180-189 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
190-199 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
200+ 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 128

protest_the_hero
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2009, 1:18 pm

Thats' true. If you're socially awkward, people think you're stupid until proven otherwise.

timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2009, 5:02 pm

protest_the_hero wrote:
Only one in thousands have an IQ above 150. That's the problem with polls like this. Everyone's a genius (or savant or prodigy...) every time LOL

What about those who have extreme strengths coupled with extreme weaknesses and thus have extreme differences in varying IQ scores? Uneven abilities is a hallmark of autism.

protest_the_hero
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2009, 9:07 pm

timeisdead wrote:
protest_the_hero wrote:
Only one in thousands have an IQ above 150. That's the problem with polls like this. Everyone's a genius (or savant or prodigy...) every time LOL

What about those who have extreme strengths coupled with extreme weaknesses and thus have extreme differences in varying IQ scores? Uneven abilities is a hallmark of autism.
Well it would seem that they always go with the highest of all their varied scores. None the less, there's no way that many got above 150 through any proper testing.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2009, 11:14 pm

High enough to know that it doesn't matter in my life.

timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2009, 12:14 am

protest_the_hero wrote:
timeisdead wrote:
protest_the_hero wrote:

Well it would seem that they always go with the highest of all their varied scores. None the less, there's no way that many got above 150 through any proper testing.

Above in one portion or half of the test or above 150 as a composite score?

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2009, 12:20 am

MattShizzle wrote:
Someone can have an autism diagnosis below IQ 85 - however, below about 55 a person would be extremely unlikely to be able to use a computer at all - or even read.

IQ =/= intelligence, as the "low-functioning" autistic people can show..

EDIT: didn't answer as i dunno. ill just put 200+ for the lulz (to fit in with it being over 9000 ;) :rambo: )

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2009, 1:31 am

For those of you interested in IQ I suggest you visit the following interesting sites:

http://isteve.blogspot.com/
http://www.lagriffedulion.f2s.com/
http://www.vdare.com/

animal
Toucan
Toucan

22 Jun 2009, 3:23 am

b9 wrote:
i wonder why anyone would want to claim their IQ score to people they know.
i admit when i first joined here, there was one of these IQ threads and i decided to take the online test and post my result. after a few days, i became uncomfortable with having posted my result, but i could not edit it to blank it out at that point. the online IQ tests always are flattering because they always lead to marketing ploys.
----
anyway, people who claim they have high IQ's are like they are clutching at straws.
it is like they are saying "please reassess what you hear me say in light of the fact that i have told you i have a superior IQ".
if someone is very intelligent, then they will seem intelligent to others without having to report that they are intelligent. they do not have to bring out a score card to justify what they say because their logic is irrefutable on it's own.
------
i think that people who say that are 190 IQ (in ways not eloquent) want people to read mystical meanings into their banal posts.

it is like if bob dylan wrote a complete nonsense song (which he did not reveal to be nonsense) and marketed it, there would be many poet societies debating over the meaning of his words. there would be much searching for meaning, because it is bob dylan who wrote the words, so the song must mean something deep.
if they can not understand it, they presume that their puny brains are not good enough to understand.
but of course, there will be many people who excavate "meaning" out of nonsense words by a supposed guru.

so i think people who quote their IQ's are not confident of winning an audience without some "bait".

That's not why I posted my IQ. I just wanted to share something of myself with others - I didn't realise it would provoke a negative reaction. Last time I open up to people about this.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2009, 4:51 am

