Page 1 of 7 [ 100 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

aspieconfirmed
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Aug 2009, 7:12 pm

Id like to know how some posters classify themselves as having a psychological disorder which they have never been evaluated for and professionally diagnosed? (self diagnosis listed on signatures)

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Aug 2009, 8:23 pm

aspieconfirmed wrote:
Id like to know how some posters classify themselves as having a psychological disorder which they have never been evaluated for and professionally diagnosed? (self diagnosis listed on signatures)

The terms set out in DSM-IV-TR 299.80 describe me perfectly.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2009, 8:25 pm

because those posters have known themselves all their lives, and when they read the criteria for AS they recognize the symptoms. This is usually later confirmed by several sophisticated tests and evaluations by professionals that usually concur. It is really not rocket science.

Somewhat the same thing happens when one identifies with being say, an alcoholic, or allergic to dairy products or hay fever. If you have it, you have it, and sometimes a professional only confirms what the individual has realized.

Fintan29
Toucan
Toucan

20 Aug 2009, 8:35 pm

ADHD - I used to believe that I had this. To this day, I'm not that sure. I've done research and I "do" fit in a number of symptoms, but probably not enough.
ADD - So maybe if I don't have ADHD after all, I researched ADD. Some symptoms I fit in, some I don't. Well, the last time I researched ADD was quite some months ago, so I can't really remember.

I do feel that I have something else as well other than just AS, but I just don't know what or maybe I don't have anything else after all. I'm a bit curious because I do feel that I behave strangely quite a number of times that likely don't fall under AS.

As with AS itself, I'm 99.9% sure that I have it as I was diagnosed by some professional who was on TV before about mental disorders! I do fall under most symptoms for AS too.

I will discover myself. ;)

aspieconfirmed
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Aug 2009, 9:06 pm

Im not trying to be mean, I just really want to know what qualifies you to make this "diagnosis" and what tools or tests you used to classify yourself against the DSM. I feel that people who label themselves aspergers or autistic without finding out if they truly are minimize the true diagnosis and make a mockery of a true condition. The "self diagnosed" are romaticizing this disorder in my opinion and until you get a diagnosis shold not claim you have this just to explain why you are socially awkward and self absorbed.

I also find it hard to believe that adults cannot teach themselves social skills using the internet yet they can self diagnose a psychological disorder using it.

I think the "self diagnosed" are full of it and do not deserve to scream they have a disorder to get special treatment when in fact you have not been identified by anyone except yoursel.

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2009, 9:24 pm

aspieconfirmed wrote:
I also find it hard to believe that adults cannot teach themselves social skills using the internet yet they can self diagnose a psychological disorder using it.

So teach yourself some social skills and quite whining.

aspieconfirmed
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Aug 2009, 9:30 pm

The last I checked, intentional b*tchiness isnt an aspergers trait. In fact, it proves you are more normal than you would like to be.

DaWalker
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2009, 9:39 pm

"Hey Doc, it hurts when I move like this...."

"Then don't move like that...$149. pay on your way out"

If you would like access to the most reliable Diagnosis Criteria pertaining to Aspergers

Go to the link that I will post below, for true acuracy, you have to completely consider them all.

Follow This Link Completely Through

Upon your completion, you will receive your results, guaranteed to be 100% accurate to all those who complete.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2009, 9:53 pm

aspieconfirmed wrote:
Im not trying to be mean, I just really want to know what qualifies you to make this "diagnosis" and what tools or tests you used to classify yourself against the DSM. I feel that people who label themselves aspergers or autistic without finding out if they truly are minimize the true diagnosis and make a mockery of a true condition. The "self diagnosed" are romaticizing this disorder in my opinion and until you get a diagnosis shold not claim you have this just to explain why you are socially awkward and self absorbed.

I think the "self diagnosed" are full of it and do not deserve to scream they have a disorder to get special treatment when in fact you have not been identified by anyone except yoursel.

I am sure you are entitled to your opinion, but an opinion does not make it a fact. Again I reiterate, it is not rocket science. When you can hear the bone break and see it sticking out of the flesh of your arm, you can draw an intelligent conclusion you have a broken bone. Going to a doctor will confirm it, of course. Reading the DSM IV and evaluating your condition is not rocket science.

When a new member enters into confrontation with the membership in the first few posts they make, it sends red flags to the moderators that someone might have more of an agenda than just the stated one. Word to the wise.

