Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2008, 11:21 pm

Something I posted over at the underground on Facebook:

"Well in the U.S. at least:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_Choice_Act
If you don't want to read the wikipedia article, what you need to know is here:
http://www.FightFOCA.com/
Obama said the first thing he would do when he got into office is sign the FOCA. I would like to note that FOCA is sponsored by Planned Parenthood (indirectly, but sponsored by it nonetheless), which is basically a eugenics organization.

Don't think that's a problem? maybe this will change your mind:
http://www.ventura33.com/clock/

The Autism Rights battle is coming to an endgame. This will be life or death, not for us, but for the next generation."

What do people think?

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2008, 11:50 pm

Well, I'm pro-choice but if I wanted to have a child and the prenatal test showed that it had autism I would not terminate.
I was going to be aborted (had my mum not said no) without any evidence of autism. Had there been any evidence well I don't know if I would even exist today. Scary thought.

I think I'm on the fence with this one.

-Vorzac-
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Dec 2008, 11:55 pm

Urm,

Firstly, the United States does not equal the whole world.

Secondly, what makes you think every couple is going to abort their child as if it was a defective product? A baby is for life, not just for Christmas.

Thirdly, Abortion has been legal in the United Kingdom since the late Sixties, and we still have plenty of Autistics.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2008, 11:55 pm

I want children at some point, and I wouldn't care what they have, they would be of my blood, and would be like a part of me. That alone is enough to have me raise any child of regardless of condition. I would never allow for the termination of a pregnancy of my child because it had a condition, that child could be the one to do something progressing societyto the next level, and terminating said child would forever prevent it.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 12:41 am

I alway like to see who Opposes an act, it is much more telling than who is for it.

(I especially appreciated how Francis Cardinal George unblinkingly holds poor people hostage for their health care. . .) that will show that Barack Hussein Obama!

The U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) has been vehemently opposed to the Freedom of Choice Act. According to the USCCB's Secretariat for Pro-Life Activites, FOCA would not only "codify the Supreme Court's 1973 decision in Roe v. Wade" but "in allowing and promoting abortion, FOCA goes far beyond even Roe."[6] On November 12, 2008, Francis Cardinal George, president of the USCCB, warned that FOCA would limit the right of Catholic hospitals and doctors to not offer abortions adding that, "those who support FOCA must realize that if Catholic hospitals are ever required to perform abortions, the bishops will close every one of them; no one would be hurt more than the poor."[7] Drawing on Pope Paul VI's encyclical Humanae Vitae, the Catholic apologist Frank M. Rega, S.F.O., writes[8]:

Polgara
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Dec 2008, 12:42 am

Quote:
Planned Parenthood ... which is basically a eugenics organization

Now, isn't that just plain silly. You are more likely to see people select against their own gene-sets http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Marching_Morons than to select against specific genetic types or perceived "defects".

Some of us have access to good, affordable reproductive health care through our health insurance. Some don't, and some don't have any health care insurance at all. Planned Parenthood can help people avoid having kids they're not ready for, or that they should not have because of a health condition. They also help people prevent STDs. When I was in college I got birth control pills from them for a really cheap price, way cheaper than through a doctor's office, so I could afford them.

As a personal note, when I was expecting my youngest child, my HMO doctor offered me amniocentesis to test for Down syndrome because of my "advanced age" (34), and had me sign a form to say I had been offered it and declined. I had the choice to test, and also to terminate. I didn't. But if anybody dares to presume that I or anybody else should not have that choice, they will see me get very, very verbal on their ass. :evil:

Barracuda
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 1:00 pm

I'm not going to reply to everyone who posted, but I'm just going to say a couple things:

FOCA is an awful act, no matter how you look at it. Any girl can get an abortion, any time, without needing to look at other options (adoption, et al.) or informing guardians. It will shut down most religious hospitals.

Second, the act alone isn't the awful thing, it's the prenatal testing for autism that is. It won't destroy the autistic community, but it will cut our numbers a whole hell of a lot.

Third, I generalize with Planned Parenthood. It does a lot of contraceptive work, but after conception, they want abortion as birth control.

NocturnalQuilter
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 1:39 pm

"We" don't "got a problem".
Maybe you got a problem, but certainly not we.

