane

"Mensch" is a Yiddish word. It's literal meaning is "man," but like most Yiddish words, its substantive meaning is very rich and very hard to translate. Here's my try; A mensch is a person who is decent when he doesn't have to be, who does something kind because it feels like the right thing to do. A mensch is a person with a good heart and a good mind, who doesn't trade in one for the other. A mensch is the kind of person who, when he sees a blind man selling pencils, gives the blind man the money, but doesn't take the pencils.

Get the idea?

Love,
Neshama

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 11:03 pm

To family I have not problem with it, but to anyone else, eve close friends.. I just sign my name and thats it.

BoringAl
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Dec 2008, 11:47 pm

I never write love in letters or cards. My wife does cards and I generally try to use email to communicate.

I always send with this format:

YourName-

This is a message.

MyName

I don't say it to people though other than my wife and kids. I feel very guilty about not saying it to my parents but it feels extremely weird to say it.

Once on the phone a relative of my wife's said "love you" at the end of a phone conversation and I froze. I was silent a bit and mumbled something and hung up. Very awkward.

Fortunately she has never said it to me again. :-)

NocturnalQuilter
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 11:51 pm

yvonnecs wrote:
I also can't stand saying it. I feel wildly weird and uncomfortable when I do, or if I write Love, myname and then the other person doesn't sign off the same.

Can I ask what it is you think is meant by, "Love, So-n-so"?
When I write it it's as though I'm wishing them love in their life, not that I love them.
Well, that's how I think of it......

malithion2
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Dec 2008, 12:29 am

I totally agree

FrogGirl
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Dec 2008, 12:31 am

I usually just sign my name at the bottom.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2008, 1:59 am

yvonnecs wrote:
Do you?
I do. I also can't stand saying it. I feel wildly weird and uncomfortable when I do, or if I write Love, myname and then the other person doesn't sign off the same.

I also have a thing where some names are REALLY hard for me to say out loud. I have no idea why. Am I a freak alone or are you a freak too?

same for me, yes. more when I was younger though. The entire post I agree with