Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2009, 2:21 pm

Padium wrote:
Only problem with writing left handedly with pencil is it tends to smear into most people's hands, I observed this on a lot of lefties I know.

Then, as I said, they do the writing wrong. The same could happen to a right hander who would write in a way that is unfit for him.

The problem is probably that most left-handers try to write like right-handers. Leading to them doing the funniest things with their hands.That can't work.

I write with my left hand and I never smear anything. And I prefer to write with ink only, so it could smear quite a lot.

Padium wrote:
I am not left handed, I am somewhat mixed handed.

Mixed-handedness exists. That's when you do some things better with one hand or prefer to do them with that hand and do some things better with your other hand.

Jannih wrote:
<<<No.

Left-handedness isn't a disorder, as it doesn't impact on one's functioning in any discernable way compared to one's peers in social, educational and vocational ability. You can also learn to use your right hand for things; you can't learn to overcome an ASD
. >>>

Some people with ASD do not view themselves as having a disability.

Maybe they're not disabled, but they must be impaired.

If they're not and/or have never been impaired, they shouldn't be diagnosed with one of the ASDs.

Icheb
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2009, 2:27 pm

Jannih wrote:
I am left handed and not so long ago, I said to my dad, "funny, but I am the only one in the family who is left handed". His reply was that he was left handed but forced to to write right handed by his teachers. That was in the 1920s and 1930s. He also says that as a child he stuttered as a result.

Interesting. My mother is left-handed, was forced to write with her right hand as a kid, and began to stutter as a result.

Individualisation is the big societal trend today. Soon you will hardly be able to tell the difference between NTs and Aspies.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2009, 3:51 pm

Sora wrote:
ItsMike wrote:
"Left-handedness isn't a disorder, as it doesn't impact on one's functioning in any discernable way"

Are you kidding? Have you ever tried to write a long letter with a pencil Daniel? Take a look at your writing hand after you've written that page.

I don't understand that, I think. What would be wrong with my hand after writing?

I can just imagine that you mean if you were writing in a wrong position that messes up your hand.

But then that's got nothing to do with left-handedness.

You've got to learn how to correctly position your left hand as much as you have to learn to correctly position your right hand when writing.

Only problem with writing left handedly with pencil is it tends to smear into most people's hands, I observed this on a lot of lefties I know.

Sora wrote:
ItsMike wrote:
And then there's all the doors in the world which open backwards, and the buttons on shirts which are on the wrong side,

I don't understand why this is a problem. Or why you think it's do to with left-handedness.

Doors are made so that they open in a way that works best to use the space appropriately. They open right or left depending on the overall architectural design.

(And when I open a door and step through, and turn around the handle will always be on the other side. There isn't much you can do about that.)

Buttons on clothes for males and females are differently set. Though they break with this tradition nowadays a lot.

So both have nothing to do with handedness originally.

I often use my left hand for a lot of doors based on how they are set. I only use my right hand when it is a single door and the handle is in a certain position. I use my left on almost all double doors, as I approach the middle, and take the left, which is easier to use my left hand for. I am not left handed, I am somewhat mixed handed.

Sora wrote:
ItsMike wrote:
And what about the "on" button on cell phones? Why aren't they on the right side of keypad where you can reach them with your thumb?

If my right hand is needed for something that requires more dexterity (something I somewhat lack, and more so in the left from limited use as it just makes more sense to mostly use one hand for all the more dexterous things), then I use the cell phone in the left, which is no harder than the right for me. My right may be dominant, but I do often use both.

Why can't you reach the button with your thumb anyway? I always do this when the phone's in my left-hand anyway.
[/quote]

EDIT: Forgot to add that O will use my cell in either hand, and the only preference I have is that if my right hand is free, it goes to the right. But it is just as easy right or left. A mouse feels unnatural in the left hand though, and controlling character movement in a video game or computer game feels unnatural in the right hand. Yes most games use the arrow keys for movement, but they also use wasd commonly too. And I am always stuck on wasd, and cannot comprehend how to use arrow keys for movement. If I have to use the arrow keys for movement, I will try and find a way to use the mouse instead (which is my second preferred movement technique).

I even wish I could hit a key to allow the use of wasd to control more directional things the arror keys are used for.

Last edited by Padium on 02 Mar 2009, 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2009, 5:25 pm

I'm left handed, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2009, 9:34 pm

I agree there's a link with ASDs and left-handedness. I'm one of three people in my entire family who's left-handed, and the other two are my mother's cousins, who I don't share much genetic material with. I'm a proponent of the testosterone theory, and I believe that's why I'm left-handed.
-OddDuckNash99-

Nash: Is there a difference?

CelticRose
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2009, 10:41 pm

Tahitiii wrote:
Keyball:

Ok, to get started, picture a bowling ball, but make it of a lighter material. Cut grooves in the sides of it for all your fingers, so it’s easy to hold on to. Put four or five little buttons at the end of each groove that are easy for each finger to reach. The function keys and any number of other extra buttons can go in the middle and down the back. Flatten the bottom of the ball and put a gadget on it that’s comparable to a mouse. The thumbs can give leverage and still manage the space bar, the shift and the return (enter) key, and they can manage the mouse without leaving home.

