Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Fort56
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Mar 2009, 11:30 am

Doesn't it seem weird to them that millions of people that don't even know each other and have never been in contact have the exact same sensory issues, stereotypy etc.? Many of these people don't even know the word for their condition.

DeLoreanDude
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 11:34 am

Fort56 wrote:
Doesn't it seem weird to them that millions of people that don't even know each other and have never been in contact have the exact same sensory issues, stereotypy etc.? Many of these people don't even know the word for their condition.

Exactly.

The people who say it aint real are just trolling anyway so it don't matter.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 11:46 am

Yeah, they are probably just trolls. And if many people have been diagnosed with it, it exists.

SpongeBobRocksMao!

AmberEyes
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 11:47 am

I have to say at first that I was skeptical.

I thought that my assessment all those years ago was a genuine mistake given what other people had said. Many people have told me that AS is a made up condition or label, so I should just "forget about it".

But given all of these difficulties that myself and others seem to be having, I can't just forget about it. It's even odder that I'm having these issues and am female.

But something's definitely going on.

I've looked at all the evidence as objectively as I can.
I'm seriously starting to think that this thing has some kind of biological basis to it, perhaps exacerbated by the environment that one's brought up in.

It's almost spooky. All these people having similar experiences can't just be down to pure chance.

What I also find very frightening is that a lot of people are being negatively judged/stigmatised/denied opportunities just on the basis of their social abilities.

gary1984
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Mar 2009, 11:55 am

I was astonished to speak to a stranger online a few years ago (who also has aspergers), and previously to this we never spoke before. As it turns out we got chatting and they have exactly the same obsessions as I had. Its not an obsession that is your everyday coincidence. It was like my twin or something :)

Aspergers is real, though to what extent I don't know. If they take away the name aspergers, the symptoms will still be there. They think that some old composers had aspergers, and einstein showed signs from a young age too.

Aspergers or not, I don't really mind to be honest. I know things are complicated, thats for sure :wink:

Fo-Rum
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Mar 2009, 11:59 am

It is an undeniable fact that not everyone is the same (although everyone shares similarities). Is is also quite common for somebody to have difficulty somewhere, whether they get a label or not. So, it is pretty much irrelevant whether AS is fake or not, since just about everyone seems to be messed up in one way or another (messed up either by social standards or medical standards).

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 12:01 pm

Fort56 wrote:

Again, I remember that this forum is full of posts/threads saying that AS apperars in different ways in diferent people.

Fort56
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Mar 2009, 12:10 pm

TPE2 wrote:
Fort56 wrote:

Again, I remember that this forum is full of posts/threads saying that AS apperars in different ways in diferent people.

Yeah, there are differences, but there are also similarities.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 12:50 pm

when you are 46, duxed just about everything at school and yet couldn't cope with people, or noise or certain smells or tastes... when you self-medicated to the extent you ended up on the streets (when you were told you SHOULD have been SUCCESSFUL because you were so SMART,) ...when you lived most of your years on a pension in spite of your intelligence or brightness...when you have little to do with people if you are not reminded because you know you do not understand how to relate with them in a group..when you spend ten or more hours a day with special interests...when you finally turn a special interest into a career only to be told by the establishment you ar NOT OK because your approach is too individualised and novel. and you do not jump through the disgnated hoops everyone EXCEPT YOU JUMPS THROUGH..when you CANNOT stay in an adult study environment longterm - usually because of sensory issues...when you cannot organise your things or your life well...when you struggle to keep up with a conversation involving more than two people (unles you are dominating and giving a monologue on a special interest) ...when you live in a family but dislike touch unless it is firm pressure...when you get nauseous looking in peoples' eyes, even your own son's...when you adhere to routines obsessively...when you collect things...when you walk on your toes whenever your feet are out of shoes...when you stim and flick your hands and tap your body...when your stress and anxiety is almost constantly pitched to fight/flight response...when you stay home on bad sensory days because it is just too much........

all made up..every single example.

hypochondria. i just want an excuse to opt out. :wink:

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 12:56 pm

A lot of people think the holocaust was fake too. You can't reason with people because people (NTs especially) are irrational. Instead, I appeal to their emotions.

With a swift "Get the f**k out of my way" glare and I move on.

ghfreak13579
Raven
Raven

11 Mar 2009, 1:38 pm

Asperger's is indeed real because me and about 95% of the people on this website also have it, although most neurotypicals are very skeptical and think our condition is a ''conspiracy theory''.

UndercoverAlien
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 2:37 pm

nah its been pretty much proven, those who think its fake don't do any research.

11 Mar 2009, 2:42 pm

People who think AS is fake just don't understand. They have never read the memoir books about AS to see it is indeed real and to see how difficult it really is. They hear about AS and know "oh that's everybody" so they think it's made up.

There are so many conditions out there that are made up and some are ridiculous. I mean are they going to come up with a word for ignorance and make that a condition and bam they now have en excuse to be ignorant? They already made up a word for laziness and that explained to me why I suffer from being lazy. But I still think it's bull and I just need to keep working at it to get over it and I will do fine. I just need to be motivated and I often have to force myself to get things done and do it. I was told everyone has to do things we don't want to do and we all have to force ourselves. Does that mean we all have executive dysfunction? What is the difference? I suppose that means people with depression have it too because when you are depressed, it makes it harder for us to do things and be motivated. I still had to push myself through depression, I've worked as I was depressed. Of course I had thought about making a thread about this but then I might have been called a troll for it if I did despite calling myself lazy. Now doctors have came up with a word for that and for when you are unable to get rid of your things because you are too emotionally attached to it, I suppose my grandparents had it too because they kept their things they had over the years and didn't use them anymore, my parents still have computers that don't work and they haven't tossed them out yet, my dad keeps junk in his office and doesn't toss them out, there are people who do not toss out their magazines or get rid of their vintage games because they collect them, does that mean they have executive dysfunction? Puh-lease. :roll:

I refuse to get rid of my unwatched DVDs and video games I don't even play. I might need them again.

(Rant over)

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 3:21 pm

Fort56 wrote:

*agrees* AS is definitely real.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 3:30 pm

Fo-Rum wrote:
It is an undeniable fact that not everyone is the same (although everyone shares similarities). Is is also quite common for somebody to have difficulty somewhere, whether they get a label or not. So, it is pretty much irrelevant whether AS is fake or not, since just about everyone seems to be messed up in one way or another (messed up either by social standards or medical standards).
It's relevant because if one group of people seems to have the same pattern of difficulty over and over, then you can call that pattern a syndrome--that is, autism. Asperger's is about as relevant a label as "dyslexia" or "developmental delay"... which is to say, it's been seen repeatedly, with the same pattern despite differences from individual to individual. It's reasonable to theorize a common cause for autism spectrum disorders--probably they all involve genes that affect the same group of things.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2009, 5:03 pm

I STILL remember when I was like 6 and tried to explain my "skewed senses" to my mother. She couldn't relate. Recently, ANOTHER persons mother spoke of how her daughter has SPD! I could relate!! !! ! BTW, her daughter has AS, I believe I do ALSO, and SPD basically refers to the "skewed senses" I told my mother about so many decades ago! It IS interesting!

Do you realize that people STILL say what they have said for perhaps over 100 years! That all the species that could be found have been found. Yet even the giant panda is a relatively new find! They were first known by westerners around 1869. How much harder would it be to know about a different type of brain? Who knows, maybe it's like haircolor.