Page 6 of 7 [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2006, 6:39 pm

Well that last comment was directed more at everyone than you specifically.

pooftis
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Mar 2006, 6:40 pm

Oh, thought you meant me. :)

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2006, 11:35 pm

Being snapped at and then snapping back is fighting fire with fire. But it's a natural reaction and I can't really say I blame anyone for it.

Considering Weyoun had about two or so posts in total for this thread, he's not the most avid of trolls if you wish to call him that. I'd suspect he was just saying his mind, albeit his opinion is distasteful to most of us. But I'm sure there's other autties out there (hopefully not the majority) who share his sentiment.

I still think it would be a better idea to start breeding for longevity of life and think this thread topic should shift to discussing the benefits of that instead. :P

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

odeon
Toucan
Toucan

22 Mar 2006, 3:44 am

Nomaken wrote:
But if you are wrong about him being a troll you may be driving away someone with genuine interests in a serious topic.

Yes but that's a risk I'm willing to take, considering the views made apparent by his first post in this thread. Serious or not, he has to deal with the fact that some people may take offense, and so far, he's not said or done anything to remedy that.

If you start a serious discussion by inadvertently annoying a lot of people, but then do nothing to correct the situation once you notice that the discussion isn't going in the right direction, then I'd still doubt your intentions.

odeon
Toucan
Toucan

22 Mar 2006, 3:49 am

Sophist wrote:
I still think it would be a better idea to start breeding for longevity of life and think this thread topic should shift to discussing the benefits of that instead. :P

OK, then take me out of the breeding loop. My grandfather died when he was 69 and my father when he was 68, so the odds are against me. :P

OTOH, they were both heavy smokers and I've actually managed to quit so maybe, just maybe...

redvelvet
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Mar 2006, 4:57 am

I can't get my head around that Aspies are on the autustic spectrum. I look at my daughter and son, my husband and daughters boyfriend, I don't see autisim, I see more than, more than me.
They are far more intelligent, far more understanding of people. far more frank and willing to talk about anything and everything, and they have a thirst for knowledge. My husband has given our children the best genes he has by passing on Aspergers. Even if we had known about Aspergers when we were newly married we would still have had kids.

Those that arn't sure whether to have children could always get genitically tested to learn what they do carry and could pass on to their future children.

If it wasn't for an Aspie we wouldn't be able to talk like this on the internet, we wouldn't have computers. :wink: The world would be a much smaller place.

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2006, 5:20 am

odeon wrote:

If you start a serious discussion by inadvertently annoying a lot of people, but then do nothing to correct the situation once you notice that the discussion isn't going in the right direction, then I'd still doubt your intentions.

Hmm, so the majority are always right? Interesting. Who's being like Hitler's compliant citizens now? What makes you think that the onus is on him to change the direction of the discussion? All he done was point out his view, (an admittadly offensive one that i disagree with personally) then we had a tide of over-emotional responses and personal attacks on this fellow in what should be an intellectual discussion. Either way, i agree with , Nomaken, if he is a troll, you people are just encouraging him (or to quote you "feeding him", something you advised the rest of us to avoid) to come back and get a rise out of you again.

odeon
Toucan
Toucan

22 Mar 2006, 5:33 am

eamonn wrote:
odeon wrote:

Hmm, so the majority are always right? Interesting. Who's being like Hitler's compliant citizens now? What makes you think that the onus is on him to change the direction of the discussion? All he done was point out his view, (an admittadly offensive one that i disagree with personally) then we had a tide of over-emotional responses and personal attacks on this fellow in what should be an intellectual discussion. Either way, i agree with , Nomaken, if he is a troll, you people are just encouraging him to come back and get a rise out of you again.

The majority is not always right. Whatever gave you that idea? If a lot of people are annoyed and that is not what you want, then I think it's a good idea to clear things up. It is the civilized thing to do.

Again: If he'd wanted a serious discussion, I think (or hope, rather) that he would have jumped in at some point and said "hey, that's not what I meant, but THIS is... so calm down" or something to that effect, if he in fact wanted an intellectual discussion.

