Page 3 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

mechanima
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2009, 9:54 pm

Sallamandrina wrote:
The fact that so many NTs think their experiences are universal. If something worked well for them - it has to work for everybody else. I often get the most stupid (unrequested) advice and people expect you to be grateful for it :twisted: and will see you as lazy or arrogant for not appreciating these pearls of wisdom.

Ah yes, I am quite *fond* of that charming twist in human nature myself...

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2009, 10:44 pm

NT's are so much like cattle it is not funny. Maybe we can put Temple in charge of directing them.

ngonz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Mar 2009, 12:05 am

I can hardly believe that my family is NT. I have always considered myself to be the normal one in the family---now finding out that I have Asperger's. I still say I am more normal and higher developed than they are. I have higher-- much higher-- morals and ethics than my family. I am still shocked after 50 years at how my parents put money, themselves and what the neighbors might say over anything else. They don't see the big picture when it comes to what's important in life and in a lifetime. Yet they are big on church. My NT family has never lived what they preached, and I just don't get that. What's the point in that?? It's just a waste of breath.

Some examples: When my unmarried sister got pregnant, my mother bullied her into getting an abortion and then lied about it. When my husband was having a really difficult time with horrible seizures and was about to have brain surgery, my dad told me to "go to the newspapers and sell my story" to make a lot of money off people's sympathy. I said, "Sorry, but my dignity and is not for sale." He just snorted.

Another thing that bothers me: How NT's are so anal about rules. They can't see when there might be an instance when it is not only kind, but appropriate to ignore, bend or disobey minor rules. It has to be either a power thing or a fear factor there.

www.neurointegrity.com

stonemask
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Mar 2009, 12:28 am

I'd have to say that the strangest NT reactions I've seen. Were when i was kid when asked what i wanted to be when i grew up I would always say either an artist or a scientist. Then of course came the stares and the apparently obvious confusion. But probably the weirdest reaction i get today is when i tell NTs that i listen to "Gansta" rap. Of course the reaction depends on the individual especially since I'm white and VERY VERY much a nerd. People outside the hip-hop community look at me like a freak and of course with in that community they look at me the same way. Right up until I start listing off rappers I listen to. This has gotten me some respect in the past, but then the people that have given me respect for this fact are degenerates and morons so i don't know. And i despise most everything that they (rappers) stand for abusing women, theft, killing, selling drugs, pimping, etc... So in the end I don't know why I listen to it other than the fact I like it. :? :oops: :? :oops: :? :oops: :?

Last edited by stonemask on 07 Mar 2009, 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2009, 12:28 am

Not all NT's are like this, but a majority are. :-( NT's as a general rule have so many petty rules about how to wear one's clothes. A wrong fold here, or lack of a fold their, and it is an instant point of laughter to them. The same goes for the marks on their shoes, etc. I think NT style games are so, so petty. Unfortunately, they are the majority, and we have to emulate their pettiness in order to succeed in their world. What is also sad about them is the fact that they will work, scrimp, save, borrow (and even steal in some cases) to finance their retirement. What usually happens is that they die a couple of years after retirement or they require care and the government ends up consuming their substance. It would be nice if it were true that autistics are becoming a bigger and bigger percentage of the population. I think autistics have more compassion and empathy in many areas than NT's. I also think that NT's have more compassion and empathy in other areas as well. With the exception of a few, I try not to hang around NT's. I don't understand them, and I have had enough experiences not to trust many of them.

ItsMike
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Mar 2009, 7:29 am

I tried to improve myself through chemistry too. Back in the 70's is was all the rage. Didn't get rid of my Asperger's Syndrome, but it did make it a lot more fun. At least from what I can remember of it.

Metal_Man
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2009, 10:09 am

Like many others it is the inability for NT's to grasp how one can be creative and self-taught. So many of them think that school is the only place to learn. Once outside of that artificial environment you can't learn anything.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2009, 10:17 am

One time, I told a man that I feel more comfortable around certain people and I didn't feel comfortable around others. He asked, "Isn't that normal?"