Merle

Last edited by sinsboldly on 20 Aug 2009, 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

go_around
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Aug 2009, 10:05 pm

Well, there really isn't much evidence that those listing self-diagnosis are in fact "screaming they have a disorder to get special treatment". Posting on a message board indicating that you identify with a particular group does not mean you publicly announce such a possibility to everyone you meet. If people without professional diagnoses are indeed demanding that everyone in their life treat them differently because of their self-diagnosis, then yes, that is not really moral and they should pursue a professional diagnosis. I'm sure there are people who use self-diagnoses to get attention and special treatment. I just personally don't see the point in implying that people you've never met, let alone seen how they behave normally, must necessarily be part of that group.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Aug 2009, 10:05 pm

Very well put Sinsboldly. Even though I got officially diagnosed with Asperger's---I was nearly 100% sure I had Asperger's before the official diagnosis. Yes, it is almost like a "bone sticking out of the flesh of your arm" to self-diagnosis a broken bone/and to self-diagnosis Asperger's.

It is quite an odd feeling when one (who has Asperger's) first reads the criteria for Asperger's---whoa!!!---it can send a chill down the spine. For me, I felt like I was reading my own biography.

Although I sought an official diagnosis, I highly respect those who are satisfied with a self-diagnosis. It isn't rocket science like Sinsboldy says. I see nothing wrong with a self-diagnosis. Afterall, not everyone needs to have an official diagnosis to be satisfied with their own diagnosis.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2009, 10:26 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
because those posters have known themselves all their lives, and when they read the criteria for AS they recognize the symptoms. This is usually later confirmed by several sophisticated tests and evaluations by professionals that usually concur. It is really not rocket science.

Also, besides the official criteria, in things written by autistic people, there is recognition of perceptions, experiences, difficulties, and so on endlessly, that one has experienced but never heard of or from (or been able to share with, without bad reactions) any other humans before. And especially if it's all in a big package.

Marsian
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Aug 2009, 10:48 pm

Truthfully, you know that you have AS as soon as you read about it.

I found out about AS by accident when I looked up ADHD (people frequently ask me if I have ADHD) on Wikipedia. I have elements of ADHD but in many ways I am the opposite so I looked at related conditions and discovered AS. My sister is a health psychologist so I knew to look at DSM-IV for the diagnostic criteria and found out why I won't ever grow up to be normal.

Did you ever meet any NTs who went through the first 17 years of their life without ever making eye-contact and then only found out that they were supposed to make eye-contact from their manager at work?

Getting a diagnosis from a psy is a formality that not everyone chooses to go through. I think maybe some people are able to overcome AS better than others depending upon what traits they suffer the most from.

Having self-diagnosed before being professionally diagnosed, I definitely think self-diagnosis is possible.

Oh, and, I'm sure lots of people do ALSO teach themselves social skills from the internet. I learnt most of what I know about body-language from reading about it online and that was a LONG time before I discovered AS. I just thought that everyone learnt about body language by reading about it on the internet!

:roll:

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2009, 10:51 pm

aspieconfirmed wrote:
I feel that people who label themselves aspergers or autistic without finding out if they truly are minimize the true diagnosis and make a mockery of a true condition.

I really doubt that most here who are self-diagnosed are making a mockery of a true condition. Care to cite evidence, or is this just a hunch?

I would say that most self-diagnosed come here to learn something about themselves. Very few are going to run off and proclaim to the world, "Hey, look at me! I'm autistic!"

I would also like to point out that the WP status is "Have Aspergers - Undiagnosed," not "Have Aspergers - Self-Diagnosed."

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2009, 10:56 pm

Marsian wrote:
Truthfully, you know that you have AS as soon as you read about it.

In many cases yes. If you are particularly mild, it's less of a complete resounding feeling. In my case, I mostly felt that way but noticed an almost complete lack of co-morbids.

I'm probably sub-clinical at this point (though as a child there's a good chance I would have received an AS diagnosis if they were giving them out back then). If I really had to know, I probably would go and seek a professional diagnosis. I don't. I've always enjoyed defying categorization, so why would I go out of my way to categorize myself?

I don't like people to judge me based on prejudices; I like people to judge me for who I am and what I say.

EvoVari
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Aug 2009, 11:01 pm

I understand what you are implying Aspieconfirmed and your frustrations.

1/ I'm annoyed everytime a spouse enters an AS forum and describes her husband as the biggest A-hole, this and that, because he has Aspergers. Eventually we find out he is not diagnosed with any ASD.

2/ The Clinical psychologist who dx me stated that 9 out of 10 self dx Aspergers fail the criteria when assessed by a professional. Guess they are in need to belong somewhere, fit in, like most people.

3/ Better to lend them a kind ear and accept they more then likely have a Neurodevelopmental Sequelae.