Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Stereokid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Mar 2006, 4:44 pm

What college do you go to? What classes are you taking? :roll:

Maybe it's just me, but why does society have to expect so much from college students? When I was in high school and people asked me what school I went to, I could tell people the name of my school and be done with it.

Now I'm in college, and everytime someone asks me a question about what school I go to And I tell them college, they start asking me for more details. Here's a good movie-script type of scenario:

Market Basket customer: What school do you go to?
Me: College.
Market BAsket Customer: Really? What classes aRE YOU taking?
Me (worried that this customer will never leave me alone): Comp 2, etc .

And it's starting to annoy me. Why is it that when you're in college, people expect you to talk more about it, while high schoolers, middle schoolers, etc., are allowed to go on with their lives, when I'd rather talk about something else, such as stereos, ceiling fans, computers, etc.?

Anyone else ever been in similar situations when they were in college?

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2006, 11:13 am

I usually have more people ask me where I go and then what I'm majoring in. I guess I don't really find it annoying 'cause I like answering questions, hehe.

I go to a university in St. Louis. And I'm majoring in Psychology and minoring in Art.

And then I usually add in something like, "And I hope to attend WashU for graduate school."

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2006, 1:25 pm

South Trafford College,Alty.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

jman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2006, 1:31 pm

i goto a technical college and it's pretty good. They have great accomadation services, and have really helped me develop my professional/social skills, as well as my technical skills and talents. In april I will be graduating with an associates degree in information technology from Pittsburgh Technical Insitute. Another good thing about this school unlike other tech schools, this one is regionally accredited meaning I could transfer my credits to a university and go for bachelors or a masters if i wanted to.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2006, 9:53 pm

I think the difference arises from the fact that what you do in college reflects more on who you are. Nobody cares about high school courses because all highschoolers take similar ones. Everyone takes 4 years of English and all of that and few people learn anything special in High school. In college people take what interests them and they learn things that not everyone knows. What people take in college is actually pretty interesting, but what they do in high school isn't.

CuriousPrimate
Raven
Raven

19 Mar 2006, 11:18 am

Stereokid wrote:
Me (worried that this customer will never leave me alone): Comp 2, etc .

You could try telling them you're studying taxidermy or colonic irrigation. If you use the former, you could then ask if they have any pets... or aging relatives.

BTW I'm now feeling old 'cause it was about 20 years ago that I went to the Royal School of Mines in London.

odeon
Toucan
Toucan

19 Mar 2006, 3:08 pm

I'm feeling old, too. The university's 17 years back, now. :(

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2006, 2:23 pm

is this the geezer section? college started for me in 1988. when i was 31. that was a trip.

the last time i'd been around college kids before that, there was a war going on, the guys all had long hair and beards, and the smell of pot smoke was everywhere although everyone hid it as best they could so the wouldn't get arrested.

went to my first day of college and the professor had long hair and a beard, nobody knew what war was, and pot was more or less legal.

and half the class was functionally illiterate.

Jack_O_Lantern
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Mar 2006, 2:29 pm

Boston College.

TheBladeRoden
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2006, 3:10 pm

University of Wisconsin - Whitewater