I told that same man in the mist of an argument, when he was saying that I should change to suit the mainstream population, that I have a mild form of autism. He said, "I don't care!"

Let's just say that him and I aren't friends, anymore. That happened over 5 years ago, anyways. We've both moved on to better things.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2009, 11:23 am

stonemask wrote:
But probably the weirdest reaction i get today is when i tell NTs that i listen to "Gansta" rap. Of course the reaction depends on the individual especially since I'm white and VERY VERY much a nerd. People outside the hip-hop community look at me like a freak and of course with in that community they look at me the same way. Right up until I start listing off rappers I listen to. This has gotten me some respect in the past, but then the people that have given me respect for this fact are degenerates and morons so i don't know. And i despise most everything that they (rappers) stand for abusing women, theft, killing, selling drugs, pimping, etc... So in the end I don't know why I listen to it other than the fact I like it. :? :oops: :? :oops: :? :oops: :?

LOL this sounds so much like what I have to deal with on a daily basis. I'm a girl, a white girl at that, and I'm not a teenager anymore, and apparently this combination just does not go with listening to rap. you wouldn't believe the stares I get, especially at work (my usual office attire is quite classical, but I listen to my music on big headphones so I wouldn't have to listen to the crappy soft-rock radio that the rest of the employees listen to).

it's funny that even "liberals" that I know resent me for listening to rap. they usually ask if I just listen to old-school and when I say that no, I listen to a lot of recent stuff too, they start the tirade about deprecating women and all the other stuff you've mentioned... :roll:

anyway, when I was a kid I always wanted to become a truck driver, and that also got me some strange looks. I don't think I would've gotten such strange looks if I said that I wanted to be an engineer (I come from a long line of engineers), but being considered a somehow "gifted" child I simply could NOT wish for anything other than university education, my parents told me numerous times to say stuff like doctor or lawyer and forget about my beloved trucks.

which brings me to another thing that I don't get about NTs- the constant lying to make oneself look more "normal", or rather more like the rest (I wouldn't say the majority is normal, I think they are all mad). I speak my mind and I don't pretend to be someone I'm not, and I keep getting in trouble for it.

another thing that baffles me about NTs is their double standards. example- I live in a smallish town, everybody knows everybody on my street, and there's a bunch of oldies who spend their days spying on their neighbours and gossiping about them (and also generously giving out advice about how they should live, raise their kids, dress etc). so anyway, there's only a few single people in their twenties that live on my street, and only two single girls- me and one other. the other girl is quite popular with boys and very social, so obviously she is considered "slut" by the oldies. and there's me, practically a hermit, and I also get my fair share of crap being told about how it's weird that I'm still not married, and that there must be something wrong with me.

so either way, one can't satisfy the "public opinion", unless one gets married at 22 with the first guy she meets and then spend the rest of her life with an alcoholic wife-beater like all the old women have done when they were young. it doesn't matter that your choice is the wrong one, as long as it's what everyone does, it's what makes it correct. anything out of the ordinary is pathological- you're either a mad old spinster or a slut.

ngonz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Mar 2009, 11:33 am

ItsMike wrote:
I tried to improve myself through chemistry too. Back in the 70's is was all the rage. Didn't get rid of my Asperger's Syndrome, but it did make it a lot more fun. At least from what I can remember of it.

Chemistry is HARD! I never really understood it. I took all the science I could in high school so that I never had to do it ever again in college. :p

www.neurointegrity.com

AnnePande
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2009, 11:37 am

Sallamandrina wrote:
The fact that so many NTs think their experiences are universal. If something worked well for them - it has to work for everybody else. I often get the most stupid (unrequested) advice and people expect you to be grateful for it :twisted: and will see you as lazy or arrogant for not appreciating these pearls of wisdom.

Yeah, I've experienced that too.

