I always have to be doing something with my hands

Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2009, 3:18 pm

Hala wrote:
fiddlerpianist wrote:
I often play "air piano" with my fingers. It aligns with the tune currently stuck in my head.

Oh, me too. From a very young age I've always moved my fingers to a tune in my head as if playing the piano.

These days I play fiddle tunes mostly. What's even stranger is that I play these tunes on the air piano still, even though they actually can be quite awkward on the keyboard, and I never actually play the tunes on the piano. I guess it's how my brain thinks about tunes.

dustintorch
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2009, 3:20 pm

QueenKnitter wrote:
I fold trash. Like straw papers at a fast food restaurant. Or wrappers the food came in. Or make little boats out of it. . . . My dear dad does it too. I used to have one of those origami calendars at the office, and I'd fold things while people were talking. I think it's similar to playing sudoku while people are talking to me.

Knitting is good for this too (hence the username). In fact, knitting is terrific therapy.

I've never noticed if I "flap." I'm not sure I know what that looks like. But I do mindlessly play Hanon exercises with my fingers.

QK

Oh yeah I do that too. If there is anything in the vicinity to fold or play with, I'll do it without even realizing it. You would definitely know if you flap your hands. I can only speak for myself but it was a constant source of teasing at school. The actual motion has changed for me over the years but it's basically an impulse to move my hands very fast whenever I'm excited. Most of the time it happens before I even realize I'm doing it. It's gone from me vibrating my hands in fists, to interlocking them and sort of shaking them. I've never really managed to stop doing it completely but I've managed to make it look more "normal" (I rub them together really fast as if I'm cold) Most people will still give me a weird look though, but they don't say anything.

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2009, 4:47 pm

mgran wrote:
I am. I'm going to end up with terrible arthritis, because I can't stop pulling, cracking my fingers and twisting them. I must crack them hundreds of times a day. And if I have a hanky I'll "clean" my hands in a certain way that I find very soothing.(But I try not to do that in public.)

The handflapping is under control for the most part, and when I'm around others I'll often clench my hands under a table, or sometimes sit on them to stop myself from fiddling.

I lie on them when I'm sleeping, and I've taken up knitting.

Mgran, you know about Ravelry, right? It's kind of like Facebook for Knitters. They also have a neurodiversity group there.

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2009, 6:01 pm

No, I didn't know about that site... thank you!

Uranus
Toucan
Toucan

26 May 2009, 2:53 pm

I never know where to put my hands so i always end up putting them in my pocket. It's really annoying, i can't walk anywhere without my hand in my pockets. :roll:

I think it's one of those 'i want to be safe' symptoms, if you know what i mean.

If i stand with my arms relaxed by my side i just get this feeling that i look ridiculous, like i have to put my hands somewhere else.

Hala
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 May 2009, 3:03 pm

Uranus wrote:
If i stand with my arms relaxed by my side i just get this feeling that i look ridiculous, like i have to put my hands somewhere else.

I get that too, it's really annoying.

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2009, 4:32 pm

On a side note, did anyone else spend the first ten years plus of their life learning how to walk without swinging their arms like they were in a marching band?

BoilingOver
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 May 2009, 12:16 am

fiddlerpianist wrote:
Hala wrote:
fiddlerpianist wrote:
I often play "air piano" with my fingers. It aligns with the tune currently stuck in my head.

Oh, me too. From a very young age I've always moved my fingers to a tune in my head as if playing the piano.

These days I play fiddle tunes mostly. What's even stranger is that I play these tunes on the air piano still, even though they actually can be quite awkward on the keyboard, and I never actually play the tunes on the piano. I guess it's how my brain thinks about tunes.

Mine goes back and forth between 'playing' piano and 'playing' valved brass instruments... again, usually really awkward to try to play those particular tunes on the actual instruments!

There also must -always- be something in my hands when I'm reading or talking to someone else... usually a shiny metal object on my desk, and I don't realize that I'm fiddling with it until it hits the floor. As you might expect, it is pretty confusing to anyone meeting with me in my office.

If there's no object readily available, I usually end up wringing my hands... just keeping them folded doesn't do the trick for me.

-M

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 12:43 am

Hala wrote:
Uranus wrote:

That makes three of us. And I know that's one of the reasons I have so much trouble quitting smoking. When i have a cigarette in my hand, it gives me a reson to be constantly moving around, without figeting. And it's the same when I'm sitting down. I need to be playing around with something or I go stir crazy. Even when I'm sitting here at the computer, if i am not typing, I'm screwing around with something. :lol:

Those who know, don't speak.

bumblebeezy
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 May 2009, 3:22 pm

If I have a paper napkin in my lap I usually twist it into little bits and tear it up without even realizing it. I also wear rubber bands on my wrist and I always take them off and play with them.
I have a koosh ball that I use instead so I don't tear up paper or break things when I fiddle with them.
I sort of chew on my fingers too which is apparently very unattractive and inappropriate, according to my family.

Hala
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 May 2009, 3:41 pm

^ The main computer in my house is sitting on a desk with drawers underneath which contain documents and paper. When I used to use that computer, I would rest my hands in the drawer and would rip up the corners of the documents into tiny little pieces without even realising. My mum thought we had a mouse in the house because I would leave huge piles of small bits of ripped paper in the drawer. It took me a while to realise I was doing it and even then it was hard to restrain myself. Now I have my own computer without any drawers so I don't have to worry about stopping myself. :lol:

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2009, 3:44 pm

Hala wrote:
Uranus wrote:

ditto

Tarebear
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Apr 2012, 10:42 pm

I am like this! I want to know what this is, but my hands have to be moving at all times unless I'm holding something. It bothers me if they are relaxed, so if I'm playing a game or typing and I have to wait, I usually lace them together or "snap" or something.

Uranus
Toucan
Toucan

15 Apr 2012, 11:05 am

It is probably our inability to relax when people are around us. Or it could be medication (fluoxetine) or even the lack of it. Sometimes when i'm sitting down i will put my hands under my legs, squashing them between my legs and the seat. In this case it's possible that it's the medication as i sometimes i get tingling sensations in my hands. I know the tingling is from the fluoxetine because when they upped it to 60mg it got much worse and i could even feel it in my feet.

Recently, I've had to switch from taking it in the morning to taking it at night as it really knocks me out in the morning. I've had to reduce it from 40mg to 20mg since i developed a fever at one point and really bad muscle pain, along with mental confusion. You have to watch out for the side effects of these drugs as sometimes they can be mistaken for depression symptoms.

Pyrite
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 11:32 am

Hala wrote:
I'm exactly the same, my hands always have to be holding something or doing something.
At college I channel it all into dismantling my pens continuously.

I do exactly the same thing, I'm like one of the military guys in the movies who's constantly field stripping and reassembling their weapons. :lol:

I also like to twirl it between the fingers of one hand like a baton.