*sigh* People below 55 are not typically "extremely unlikely to be able to read". In the range of 40-60, people can typically read at about a first or second grade level by the time they graduate high school, higher sometimes. And you have to remember that with mental retardation, the biggest deficit is in the area of academics. Judging total capability by academic level doesn't predict things very well. They will do better in everyday life than they do in the classroom. That's the opposite of what it typically is with autism.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

b9
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2009, 4:55 am

animal wrote:
b9 wrote:
i wonder why anyone would want to claim their IQ score to people they know.
i admit when i first joined here, there was one of these IQ threads and i decided to take the online test and post my result. after a few days, i became uncomfortable with having posted my result, but i could not edit it to blank it out at that point. the online IQ tests always are flattering because they always lead to marketing ploys.
----
anyway, people who claim they have high IQ's are like they are clutching at straws.
it is like they are saying "please reassess what you hear me say in light of the fact that i have told you i have a superior IQ".
if someone is very intelligent, then they will seem intelligent to others without having to report that they are intelligent. they do not have to bring out a score card to justify what they say because their logic is irrefutable on it's own.
------
i think that people who say that are 190 IQ (in ways not eloquent) want people to read mystical meanings into their banal posts.

it is like if bob dylan wrote a complete nonsense song (which he did not reveal to be nonsense) and marketed it, there would be many poet societies debating over the meaning of his words. there would be much searching for meaning, because it is bob dylan who wrote the words, so the song must mean something deep.
if they can not understand it, they presume that their puny brains are not good enough to understand.
but of course, there will be many people who excavate "meaning" out of nonsense words by a supposed guru.

so i think people who quote their IQ's are not confident of winning an audience without some "bait".

That's not why I posted my IQ. I just wanted to share something of myself with others - I didn't realise it would provoke a negative reaction.

i am sorry i did not think of the other posters in this thread when i posted what i posted. i kjnopw that seems haerd to believe, but i was thinking about past IQ threads where a posters claimed that their IQ was 196 with all seriousness. i can not remember who it was, but i thought what i wrote above based on my memory of that thread where others were all saying their IQ's were 150+ and many said they were between 160 and 180.

animal wrote:
Last time I open up to people about this.

please do not change anything about yourself because of me. i am in the wrong because i did not think about the fact that what i said would be taken to mean the other respondents to this thread.

even if i did mean you and others here, then i would be just one disgruntled little attitude among a crowd of supportive people, and you should pay more attention to their niceness than to my negativity.
sorry again.

i wish to influence no one here or to cause anyone unhappy feelings.

animal
Toucan
Toucan

22 Jun 2009, 5:00 am

b9 wrote:
i am sorry i did not think of the other posters in this thread when i posted what i posted. i kjnopw that seems haerd to believe, but i was thinking about past IQ threads where a posters claimed that their IQ was 196 with all seriousness. i can not remember who it was, but i thought what i wrote above based on my memory of that thread where others were all saying their IQ's were 150+ and many said they were between 160 and 180.

please do not change anything about yourself because of me. i am in the wrong because i did not think about the fact that what i said would be taken to mean the other respondents to this thread.

even if i did mean you and others here, then i would be just one disgruntled little attitude among a crowd of supportive people, and you should pay more attention to their niceness than to my negativity.
sorry again.

i wish to influence no one here or to cause anyone unhappy feelings.

I understand now.
That was the best apology I have ever received. :)

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2009, 5:08 am

I don't know my IQ and something in me doesn't want to know.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2009, 6:25 am

Sora wrote:
b9 wrote:
if someone is very intelligent, then they will seem intelligent to others

I see how experiences differ greatly here - many kids and such with AS actually face being thought ret*d or 'just' stupid because their AS makes them appear slow, otherworldly and unable to do what most people with normal intelligence can easily do. Nothing about the real level of intelligence showing through.

i was not really talking about intelligence within the context of AS. i was talking about intelligence in general.
i know what you are saying about some people with AS seeming superficially dull, but anyone who is VERY intelligent will do something in the fullness of time which demonstrates it to people who know them.

if someone has an IQ of say 160, they may seem like a dull witted person to a person on the checkout at the supermarket, but people who know them would not think of them as dull witted. they would show some exceptional skill in their area of aptitude at some point.

i know there are some people who may not easily be able to be seen as gifted. like stephen hawking for example would have a hard time seeming as smart as he is to a group of people who never heard of him, and if he did not have any electronic communication aids with him.

my friend has a brother with a supposed iq of 175 and he is seen as very slow, but that is because he is severely ill with schizophrenia. he is mostly in mental hospitals.
he talks in a slow and uninspired way, and he never initiates any ideas of interest.

