Isn't it time to speak up against NTs?

Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Truth-Seeker
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 May 2006, 8:49 pm

Note that when I say we, I don't really mean to say that everyone is included with we. If you feel like you're not part of the we I talk about, then you don't have to. Also, I'm not even sure if this is even in the correct board.

Why is it that we have to confront to the standards of others, mainly NTs? Why should we have to keep out mouths shut about many things while NTs don't? Now I don't know about the rest of the world, but last time I checked, America wasn't only the land for certain people, but for nearly everyone. Makes me wonder what the point is of having all this freedom when you can barely use it without pretty much being an outcast. Isn't it about time to stand up for who we are? Of course, this isn't limited to just AS people, but NTs as well.

How does anything get better by keeping quiet about it? While it may be easier to try to act "normal", it doesn't really help in “normalizing” in how AS people are different from NT people. Wouldn't showing those people that you're proud (or for some of y'all, not) to be different from them and that you don't have to confront to their standards be fighting toward a cause? It's most likely that they won't let off and won't starting accepting you, but wouldn't that show you're not afraid to stand up to them? Wouldn't they be winning if we gave in to their standards and try to act like someone we're not? What do we owe them? Sure, not even NTs are open with everything about themselves with just anyone, but to those with AS, it seems like you can be open with even less things.

Why do they get so angry when we don't confront to the same things they do? If you don't dress like them, talk like them, listen to the same music as them, and more, they don't like you and start picking on you. Most importantly to me, why do they even care? I only wish I knew why people think like this. I plan on seeking out the truth, even if I had to filter out the lies first, to figure this out, however long it may take.

After everything I gone through so far, I feel like I don't really have anything to lose with being myself around those type of people. It upsets me so much that it feels like there are far too many people who go by “be like me or else!”, both in my high school and on the Internet. I don't wanna give in to them and try to be a clone of someone I'm not, even if it means I have to keep on fighting (not physically, if possible). It may be easier to avoid trouble by trying to be someone I'm not, but it only ends up feeling bad for me when I give in to others.

I hope in the very near future people can look back and say... "Wow. People were that controlling and cared that much about trying to get everyone to be like them?" Comments?

sc
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2006, 9:23 pm

I do not subscribe to the N.T conceptology.

Seigneur
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 May 2006, 10:46 pm

NTs aren't obligated to accept us. That said, most of them are bleeding-heart liberals and will start treating us right once they realize what we actually want.

What I want is not to be told 'I'm sorry to hear about your condition'. Why, I'm not sorry.

sc
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2006, 11:19 pm

Regardless of the reverse labelisms, persons whom do not accept other people who are different from them are usually stereotypically discriminative or simply not understanding. Diversity is a constant, it also would have to be differentiated as to what constitutes non-acceptance within balance of opposing extremes between acceptance and non-acceptance views.

One does have the right to not accept someone for whom he or she is, it also does not mean that the same person, group or multitude has a right to take away the rights of others whom are not accepted. Yet another generalized statement.

One such circumstance where non-acceptance might protrude on the rights of others is:

A failure to provide equal opportunity in tax payer funded establishments, such as educational establishments and government employment opportunities.

one1ai
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 May 2006, 1:06 am

I would just like to reply to a part of the first post text.

(this below is the 2nd paragraph)
Why is it that we have to confront to the standards of others, mainly NTs? Why should we have to keep out mouths shut about many things while NTs don't?

- We should not, but it's a way things may be. Sometimes when I'm in a positive mood I might speak a lot about my rights, but when I'm not in good mood, it's very difficult to talk about them. I have always felt the need for a friend(unrelated maybe).

fightingalways
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 May 2006, 11:36 am

Truth-seeker, you're not alone on this one.

America is really conformist when you think about it. If you aren't skinny, aren't nt, aren't white (it's better than it was but still needs improvement), aren't a submissive woman or an agressive man, aren't heterosexual, or anything else I've probably missed, then you aren't accepted. For a counrty that espouses freedom, isn't this a little odd?

Don't even get me started on those Vote for Pedro shirts. :roll:

I was reminded of my own personal experiences. :roll: I was put into a social skills class when i was 13 or 14 in an attempt to make me neurotypical. (this wasn't their stated purpose, it was more latent.) It went fine at first, but then the teachers began to call me obsessive and make it impossible for me to be me. They became downright nasty at me-- obivously, I was out of there pretty quick. Anyone else have an experience like that?