Once the concept is established, we can go crazy with customized versions. Make them in different sizes for the tiniest child or the biggest adult. Program them in mirror image for lefties (“string it backwards”) or in different configurations for various handicaps. The actual function of each key is arbitrary – it’s electronic – in theory, we can program it any way we want.

Any takers?

And how exactly would this work for a laptop?

Also, being petite and having difficulty finding things that fit me, I can easily envision manufacturers making only a limited range of sizes based on what sells best -- just like they do for clothing, etc. now.

Autism Speaks does not speak for me. I am appalled to discover that Alex Plank has allied himself with an organization that is dedicated to eliminating autistic people. I no longer wish to have anything to do with Wrong Planet. Delete this account.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2009, 11:18 pm

ItsMike wrote:
Are you kidding?

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2009, 11:26 pm

Danielismyname wrote:
ItsMike wrote:
Are you kidding?

The lefthandedness show, the strokes are different from the mahjority of people's... But I would not assume that makes it lefthanded. It is just stroked differently from most people's writing.

ItsMike
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Mar 2009, 3:15 am

Or maybe sarcasm, I'm not real clear on the difference. All those things I wrote about are things that happen to me and are annoying. But it was just some fun written to get a little chuckle.

P.S. The answer to your question is that lefties get their writing hand all dirty from dragging it behind what they write. Unless you're one of the people who write with their hand curled around in a big semi-circle, which looks painful and awkward to me. I spent all my school years with my writing hand covered with pencil lead, and all my papers with smeared writing. Maybe that's not a big deal to some people, but it did bug me because I hardly ever was able to turn in a school paper that looked neat and tidy.

Even so, I wouldn't change being left handed either. For all the annoying little things that I put up with, it still makes me feel special.

Fo-Rum
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Mar 2009, 4:22 am

Quote:
Have you ever tried to use a pair of siccors? One of the reasons I failed art class in the seventh grade is because I couldn't use siccors, the darn things were all right handed.

This is actually your own fault. A little bit of observation would have shown you how scissors work. They work by the blades being pressured together, and you can press them together using your left hand. They were just designed to naturally press together for right handed people. I am left handed, and I figured that out as a child because they never had left handed scissors available. When they became available, I turned them down because I didn't need them.

A lot though is designed to be convenient for right handed people obviously, and that sucks for us left handed people. Oh well.

whatamess
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 2:35 am

I can't imagine it will be accepted as being left-handed has...and the reason? In order for them to accept left-handedness they lost nothing...it was just a difference and thus, it was ok...

For NTs to accept AS, it would mean that they are no longer "superior"...When/if more research is done into AS and how much smarter people with AS are, well, the NTs will definitely debunk that really quickly...they would never allow someone who was once labeled to have a disability to be later labeled smarter than them...sad, but true.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 8:57 am

whatamess wrote:
I can't imagine it will be accepted as being left-handed has...and the reason? In order for them to accept left-handedness they lost nothing...it was just a difference and thus, it was ok...

For NTs to accept AS, it would mean that they are no longer "superior"...When/if more research is done into AS and how much smarter people with AS are, well, the NTs will definitely debunk that really quickly...they would never allow someone who was once labeled to have a disability to be later labeled smarter than them...sad, but true.

We are not all smarter than them. Only in a relatively narrow field of interest are most of us smarter...

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2009, 12:48 pm

ItsMike wrote:
P.S. The answer to your question is that lefties get their writing hand all dirty from dragging it behind what they write. Unless you're one of the people who write with their hand curled around in a big semi-circle, which looks painful and awkward to me.

I was actually referring to this method of curling your hand/arm around to write from above as false. Anyway, it would bug me too if I would smear my writing.

Okay I'm really curious how you write now!

I really can't imagine how writing with your left hand could smear unless you would position your hand right on the writing. Which would be strange to me; my hand never once touches the writing so it cannot smear. My hand is position below the writing as that of a right-hander would be.

The few people my age whom I know all write from above in this curled position and only one writes like me.

I'm going to describe how I write.

The positions of hands and paper of my right hand is just mirrored when I'm writing with my left hand.

That means my hand is positioned below the writing as that of most right-handers. Of course, my paper also is positioned accordingly. A right-hander would have the above right corner of their papers positioned higher/further away from them than the above left corner. Writing with my left hand, I need the above left corner to be higher than the above right corner so I'm able to comfortably write without smearing anything.

For the more visual users (like me):

Whether one smears their writing or not could be about hand sizes too of course. Or length of fingers. Or how one holds their writing tools probably.

Dee_
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Mar 2009, 10:57 pm

I was initially left handed. The school system forced me to do things right handed when I was a kid. I ended up be ambidexterious.

I was not verbal until I was 4 1/2. When I started talking, I was in speech class in most of my elementary years due to a speech impediment (stuttering and sound).

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2009, 10:05 am

Dee_ wrote:
I was initially left handed. The school system forced me to do things right handed when I was a kid. I ended up be ambidexterious.

Well, true ambidexterity would mean you had no preference to begin with. Being forced to change hands is not synonyms to being ambidextrous in the actual sense, though often the word is used in informal contexts to refer to those with mixed-handedness or changed handed-ness.

Asmodeus
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2009, 11:31 am

I use use most things right handed, but write and do a couple of others left.

I could see AS gaining a similar reputation in society to left-handedness.