Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

hylander
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 May 2006, 3:53 am

I mean, wanting attention, replies, etc etc. online.
Is there a difference you think between online and real life?

alex
Developer
Developer

10 May 2006, 3:54 am

I think it totally depends on the person. Regarding online and offline, I do think there is a difference.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2006, 7:15 am

Yes, I suspect you made this very post out of a compulsive desire for attention.

Of course, I've never particularly cared whether or not people reply to or even look at my posts.

ATTENTION! MAY I HAVE YOUR ATTENTION, PLEASE! YOU MUST READ THIS! DON'T LET YOUR LIFE GO ON WITHOUT HAVING FIRST READ WHAT I HAVE HIGHLIGHTED HERE IN RED!

boothinator
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 May 2006, 8:16 am

I believe so. I have a hypothesis that human society as a whole is getting more logical and structured, almost in a way that is more acceptible to aspies. I mean, imagine living in Victorian times where you could easily make a faux paux that was almost unknowable and be ostracised or be run out of town in old times. These things still happen, but not as much. And as people become smarter on average and have to deal with more information, they have to be more reasonable and accepting. I regularly see people of about twenty different cultures right here in my college and they are not shunned or anything. And even now, being a geek is not something that adults discriminate against anymore.

I also think that a lot of aspies are introverts only because they weren't raised with other aspies. If we were able to send all the aspies to the same school, then I think you would quickly find that you would get a more typical distribution of extroverts just because they would be more comfortable all the time. That's another hypothesis of mine. My girlfriend is an introvert because she is a single child with an overbearing mother who stays at home a lot. I relate to her because I'm an introvert in many ways as well. But I've had conversations that have gone on for hours with my friend's family who are all probably aspies, and have been completely comfortable the entire time. So maybe I'm an aspie extrovert and an NT introvert.

en_una_isla
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2006, 10:59 am

That why we really do need an aspie state :lol:.

Aeturnus
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2006, 2:36 am

Having our own aspie state would be nice. We could have our own housing, our own employment, our own whatever. I can hold conversations with NTs, so long as they don't get too dramatic or emotional. I don't know if I could count family members, though, because they know me all too well. I haven't really been in too many conversations with people who aren't NT in the outside world. Even in high school, which was a specialized school to begin with, the staff knew me, and it was easy to converse. In college, I did not really converse too much. I went to class, studied for most of the time in the library, and went home.

I'm in an aspie group now, which meets once a month. I guess I'll have to see what happens with the aspie to aspie discussions.

- Ray M -

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2006, 6:37 pm

Aeturnus wrote:
I'm in an aspie group now, which meets once a month. I guess I'll have to see what happens with the aspie to aspie discussions.

Strange that this should be mentioned. I'm also in an aspie group, and when we met over the summer, a couple of them appeared to have mild histrionic personality traits. One admitted to being a bit of a daredevil—but only when other people were around to see it.

TheGreyBadger
Toucan
Toucan

11 May 2006, 8:19 pm

en_una_isla wrote:
That why we really do need an aspie state :lol:.

Isn't there :twisted:

Seigneur
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 May 2006, 11:07 pm

When nobody replies to my posts, I feel cut off from the flow of information and a little depressed.

hylander

12 May 2006, 3:25 am

number of replies.

I hope this reply helps. :) Often, I find a reply is temporary gratification.
There is often a "mental sex" type of thing going on for some histrionics.
(not trying to imply anything but it can follow the patterns a bit).

paulsinnerchild
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2006, 8:20 pm

I can cry at will, does that count?

TheBladeRoden
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2006, 8:56 pm

I'm not popular in real life so I try to make up for it online. But that hasn't gotten many results either.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2006, 10:53 pm

hylander wrote:
I mean, wanting attention, replies, etc etc. online.

Wanting attention is what nearly anyone who tries to communicate with anyone else for anything other than totally functional reasons is doing. Wanting replies, is why most people post on the Internet. Those things are not "histrionic".

But yes, autistics can be "histrionic." Autistics can be anything but non-autistic.

Baz

16 May 2006, 8:52 am

Seigneur wrote:
When nobody replies to my posts, I feel cut off from the flow of information and a little depressed.

Yeh, i know how u feel matey

Aeriel
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 May 2006, 9:58 am

Baz wrote:
Seigneur wrote:

Yeh, i know how u feel matey

Me too. :(