when i was a child, i used to go around to my friends house, and his brother (who i did not know was that smart at the time) used to always be sitting in his room on his bed doing nothing. he had no apparatus or reading material in his room. he seemed "dead in the head" as it were.

a couple of years ago, my friend came over and brought his brother with him. he was as dead in the head as ever, and had a vacant look of mental poverty as he sat there speechless. i was talking to my friend about what i was doing and i said that the expansion of a fractal animation sequence i was programming seemed to develop too slowly at a certain point, and i wondered how i could speed it up in exponential increments with a formula that steps up in value returns equal to the exponential lag of development ...blahh blahh..etc.

my friend asked his brother to have a look at it and he reluctantly did. his brother did not know the language i wrote it in, and he knew nothing before that minute about what i was trying to achieve, but he grasped the language immediately by watching the animation the code produced, and he reverse engineered the logic from the animation back to the code he read, and it was amazing to see. he was slumped foreward and looked like he had just woken up even while he was making such an astounding spectacle of learning ability.

he quickly realized i did not need the levels of precision to be constant in the iteration loops that dealt with depth magnification, and suggested i inversely set the precision based upon the depth.

it seemed like such an obvious and clean solution that i had not thought about yet. he just picked up the whole thing and had it mastered within minutes, and after he gave me that comment, he reclined back and retired form all further conversation.

wow. but you see, i never realized he was like that when my association with him was just 1 minute glimpses. but after just one extended encounter where we interacted, i was left amazed at the quality of his mind. his mind is like a prism and most problems to him are like white light that is split into pure componentry with a boring inevitability (boring for him that is)..

i contrast him against young cocky people who are very proud of themselves and want to be seen as superior in all manners including intellect, and in order to try to secure a position of intellectual admiration, they have to quote the number they scored in an IQ test. i just have that impression of people who like to bugle their iq scores. i know my impression may be ill thought out.

i mean anyone who is that smart will not have to resort to pulling out a "score card" if the have said smart things in their time. it is like someone who claims to have a ferrari, but you have never seen it, and then all they can do is pull out it's pamphlet and the spec sheet to show you. hmmm.. i do not need to see their pamphlet if i ever saw their car.

it just raises suspicion in me that people who shout numbers may not have that ferrari in the skulls that they claim to have.

Sora wrote:
Your statement totally doesn't take how AS/HFA is actually a disorder of social abilities and communication into account.

that is very true.

Sora wrote:
I wonder where you live because because I got the impression you expect people to know what autism is?

i think you may be confusing my response in this thread with my response in another thread that was something like "self diagnoses" or similar.

in that thread i was a bit ignorant due to my lack of knowledge about various countries health systems. i said something like "if you are significantly autistic, then you will come to the attention of people in authority such as preschool teachers and teachers etc, and you will be assessed as to why you are markedly different than expected at an early age."
i went on to infer that i thought it was almost impossible for a person to go through life for 40 years without ever being suspected by anyone who ever met them of having autism. i said if they had no inkling that they may have autism until they read about it somewhere late in life and they clicked that "that" is how they feel, then they were probably wrong.

but i was only basing my opinion at that time upon my local environment. i got a pm from a moderator that told me that the health care systems in various countries are not free, and they are not so lucky as australia where i live. also, people who do not have enough money for diaganosis in these countries are disadvantaged and i should not be maybe so one eyed about it.

i have seen that i was wrong to assume that everyone with a "clinically significant" level of autism will be aware of their possible diagnosis at a young age.

but that is off topic. my words about intelligence are not related to my earlier idea about the age of discovery of autism.

i may be wrong in what i think you mean though so sorry if i am.

