Tics change depending on where you are?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2009, 12:46 pm

Sooo, I was wondering if that's any normal to have tics/more tics (depending on how many tics you have) at home than at work or when you're elsewhere?

Because this happens to me and I wonder if there's a reason why. I'm actually very comfortable at home. It's at work where I get none of these motor tics and where I'd get really nervous about ticcing even if I only ever got very few tics anymore.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2009, 3:58 pm

I got full blown Tourette syndrome (although thankfully it has calmed down a lot since my teens) and I definately notice a difference in tics depending on where I am. If I am in a place which causes a lot of anxiety (a café for instance), I get more tics. If I am around children, I get more swearing tics (like my TS is being delibarately defiant). If I am in a really quiet place, I make loads of noise tics. Motor tic wise, I never stop really... I'm tired... :cry:

Justin227
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Jun 2009, 4:07 pm

are tics common in AS? because as a child I had a lot, almost mild tourettes I would describe it. I still continue at 20 to have some of the same tics, but for the most part they're gone.

Anyway, yes...is that common and could you give me some examples.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2009, 4:41 pm

Jellybean wrote:
I got full blown Tourette syndrome (although thankfully it has calmed down a lot since my teens) and I definately notice a difference in tics depending on where I am. If I am in a place which causes a lot of anxiety (a café for instance), I get more tics. If I am around children, I get more swearing tics (like my TS is being delibarately defiant). If I am in a really quiet place, I make loads of noise tics. Motor tic wise, I never stop really... I'm tired... :cry:

I thought that was the more likely thing. More tics in stressing situations would make sense.

But for me it is the other way around these days, which is kind of odd maybe. The worst tics are kept for home. And in case I got only extremely mild tics like right now then I only ever have a few tics at home.

Sorry to hear you've got such a hard time!

I outgrew most of the tics, but I remember how the worst vocal tics were and it's been a bit of a horror for me because people didn't recognise them as tics and I felt as if they drove me crazy because they wouldn't stop.