Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

CrazyCatGirl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Apr 2009, 8:09 pm

Hey People.

It's been a long time since I've come on here....but I need some support in getting rediagnosed..yes with Aspergers.

I was dxd at 13 but many doctors and family members rejected that by saying that I didn't have it...but deep down I wasn't so sure and recently I've realised that the doc that dxd me was right.

Selena

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

08 Apr 2009, 9:17 pm

cool. i dont think i have aspergers anymore either, i odnt know whats wrong with me but cant be arsed to go for another eval

Jamin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Apr 2009, 10:18 pm

That is but one difficulty with the current method of diagnosis of any syndrome. The clinician is attempting to fit data into a nosology. DSM IV TR is simply a collection of symptoms divided into diagnoses, the whole agreed upon and manufactured by committee. It is what Kraeplin was doing in 1880.

Most of the time a proposed diagnosis can be supported by positive response to treatment. AS is one of many syndromes that do not respond to conventional treatment.

There needs to be a better method of diagnosis developed. With technologies available such as functional neuroimaging, the tools are available - but clinicians have become accustomed to the current methods.

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2009, 10:23 pm

My doctor thinks I should get re-diagnosed by a psychiatrist, but I haven't got the money. I know that an official one won't do much, because I'm already looking for work through the disability network. There's not much else they can do for me.

Learning2Survive
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2009, 11:09 pm

pensieve wrote:
My doctor thinks I should get re-diagnosed by a psychiatrist, but I haven't got the money. I know that an official one won't do much, because I'm already looking for work through the disability network. There's not much else they can do for me.

Good for you that you are looking for work! Why do you need to get re-diagnosed, what is the benefit? Will it change the treatment course or something?

Kaleido
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2009, 5:20 am

I think if you have AS, it doesn't go away but you can progress to a point where the outward signs are less visible when with people. I know this to be true because I can appear very neurotypical in situations where things are routine and there are no sudden changes, you really wouldn't know, but have a loud fire alarm go off or change the time or seating arrangement of something and the little signs are there.

So, its more a question of was it the correct diagnosis and if so, well, you might be lucky enough to get undiagnosed if you have progressed well but there are always situations which will catch you out, unfortunately.

Sublyme
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Apr 2009, 8:57 am

I am sort of thinking of doing the same thing. I have actually attempted to get my dx updated in the past a few times, and I just end up with a laundry list of mental illnesses and a bunch of prescriptions.

I had a clear diagnosis of classic autism when I was three. I didn't speak a word until I was five, and when I did it was only to read out loud out the favorite line of my of my favorite book...."goodnight mouse." I was in special ed in school and had to work with a speech therapist and occupational therapist. I guess they did a pretty good job, because I was able to be mainstreamed in high school with an IEP. By the time I was a teenager I learned how to fake being NT so well, that a lot of people didn't even know I was autistic (unless I happened to have a meltdown). All the faking though started to take it's toll on me, and I began having psychotic episodes....later dx'ed as bipolar 1.

Now I don't think I really had classic autism as a child, but rather PDD-NOS, or possibly multiplex developmental disorder (a subtype of PDD-NOS, currently not in the DSM-IV).

When I've tried to update my dx, I've been re dx'ed with Bipolar 1, dx'ed with ADHD, OCD, and stuff like schizo-affective disorder, schizoid personality disorder, avoidant personality disorder, and borderline personality disorder were suggested to be looked into further....with a traumatic childhood or hyperlexia to explain the speech delay.

Maybe in all actuality I was a hyperlexic child that had a traumatic childhood and I really do have ADHD, OCD, Bipolar, several personality disorders, and maybe even schizophrenia or schizo-affective something-or-other......or maybe the last three shrinks I saw don't have experience with autistic adults....especially autistic women.

My therapist now does think I really am autistic (even before I mentioned my childhood dx) but the psychiatrist she referred me to thinks I have ADHD, OCD, and bipolar disorder....and maybe early schizophrenia....so here we go again....

RandomKid
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2009, 10:53 am

I am borderline PDD-NOS and AS. Except for my old mt and my new mt everyone else thinks I am a AS kid. Supposedly we should look into social anxiety where I chime in the already figured that out! My case manager wishes she could diagnose em because she swears I have AS.