Sora wrote:
It can't be Europe (and probably not the US where things seem similar) where you live because here the vast majority of people doesn't recognise a strongly autistic child and think autism is 'that thing that makes people space out and be in another world'.

ok i do accept what you say as valid. i grew up in sydney australia in the "north shore". health care was free, and there were dentists who came to the schools for free to do dental work on the kids, and there were doctors also who came to check us out for free. we got free bottles of milk (yuk they were warm by the time we could drink them and i never ever had one).

there just seemed to be so much concern about kids who deviated from the norm, and an abundance of facilities that were free to asses these kids that were deviant to expectation.

my family saw i was very different from birth and they thought i may be profoundly ret*d so they took me to a doctor. that was the beginning of my medical history.

but in other countries i guess they may not have the resources to provide a saturation of free health cover.

sorry i can not be more concise. brevity is the soul of wit i know but i can not be brief.

my participation in this thread is over for now. i will look for another to try on.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2009, 9:54 am

b9 wrote:
i was not really talking about intelligence within the context of AS. i was talking about intelligence in general.
i know what you are saying about some people with AS seeming superficially dull, but anyone who is VERY intelligent will do something in the fullness of time which demonstrates it to people who know them.

All right, with this background your response makes a lot more sense.

b9 wrote:
i think you may be confusing my response in this thread with my response in another thread that was something like "self diagnoses" or similar.

I took this statement (seeing how it was not clear whether or not you were talking about IQ in relation to autism or not) to mean that people would be able to see through autism and recognise the intelligence of an autistic person if they knew about autism, seeing how your answers just as mine are often tainted by our experiences and by where we live.

I really tried figuring your post out for a quite a whole and that's what I came up with.

b9 wrote:
ok i do accept what you say as valid. i grew up in sydney australia in the "north shore". health care was free, and there were dentists who came to the schools for free to do dental work on the kids, and there were doctors also who came to check us out for free. we got free bottles of milk (yuk they were warm by the time we could drink them and i never ever had one).

That's all been going on here in Germany for years too.

I suppose the problem where I live is that there is a lot of information about some disorders and parents and professionals pay a lot of attention top these things (dyslexia, emotional disturbances, AD(H)D and several more), but very little about others. If it doesn't fit a well-known disorder, it gets ignored or misdiagnosed often.

b9 wrote:
there just seemed to be so much concern about kids who deviated from the norm, and an abundance of facilities that were free to asses these kids that were deviant to expectation.

Yes, that exactly is a problem where I live. People notice - how could they not? - if kids are deviating from the norm, but oftentimes while they claim that the situation with a child is 'unbearable' they do not do anything about it. They mourn and whine and complain, but also say 'well, this kid is only at kindergarten/elementary school/secondary school for another 3 years so we just wait it out and let someone else do something about it'.

I just had a talk about this two hours ago because of several disordered/behavioural disordered kids. It's a very prominent way of thinking here sadly. Everyone notices and complains about a child/teen but whole schools are unwilling to do anything about it even if it's severe (if people get harmed, the child harms itself and so on).

It's free to have kids looked over here to, but people just don't do it. And if they do, autism is often not tested for and professionals will try to explain the behaviour with other disorders or 'trauma' (very prominent explanation). It's mad, really.

YaroVeso
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Jul 2009, 12:31 pm

Ive got 141 on 3smartcubes and have always been getting [130 ; 139]
I am pretty sure its somewhere between 135-140 though...

anyway :-)

bhetti
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2009, 12:49 pm

b9 wrote:
i contrast him against young cocky people who are very proud of themselves and want to be seen as superior in all manners including intellect, and in order to try to secure a position of intellectual admiration, they have to quote the number they scored in an IQ test. i just have that impression of people who like to bugle their iq scores. i know my impression may be ill thought out.

this is funny to me because my ex did that and I do think that some completely average people like to trot out their IQ score as if it's proof of something.

so the thing with my ex... he took one of those online IQ tests and got 129 and became quite insufferable over it. he bragged on and on, and had to tell everyone, and kept telling me I should listen to him because he's "almost a genius". I got so tired of it I took the same test and scored 160.

man was he mad. the struggle in his mind was visible as he came to grips that I scored so much higher than him. but then he became equally insufferable as he bragged about MY score and told everyone he's married to a genius.

gah!

anyway, that test was adjusted downward significantly at a later date, so he was actually average or slightly above average. I don't consider him very smart. my actual IQ is in the 140's most likely based on recent assessments.