Can't turn an aspie nt any more than a straight person can be turned gay.

Litguy
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2006, 2:38 pm

Truth-Seeker wrote:
After everything I gone through so far, I feel like I don't really have anything to lose with being myself around those type of people. It upsets me so much that it feels like there are far too many people who go by “be like me or else!”, both in my high school and on the Internet. I don't wanna give in to them and try to be a clone of someone I'm not, even if it means I have to keep on fighting (not physically, if possible). It may be easier to avoid trouble by trying to be someone I'm not, but it only ends up feeling bad for me when I give in to others.
I was saying to myself, all through the posting, "this is a high school student being bullied." Having been one myself forty years ago, I find it very easy to identify with you anger and frustation. I had no idea why I was so different, and vacillated between blaming myself, my parents, the other kids, God, and whatever.

Today, I get very angry at people who don't accept my family because of my kids (both are diagnosed with autism, and, considering where they started off, are really doing great). On the other hand, my NT wife and I are just prouder of them everyday, and love them relentlessly.

There are a lot of so-called friends and family that we, however, have learned to do without in our lives. That's okay, there are a handful that know how to love and respect and we draw plenty of support from them.

Things will get somewhat easier, particularly when you get out of high school. Hopefully, in college, you will find a much broader population among whom you can find people who respect you as you are, and you will be much more able, in that more open atmosphere, to ignore the idiots. At least that worked for me.

I can well imagine that you feel like you are at war with the majority of the world right now. I know that feeling well. Hopdfully, you will soon find yourself in situations where you will be able to choose your relationships (heck, you might even find folks that remind you of yourself), and life will become more positive.

Hank in there, you are far from alone.

Seigneur
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 May 2006, 2:40 pm

fightingalways wrote:

Can't turn an aspie nt any more than a straight person can be turned gay.

From my own experience, it's a little easier than you'd think. The gay thing, I mean.

Sorce
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2006, 3:14 pm

sc wrote:
I do not subscribe to the N.T conceptology.

Me either. So far the complaints I hear about people on this board referred to as NT's are pretty much anyone they don't get along with. Something I don't get since I'm pretty sure that the majority of the people on this board are not psychologists/psychiatrists that can take one look at a person and know that they are NT.

Sorce
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2006, 3:25 pm

Truth-Seeker wrote:
Note that when I say we, I don't really mean to say that everyone is included with we. If you feel like you're not part of the we I talk about, then you don't have to. Also, I'm not even sure if this is even in the correct board.

Why is it that we have to confront to the standards of others, mainly NTs? Why should we have to keep out mouths shut about many things while NTs don't? Now I don't know about the rest of the world, but last time I checked, America wasn't only the land for certain people, but for nearly everyone. Makes me wonder what the point is of having all this freedom when you can barely use it without pretty much being an outcast. Isn't it about time to stand up for who we are? Of course, this isn't limited to just AS people, but NTs as well.

How does anything get better by keeping quiet about it? While it may be easier to try to act "normal", it doesn't really help in “normalizing” in how AS people are different from NT people. Wouldn't showing those people that you're proud (or for some of y'all, not) to be different from them and that you don't have to confront to their standards be fighting toward a cause? It's most likely that they won't let off and won't starting accepting you, but wouldn't that show you're not afraid to stand up to them? Wouldn't they be winning if we gave in to their standards and try to act like someone we're not? What do we owe them? Sure, not even NTs are open with everything about themselves with just anyone, but to those with AS, it seems like you can be open with even less things.

Why do they get so angry when we don't confront to the same things they do? If you don't dress like them, talk like them, listen to the same music as them, and more, they don't like you and start picking on you. Most importantly to me, why do they even care? I only wish I knew why people think like this. I plan on seeking out the truth, even if I had to filter out the lies first, to figure this out, however long it may take.

I hope in the very near future people can look back and say... "Wow. People were that controlling and cared that much about trying to get everyone to be like them?" Comments?