As for over-emotional responses, if you included me in that description I need to point out that I'm not there by a long shot. Personal attacks? Nope, not that either, unless you think the "troll" classification is a personal attack.

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2006, 5:41 am

Well strictly speaking every time you insult someone, even mildly, it is a personal attack. Even when the insult is warranted. In reality, on the internet, a personal attack is when you do something to annoy a site moderator/admin. I think he said what he meant quite clearly. He thinks that Aspies are defective and shouldnt keep breeding. Iv heard quite a few people here say the same things about other groups but when it's an aspie we all get up in arms about it. I actually agree with danlo on this, if we want acceptance we should be more giving of it.

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2006, 5:44 am

odeon wrote:
Personal attacks? Nope, not that either, unless you think the "troll" classification is a personal attack.

LOL, i know what your trying to do here.

odeon
Toucan
Toucan

22 Mar 2006, 7:06 am

eamonn wrote:
odeon wrote:
Personal attacks? Nope, not that either, unless you think the "troll" classification is a personal attack.

???

odeon
Toucan
Toucan

22 Mar 2006, 7:15 am

Quote:
Well strictly speaking every time you insult someone, even mildly, it is a personal attack. Even when the insult is warranted.

Of course. Every insult is a personal attack. But not all opinions or interpretations are insults so the question here is, was he deliberately trying to stir the pot or did he simply express an opinion, albeit an offensive one? And is my interpretation of his actions as trolling an insult or just an interpretation?

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2006, 10:33 am

odeon wrote:
Quote:
Well strictly speaking every time you insult someone, even mildly, it is a personal attack. Even when the insult is warranted.

Of course. Every insult is a personal attack. But not all opinions or interpretations are insults so the question here is, was he deliberately trying to stir the pot or did he simply express an opinion, albeit an offensive one? And is my interpretation of his actions as trolling an insult or just an interpretation?

I suppose it all boils down to interpretation but in the event that this guy was putting down his genuine belief then he wasnt trolling and even if he was, very few people enjoy being called a troll so it was still an insult, not that i have problems with insults, carte blanche. Sometimes they are right but it's impossible to know just what crosses the boundaries as a warning offence here and as a pedant i find it really annoying. I suppose i could try and turn the other cheek when i am insulted to avoid any chance of being warned.

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2006, 10:37 am

odeon wrote:
eamonn wrote:

???

Forgive me if i misread your intentions as im too used to fly tricks by some of the members here. I presumed you were trying to get me warned because iv used that favourite buzzword of the internet "troll" a few times recently.

odeon
Toucan
Toucan

22 Mar 2006, 11:05 am

eamonn wrote:
odeon wrote:
eamonn wrote:

???

Forgive me if i misread your intentions as im too used to fly tricks by some of the members here. I presumed you were trying to get me warned because iv used that favourite buzzword of the internet "troll" a few times recently.

No, I wasn't trying anything like that, I'm not trying to get anyone warned here. I'm completely out of the loop in that respect, and I was just discussing this insult/troll thing with you as honestly as I could.

And regarding that, I respect your (and Nomaken's) opinion, and think it's probably wise(st) not to pursue the subject further. I don't think I can add a whole lot to that other discussion either, beyond what I've already said.

Chelbi
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Mar 2006, 12:51 pm

boy am I glad you have nothing to do with my family! Directly related to me I have brilliant engineers, computer programers, amazing musicians, outstanding mathmatics majors, many having done something that has impacted even your life! My uncle has created games for Chess Master, Disney, and numerous others. My dad has worked as an engineer at our local nuclear reactor site, as well as NASA, for over 30 years. My grandfather sang with the likes of Willie Nelson and Johnny Cash! My great grandfather, in between writing violin music, helped create atomic energy and said nuclear site.
But like you said, we are all a pathetic waste of time, and should be stopped from creating more like us. Just don't tell that to my four children and 8 nices and nephews!