Wonder where in the world that "Theory of Mind" thing has gone?? :roll:

(Hmm, maybe it was only a ... theory... :lol: )

Last edited by AnnePande on 07 Mar 2009, 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

pbcoll
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2009, 11:41 am

gina-ghettoprincess wrote:
(Explanations for this if possible, please):

Once we watched a video about domestic abuse at school, and at the end I said exactly what my reaction always is to these kinds of scenarios: "Why would anyone stay with a guy who hits them?" The NTs around me acted like I'd said something awful. The correct answer, it would appear, was, "How could anyone do that to someone they love?" (which IMO is a stupid statement, cos they obviously don't love them if they are abusing them, do they?). I am baffled as to why I got the negative reaction, when the boy next to me had said, "That video was rubbish, there wasn't enough blood!" :roll:

In that specific matter, people like to ignore the elephant in the living room: that women in the West do choose their partners in the first place, and they do have a choice to leave or stay - and if they do choose to stay, then they bear some responsibility for that situation, since it's the result of their choices. People don't want to admit this because it's only an extreme form of very common behaviour: women choosing, and staying with, men that treat them badly; more broadly, it's common for people, men and women, to choose to stay in awful relationships when they have alternatives (fear of admitting failure, fear of being single, etc). Because the same reasoning can apply to so many less extreme cases, people don't want to hear it, as it brings their own judgement into question. And you're right, if they loved them they wouldn't beat them up (but people prefer to pretend they are loved). Asking for more gore doesn't question anybody's judgement, hence people don't mind.
I've learned often it's better to stay silent rather than saying unpleasant truths.

El hombre es una bestia famélica, envidiosa e insaciable. (Francisco Tario)

I'm male by the way (yes, I know my avatar is misleading).

Pook
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Mar 2009, 12:00 pm

cubedemon6073 wrote:
I am glad I found other aspies like myself. Finally, in my entire life I have a group of people I can be my natural self around. I do not have to be someone I am not, around here.

Monstrous ditto.

I am often baffled at their backstabbing and outright rude behavior. And then yet NTs have the audacity to role their eyes at people who speak exactly what's on their mind and mostly shun them.

pbcoll
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2009, 12:13 pm

Sallamandrina wrote:

Yes, and we're the ones that are supposed to lack empathy. Just because it worked for you and some of your buddies doesn't mean it will work for me, or that I want the same thing. Actually, that you might not want or enjoy the same things as them is usually completely beyond their comprehension.

El hombre es una bestia famélica, envidiosa e insaciable. (Francisco Tario)

I'm male by the way (yes, I know my avatar is misleading).

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2009, 12:29 pm

pbcoll wrote:
Because the same reasoning can apply to so many less extreme cases, people don't want to hear it, as it brings their own judgement into question [...] Asking for more gore doesn't question anybody's judgement, hence people don't mind.

Yes! That's the insight I was looking for, but I hadn't quite succeeded in putting the finger where exactly it hurts them. Thanks for sharing, I've learnt something new today.

This is how I keep alienating people - by inadvertedly raising a mirror to the ugly part of their faces.

vivinator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Mar 2009, 2:52 pm

ngonz wrote:
I can hardly believe that my family is NT. I have always considered myself to be the normal one in the family---now finding out that I have Asperger's. I still say I am more normal and higher developed than they are. I have higher-- much higher-- morals and ethics than my family. I am still shocked after 50 years at how my parents put money, themselves and what the neighbors might say over anything else. They don't see the big picture when it comes to what's important in life and in a lifetime. Yet they are big on church. My NT family has never lived what they preached, and I just don't get that. What's the point in that?? It's just a waste of breath.

Some examples: When my unmarried sister got pregnant, my mother bullied her into getting an abortion and then lied about it. When my husband was having a really difficult time with horrible seizures and was about to have brain surgery, my dad told me to "go to the newspapers and sell my story" to make a lot of money off people's sympathy. I said, "Sorry, but my dignity and is not for sale." He just snorted.

Another thing that bothers me: How NT's are so anal about rules. They can't see when there might be an instance when it is not only kind, but appropriate to ignore, bend or disobey minor rules. It has to be either a power thing or a fear factor there.

Huh? Isn't this associated with aspies too if not NTs?

-HL Mencken

-as of now official dx is ADHD (inattentive type) but said ADD (314.00) on the dx paper, PDD-NOS and was told looks like I have NLD