Page 3 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

PhaethonH
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

14 Mar 2009, 7:13 am

Liresse wrote:
Thanks for that! There is a surprisingly small amount of information about what that lateral fissure represents in non-human brains.

Googled [autistic dolphin]. Couldn't count on five hands the number of links to sites that said "dolphin therapy works for autistic kids!". Sigh!

The complete lack of information into animal neuropathy (except perhaps this case study of a brain-lesioned dolphin - google [sylvian fissure dolphin]) led me down another track: google [animals autistic]. Autismvox (not sure how reliable that site is, but it was an interesting article) gave up this: Can animals have autism?

What a fascinating topic. I'm surprised the research is so sparse.

OK, I couldn't stomach the brain-lesion article. I got a little too grossed out around the part where they found parasite eggs in the brain.

Nice one on that last link, mice with autism(-like attributes). I guess I was too narrow-minded on the notion of "socializing" to forget monkeys, mice, and other gregarious mammals, although I didn't like that one quote that implied autism == holes-in-brain-type damage. Maybe they meant in the sense of second-order or third-order effect, but I do wonder why they single out autism as an effect, instead of a set of examples (such as epilepsy, depression, or confidence tricking (con art)).

(Wow. The most intelligent creatures on Earth can be affected by autism. And apparently so can dolphins, the second most-intelligent. Oh, yeah, and us humans, too. ;) )

But, yeah, I'm guessing the lack of research into animal autism has to do with... heh... not understanding what the animal is saying :jester:. (rimshot)

I fear most of the information on animal autism is not on the web, but in print publications. Finding out more info may entail visiting the local library, or even the local university (stanford.edu in my case). Don't think I'd have the time, but I think it holds promising results.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 7:21 am

I wonder how animals with Aspergers would behave?

Dogs that don't mix well with other dogs and prefer to go off on their own collecting a pile of sticks and then arrange them into interesting geometrical shapes?

dalcassian
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Mar 2009, 8:23 am

Animals with autism:

They don't usually make eye contact, they have a relatively limited range of social interactions, many of them walk on their toes and balls of their feet instead of their heels, they demonstrate repetitive behaviours that don't appear to make sense to most people at first glance, they're nonverbal...

Oh, waitaminit, that's EVERY F*<%ING ANIMAL IN THE WORLD!! ! HELLO!

sorry for the outburst.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 9:21 am

poopylungstuffing wrote:
b9 wrote:
poopylungstuffing wrote:
Maybe the scientists can engineer giant sponges that would float around in the ocean like islands..

that would be funny. especially if they made them in coal powered sponge factories.

my post was referring to natural sea sponges like: (removed pic as we all saw it)
they are creatures that live in oceans

i was being silly.
i have heard about starfish plagues and sea urchin plagues etc, so i thought if there were a worldwide plague of sponges in the oceans, then it would solve the problem of rising sea levels.

the silliest part is thinking that sponges would reduce the volume of water they are in. if you put a sponge in a sink of water, the volume of water in the sink does not change (unless you remove the sponge without squeezing it).

it is something i would say (as if i was serious) at work if someone tried to talk to me about global warming.

i would be amused at their response. they would probably mutter "imbecile" as they walked off.

I know..I meant live ones...bio-engineered...but good point..it wouldn't work to reduce the volume of the sea water...

i did not presume you did not know that sponges were living creatures.
i presumed that maybe you would think that i am silly enough to not know that sponges are living things, and maybe you responded in a way that refers to synthetic sponges.

as for dolphins...
i can not see how any dolphin could have eye contact with any other dolphin if they were face to face.
if a dolphin looks another dolphin squarely in the face, then all they see is the little fish swimming beside them. dolphins eyes are on the sides of their heads.

dalcassian
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Mar 2009, 9:29 am

Quote:
as for dolphins...
i can not see how any dolphin could have eye contact with any other dolphin if they were face to face.
if a dolphin looks another dolphin squarely in the face, then all they see is the little fish swimming beside them. dolphins eyes are on the sides of their heads.

ah, but they can. barely. check this out.

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepage ... lphfaq.htm