09 Apr 2009, 3:30 pm

I tried to get re diagnosed once but I got talked out of it by my therapist. Would it change anything if it got changed to PDD-NOS? No. Besides I see lot of aspies here who also appear PDD-NOS but yet still have the AS diagnoses. I think they should just get rid of the name and PDD-NOS and make it all autism.

cantexactlysay
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Apr 2009, 3:39 pm

Sublyme wrote:
I am sort of thinking of doing the same thing. I have actually attempted to get my dx updated in the past a few times, and I just end up with a laundry list of mental illnesses and a bunch of prescriptions.

I had a clear diagnosis of classic autism when I was three. I didn't speak a word until I was five, and when I did it was only to read out loud out the favorite line of my of my favorite book...."goodnight mouse." I was in special ed in school and had to work with a speech therapist and occupational therapist. I guess they did a pretty good job, because I was able to be mainstreamed in high school with an IEP. By the time I was a teenager I learned how to fake being NT so well, that a lot of people didn't even know I was autistic (unless I happened to have a meltdown). All the faking though started to take it's toll on me, and I began having psychotic episodes....later dx'ed as bipolar 1.

Now I don't think I really had classic autism as a child, but rather PDD-NOS, or possibly multiplex developmental disorder (a subtype of PDD-NOS, currently not in the DSM-IV).

When I've tried to update my dx, I've been re dx'ed with Bipolar 1, dx'ed with ADHD, OCD, and stuff like schizo-affective disorder, schizoid personality disorder, avoidant personality disorder, and borderline personality disorder were suggested to be looked into further....with a traumatic childhood or hyperlexia to explain the speech delay.

Maybe in all actuality I was a hyperlexic child that had a traumatic childhood and I really do have ADHD, OCD, Bipolar, several personality disorders, and maybe even schizophrenia or schizo-affective something-or-other......or maybe the last three shrinks I saw don't have experience with autistic adults....especially autistic women.

My therapist now does think I really am autistic (even before I mentioned my childhood dx) but the psychiatrist she referred me to thinks I have ADHD, OCD, and bipolar disorder....and maybe early schizophrenia....so here we go again....

Something similar here. I tried to get an updated diagnosis as I had a laundry list of diagnoses as a child, Autism being among them (one of them "exhibits many signs of autism", the other one "semi autistic"), but I realized that Autism was the only reasonable diagnosis when I was younger, but instead, I got yet another laundry list of possible disorders other than Autism. Since then, I have no ambition to end up in another mental health professional's office on my own recognizance. Honestly, I've learned more about myself studying Autism on my own and browsing through the struggles faced by people on these forums than I've ever learned in a psychologist's / psychiatrist's office.

Gwen1953
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Apr 2009, 5:25 am

I'm going to try and get another diagnosis because the first one was a WAIS test which was just an intelligence test and I was told I was just depressed.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2009, 6:13 am

When I went to get another assessment, they said they could put AS down in my records rather than Autistic Disorder, as I fit AS better to them as I can talk as an adult (concrete functional speech over here), and I don't rock constantly--this was at Attwood's. But then, their definition of AS is quite broad, and it includes anyone who can talk as an adult, but who has some form of autism.

I said it's fine how it is.

CrazyCatGirl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Apr 2009, 8:48 pm

Thanks for all the support, there is a chance that I may be diagnosed with PDD NOS as I don't appear to fit into the Aspergers catergory according to the professionals...I also have ADHD, mild tics and sensory integration issues but I'm very high functioning.

Are there many Australian members on here??

Selena :D

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2009, 10:20 pm

There's many from Oz here.

I know that sunshower, Quartermass and Who_Am_I are in Brisbane (me too).

animal
Toucan
Toucan

13 Apr 2009, 10:35 pm

I'm also from Oz, but I'm all the way down in Melbourne.

I'm sick of the professionals too. They keep telling me I'm psychotic or schizotypal or something, when I'm clearly not. Fortunately my psychologist is ok. He usually talks about my actual problems, as opposed to whatever problems fit inside the box of a particular diagnosis.

CrazyCatGirl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Jul 2009, 5:47 pm

Yes I've contacted the Minds and Hearts clinic (For some reason I thought it was minds and souls...maybe it should be changed to that hey?) and I have to wait 6 to 9 months f**k it!!

In the mean time I'm just travelling along trying to understand this mind of mine.

Selena