Veteran

24 Feb 2009, 4:30 pm

We are known for being a bunch of worry-warts :P
I do get anxious alot over the silliest of things, especially social stuff

ItsMike
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Feb 2009, 2:54 am

It's the lifetime of rejection that caused my anxiety.

jacola
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Feb 2009, 7:36 am

I agree, & to make things worse, if you react a certain way you are in danger of being labeled with some type of disorder, cause you are more sensetive to negative experiences.

jacola

25 Feb 2009, 7:39 am

Padium wrote:
If I have anxiety, it rarely bothers me.

Why is that ? do you avoid situations that you know will cause you stress or anxiety ?

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2009, 7:50 am

jacola wrote:
Padium wrote:
If I have anxiety, it rarely bothers me.

Why is that ? do you avoid situations that you know will cause you stress or anxiety ?

The most stressful thing in my life is a time limit, and time limits motivate me to get things done. I don't really feel stressfrom other things, I have learned to not feel stressed about a lot of things, and it is only really huge things that would really bother most normal people that make me stressed. I am just a very carefree person in general.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2009, 10:18 am

jacola wrote:
What differculties ( mentaly & physically ) do you experiences with your condition, & how do you deal with them, iam intrigued.

Pretty much all that are defined by AS and classical autism. I don't really deal with it in the sense that I have special copying mechanisms. It's just the way it is mostly and I got to live with that.

I experience the non-verbal impairment still fully seeing how it hasn't changed that much since childhood. I can hardly read faces of people. I lack empathy and I'm still struggling with basic TOM. Nevertheless I navigate fine socially these days because of several factors that I have no control over coming together.

I have the routines as described here experiencing an inability to function. I'm also highly impulsive and hyperactive what makes my routines are very random and in-between. I might be fine with something huge and at another time get meltdown-y at the food arranged wrongly.

I am struggling with talking sometimes and I have trouble with language and speech.

That's the core issues for AS and classical I can think of spontaneously.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2009, 10:28 am

philosopherBoi wrote:
I was wondering do autistic people get anxious more often and more intently that other people? If so is it something we are born with or does interaction with our environment cause it?

Oh if your wondering I am asking because I cannot look back in my past and solve this problem due to all the crap I went through.

That would make an interesting research question. How does one quantify anxiety?

ruveyn

jacola

25 Feb 2009, 11:07 am

I belive there are 3 main reasons why people who have aspergers are more pron to anxiety than others.

1. enviromental

2. co ordination problems : dyspraxia or very flexable body

3. genetics in the news today they have discovered a gene that makes people less negative, and always looking on the postive sides

ItsMike
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Mar 2009, 4:07 am

This is how I quantify my anxiety:

Level 1 All the time.
Level 2 Walking into a building full of people
Level 3 Walking into a building full of people and knowing that I'm going to have to speak
Level 4 Actually speaking to strangers in a work setting
Level 5 Actually speaking to strangers in a social setting
Level 6 Speaking to several people at once in any setting
Level 7 Giving a book report in front of the class in the seventh grade
Level 8 Singing the National Anthem at the Super Bowl
Level 9 Figuring out what to do right after someone tells me to go away.
Level 10 Shut down

Last edited by ItsMike on 02 Mar 2009, 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

princesseli
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2009, 4:30 am

Thats an interesting question on whether people with our disorders are naturally more anxious.

I personally dont associate my anxiety being genetically linked to aspergers. I figured if my anxiety is genetic, its a seperate entity. But I also think its heavily associated with my enviorenment cause Im often do lots of things that i shouldnt do and dont do a lotta things that i should do. Its like how am I suppose to be not a worrywart and gain confidence when people are telling me at the same time that some of the stuff i do is inappropriete. How does this balance? when i cant guage very well?

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2009, 5:41 am

No, see, here's where things get annoying:

NTs tell us to calm down all the time, just "re-laaaaaaaax"...but when all chaos breaks out, WHO DO THEY COME TO TO BAIL THEM OUT EVERY SINGLE TIME?! !! !! !! !! !!

Oh yeah, NTs are REALLY relaxed, SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURE. They're relaxed when things GO SMOOTHLY; otherwise they'd trip and fall over themselves.

No...they're just better at hiding it than we are, that's all.

jacola

05 Mar 2009, 1:33 pm

princesseli wrote:
Thats an interesting question on whether people with our disorders are naturally more anxious.

I personally dont associate my anxiety being genetically linked to aspergers. I figured if my anxiety is genetic, its a seperate entity. But I also think its heavily associated with my enviorenment ca that some of the stuff i do is inappropriete. How does this balance? when i cant guage vuse Im often do lots of things that i shouldnt do and dont do a lotta things that i should do. Its like how am I suppose to be not a worrywart and gain confidence when people are telling me at the same timeery well?

What are the things you do, that you shouldnt do ?

What are the things you are supposed to do ?

jacola

05 Mar 2009, 1:48 pm

TheDoctor82 wrote:
No, see, here's where things get annoying:

NTs tell us to calm down all the time, just "re-laaaaaaaax"...but when all chaos breaks out, WHO DO THEY COME TO TO BAIL THEM OUT EVERY SINGLE TIME?! !! !! !! !! !!

Oh yeah, NTs are REALLY relaxed, SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURE. They're relaxed when things GO SMOOTHLY; otherwise they'd trip and fall over themselves.

No...they're just better at hiding it than we are, that's all.

We are all NTs at the end of the day, just with higher stress & anxiety levels, which are made harder to deal with when we are told we are not normal & are labeled with a condition, which makes us either more self consious or we can except this lable, giving us more reason to shut ourselfs away & not even bother make things easier, I know because ive been labled and find it damn hard dealing with people & life but cause my son has aspergers, ive had no choice but to face things for my sons sake, ive learnt to control my stress & anxiety, due to having no choice in facing my fears & you know what , its not as bad as you think. We are normal, nobody is perfect....