Fintan29
Toucan
Toucan

16 Dec 2008, 1:47 pm

Darn those people are idiots. I hope the FOCA doesn't get passed. And if prenatal tests take place, I only want them to do it to check what causes Autism, not help get rid of us or make us NTs. I hate when they say that autism is a "problem to be fixed". Besides, if they didn't have us Autistic people in the world, NTs alone would have Earth destroyed even sooner.

Also, I'm against abortion in general anyway.

ephemerella
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 2:27 pm

It is not anyone's right to force a woman to bear a child against her wishes.

The right to choose whether or not to have a baby has been under womens' control ever since the dawn of humanity. Anthropological and archeological research has shown that women have been practicing abortion for a hundred thousand years.

The question is not whether it is right or wrong to have an abortion or have a baby. The question is why is it anyone but the mother's decision? Like YOUR decision, to make in her place.

The same groups that fund and promote anti-abortion activism, also oppose sex education and contraception.

In a world where millions of women are enslaved for sex or childbearing, where women can be killed if they are raped, executed if they are caught having sex, refused visas, work, education, medical care and rights to live on their own or own property, and where these conditions are called "cultural preferences of a society" instead of slavery or gender apartheid, we have spent too much time and money focused on stripping from women here in the U.S. even the right to control the time and manner when she becomes a mother.

The FOCA, if enacted, will be long overdue, and should be part of a constitutional amendment giving the right of privacy, so the state cannot control the bodies and reproductive acts of women.

Mage
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 3:38 pm

Barracuda wrote:
Planned Parenthood ... which is basically a eugenics organization.

When you say something that absurd in your post, it's really hard to take anything else you say seriously.

You also forgot to mention how they take care of women's reproductive health by doing STD screenings, breast cancer screenings (and teaching women how to perform their own at home), treat UTIs and yeast infections, and testing for things like cervical cancer.

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 3:49 pm

I admit it, I am pro-choice but only to a degree. But as far as this goes, it's downright Nazism and it's disturbing that they could potentially find a way to wipe out those who are under the spectrum!

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 4:32 pm

Abortion rate of detected Down Syndrome: 90%

Public stereotype of Down Syndrome: More positive than autism

Likely abortion rate for autism: >90%.

May I note that many women are forced by financial and legal reasons to have abortions when they would otherwise not want them? It's very common that the unavailability of good child care forces a woman to choose between welfare an abortion... if she has the child, no one will take care of it on the salary she earns, so she has to quit her job, and welfare is the only way to survive... As always, lower middle class and working class women are most vulnerable, especially if their families do not support them.

If Planned Parenthood actually prefers choice, why do they not help women take care of babies they chose to keep? Why don't they help women keep their babies if they want to? Why don't they make adoptions easier and safer? All I'm seeing out of them is abortion and birth control. If they're really pro choice, it has to go both ways.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 6:16 pm

Callista wrote:
Abortion rate of detected Down Syndrome: 90%

Public stereotype of Down Syndrome: More positive than autism

Well, Downs people are generally portrayed as being dumb, though some can obviously support themselves to some degree. It is often obvious. They DO tend to be portrayed as nice.

Autistic people may be portrayed as dumb, though some can obviously do quite well. It may not be obvious at all. They may be portrayed as brats, or helpless.

You MIGHT be right, but the bit about the lack of appearance IS meaningful.

Callista wrote:
Likely abortion rate for autism: >90%.

May I note that many women are forced by financial and legal reasons to have abortions when they would otherwise not want them? It's very common that the unavailability of good child care forces a woman to choose between welfare an abortion... if she has the child, no one will take care of it on the salary she earns, so she has to quit her job, and welfare is the only way to survive... As always, lower middle class and working class women are most vulnerable, especially if their families do not support them.

If Planned Parenthood actually prefers choice, why do they not help women take care of babies they chose to keep? Why don't they help women keep their babies if they want to? Why don't they make adoptions easier and safer? All I'm seeing out of them is abortion and birth control. If they're really pro choice, it has to go both ways.

Planned Parenthood really ISN'T pro choice. Pro Choice REALLY means that you EDUCATE them on the options, facilitate the ability to choose, and let them decide. The church doesn't like abortion, but people would be FAR nicer towards them if they were REALLY pro choice.

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 6:19 pm

NocturnalQuilter wrote:
"We" don't "got a problem".
Maybe you got a problem, but certainly not we.

Thank you.

I may be a man, but I'm all for Pro-Choice.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 6:42 pm

I don't like abortion because you could be killing the cure for cancer.