Since you have the name Truth-seeker, I'm going to assume you want the truth. For starters people in general try to make others be like them. It's not exclusive to one psychological profile. People will try to push you around and make you fit the image they see in their minds until you stand up for yourself. You set yourself up by caring about how others see you. If you didn't care you would go about your days without even thinking about starting a thread about it on an internet messageboard. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's not helping you get through this if you start putting people into categories like they do to you.

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2006, 4:11 pm

A few random thoughts:

1. Like Sorce said, NT's don't fit into one big category. So, we shouldn't be taking an us vs. them attitude or speaking up against NT's. That's overgeneralisation, and many NT's are very understanding.

2. They call America the Land of the Free, but I think that's pretty much just a label. Sadly, our countries are free only in theory, not always in practice.

3. Part of the problem is that AS is a very recent concept which let's face it, most people don't know about. We've had to fend for ourselves to a large extent, and are still having to. Hopefully things will get better on that front.

walk-in-the-rain
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2006, 4:42 pm

NT may be an overgeneralization and maybe as in another thread non-autistic (or whatever) might be a better term, but there are PLENTY of people out there who have no idea what ASD is about even if you try and describe it to them in detail. My husband is what I would consider NT - although who knows if there isn't some sort of ADHD or whatever involved. Bottom line is he does not understand AS behavior - he admits he doesn't get it and it is not for lack of trying. So - I don't know if I agree about there being no such thing as an NT because there are people who do not understand some of the differences and see such behavior as at the least strange and unusual (to them). And that tends to make most people uncomfortable. On the other hand, I also do not understand how my husband manages to know so many people but I do not disparage his social abilities - I was in awe of them when we were dating (lol). So - people can be different but that doesn't mean that they are wrong or bad. It is there individual behavior that matters.

pzrn
Raven
Raven

03 May 2006, 9:24 pm

I don't agree with the 'us vs them' mentality either. We're all individuals and the NT people that I know have just as many problems, maybe more, than I do.

Aeturnus
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2006, 3:18 am

I might not agree with the us versus them attitude, but in general ... why should anyone care about what someone thinks? I'd like to know why parents are so scared of having an AS child? I can see if it were severe enough as to warrant a lot of intervention, but for many that is not the case. So what if your child does not socialize like NT children? Why do you care? Just make your child happy the way he is. I can rationalize why many parents might do that, but I can't relate emotionally to it. It seems ridiculous to me. I know some parents who have tried to "normalize" their seemingly socially-inept children by persuading them to take things up like little league and boy scouts, which the children weren't happy with to begin with.

Just respect other for who they are. It's as simple as that, but some people apparently don't understand how simple it really is.

- Ray M -

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2006, 4:20 am

I also don't agree with this sectarian 'us v them' woe-is-me mindset some people seem to have here. We're all individuals and we have to integrate as much as we can into the rest of society. That doesn't mean trying to repress who we are, but it does mean trying to adapt some of our behaviours.

walk-in-the-rain
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2006, 9:38 am

Aeturnus wrote:
I might not agree with the us versus them attitude, but in general ... why should anyone care about what someone thinks? I'd like to know why parents are so scared of having an AS child? I can see if it were severe enough as to warrant a lot of intervention, but for many that is not the case. So what if your child does not socialize like NT children? Why do you care? Just make your child happy the way he is. I can rationalize why many parents might do that, but I can't relate emotionally to it. It seems ridiculous to me. I know some parents who have tried to "normalize" their seemingly socially-inept children by persuading them to take things up like little league and boy scouts, which the children weren't happy with to begin with.

Just respect other for who they are. It's as simple as that, but some people apparently don't understand how simple it really is.

- Ray M -

Again I think it comes down to (for many) simply a lack of information and ability to see things "outside of the box". So - they judge things by their own standards and if someone does not measure up to their yardstick than they can't be happy and must be missing out on things. Therefore the big push to normalize people on the spectrum. Some of those peope may have the very best intentions - it is just that their intentions can be misplaced. To someone who is NT or non-autistic it tends to be troubling to be outside the group and viewed as different so they think if they help their kids be and look as normal as possible than their kids will feel better. Problem is they start of with the message that the kid is not normal - instead of saying that you are great the way you are but let me give you some pointers on how to manuever more easily through society. That way the person doesn't have to change themselves, but like most of us we would appreciate some direction on how to get from point A to point B in social situations.