How many people here don't work/will never likely work?

Page 2 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2009, 1:39 am

I get hired, but then I get fired. In the middle, I get abused and humiliated. They rarely give me a logical reason or a reason at all why I was fired. After over 20 years of this, and making inhumane efforts not to be fired only to be fired anyway, I'm exhausted physically and mentally, I feel I can't take this anymore.

Shebakoby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2009, 1:46 am

idiocratik wrote:
I'm usually okay dealing with the public when I'm in a good mood. I've snapped at a customer before cos one of my managers was being a b***h to me for not learning everything as fast and perfectly as she wanted. So yeah.. I was let go after the holidays. Other than social and memory stress, I have a bad back and arthritis in my ankles. If I can find a desk job where I'm just typing or filing all day that would be ideal, but so many times those jobs want a 1-2 years of previous experience. How the hell do you get the experience if you're never hired?

I'd call those kinds of jobs 'the cake is a lie' jobs.

outlier
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2009, 2:11 am

I have degrees but cannot use them. Basic part-time jobs are a struggle, and currently I am not well enough to work and living off savings.

I was built for work; I am a raging, competitive workaholic by nature, but cannot find an outlet or receive any accommodations.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2009, 8:17 am

I just want to bang my head on the wall when I see people like outlier, because I know her well from here, so wise and intelligent and nice, and wanting to work hard, just like me, but are outcast from the job market. Not only because we lose, but because society wastes such people. :evil:

calis1981
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Oct 2009, 8:37 am

never worked
dropped out of high school because of to many people
been for 2 job interviews that i did nothing but sweat and have massive panic attacks at
doubt ill ever get a job unless i can work from home contacting whatever company over the net
wanna do beta testing on videogames but dont have the confidence to apply for any of the jobs ive seen for it, also they would have required me to move, and go into a work place
im almost 28 and have been given a lot of crap about not having a job
i get a diagnosis of AS and all of a sudden, i stop getting picked on

ooooo i forgot, i did have a 3rd job interview
tryed to get in the army, got offered 33 different jobs, rangeing from rifleman to enginerring
panic attack, didnt go through with it

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2009, 8:53 am

Interesting topic. I'm going through Job rehabilitation and hope to get a job by Thanksgiving. It'd help add to my SSI which isn't much after paying mom rent etc. 1st regular debt (I rely on Ccards too much BUT pay them off every month.) 2nd NY debt (1500 payed off by May will be HARD!) 3rd) DSi/360 controller/Xmas gifts 4th College 5th (DVD camera etc. stuff) :-)

xalepax
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2009, 9:23 am

I had ordinary and paid jobs for eight years before I totally collapsed out of all pressure around it
I ended up getting diagnosis for AS and since then I have been out of it
that was nine years ago now
Since then have been on diffrent places to "work" voluntary or within special schemes
but it doesnt work in long term

Now Im studying part time and that idea works quite well apart from the learning difficulties

EnglishInvader
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2009, 10:40 am

Callista wrote:
Oh, definitely--somebody who is actually mentally ret*d, learns about himself and works with what he's got, will outperform an average guy who makes excuses and doesn't try to learn. Every time. That's the wisdom versus intelligence gap, and there are a lot of people with high IQs who can't use them because they are not very wise. I think actually that wisdom, not intelligence, is what most people are thinking about when they say somebody is "dumb". By Wisdom, I mean the ability to step back from your life, define the problems and the advantages you have, look at them honestly, and take steps to learn from your mistakes, compensate for your weaknesses, and use your strengths. The lack of that ability, or the lack of desire to acquire it (yes, part of wisdom is recognizing you have a lack of it and taking steps to learn how to increase it) seems to be the thing that makes people make the same mistakes over and over again, while generally blaming someone else and never trying anything different.

Did anyone else here see this in the IQ thread? I found it rather inspirational.

I'm thinking of going back to the OU for IT training. It's something practical that I could do and I also have a strong interest in retro-computers; especially the Commodore VIC 20. I know I'm smart enough to do this; my concern is my ability to sustain the effort and see it through. It's one thing to sign up for something on impulse and quite another to live up to the reality.

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2009, 4:33 pm

Ive been through 3 jobs (just started my 4th), was stiffed on another, and was let go after a 3 day work interview competing with a guy who had 10 years experience compared to my none. First job was at a historic site (low stress, but boring and uneventful), then a pizza buffet restaurant (higher paced and stressful at major mealtimes), then retail (Wal-Mart, and not a place/profession i would recommend to those in the spectrum). I was going to work for a laboratory company, but was let go after 3 days (and still no reason why). The last was similar, but got to work with developing a dispenser. 4th job now is kinda like a maintenance position (helping in a kitchen/convenience store for at a college campus). Id like to get a lab job again, or at least with game design/testing (video or board/card). Sadly, nothing in this state offers something like the latter. For the most part, i know that i cant adopt the, "Not to work" option, but its annoying as all hell that i cannot get a job that will satisfy my needs in the long term. Ive already been out of a job for 2 years prior to this 4th, and Social Security was no help at all ("Because you have a work history, your condition has not hindered your ability to work, and therefore are not eligible for aid"). Ive just about given up hope of finding something a bit more professional (Have an AA in General Arts, AS in Biotechnology, and 70+ college hours towards a BS in Electrical Engineering).

anxiety25
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2009, 4:48 pm

EnglishInvader wrote:
I would be interested to know how socially inept/long-term unemployed Aspies are treated in countries other than the UK; especially, in the US/Canada where the welfare systems are thought to be less generous.

I haven't been able to work for a really long time. My social worker at DFS keeps on telling me I need to apply for social security, but I haven't the slightest clue where to start. She just rolls her eyes, lectures me, and grunts in response to my answers for things-generally very very rude. She has gotten me crying a few times. Instead of telling me what exactly I need to do, she just keeps mailing me these maps of how to get to the social security office with no more information than that. I'm scared to go in there.

She also gives me a LOT of crap for not having other references besides my boyfriend and his grandfather. Once she pulled all of my benefits away because I didn't have a lot of friends I could give her as references to find out more about me. I had to fight that one with her manager and asked him why the heck she thought someone with autism is supposed to have a whole lot of friends when social interactions is a big part of the problem. He agreed and fixed it all, but she still gives me dirty looks and seems generally disgusted with me when I go in to see her.

"I enjoyed the meetings, too. It was like having friends." -Luna Lovegood

TouchVanDerBoom
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Oct 2009, 5:12 pm

My Employment History:

Age 19: Worked in a supermarket in summer after university ended. Enjoyed the training period but once I had to work without the net I started to have panic attacks and eventually just never went back one day. I worked there maybe 2 months.

Age 23: Worked in a department store near Christmas. I also had panic attacks here and was fired after I took time off with concussion (!). I worked there about 6 weeks.

Age 24/25: Worked as legal administrator at a registrars. It was a soulless, hideously unfair company but I found some good friends there and learned a lot of work skills. I was moved to a different deapartment after working there for 11 months and hated it. We had to sit in silence and input numerical data, it was horrendous. They fired me on the spot one morning for basically nothing.

Age 25: Worked at a charity bookshop for about a month.

Now (still 25): Working on a voluntary basis for the NHS. Currently based in a project management office, I arrange meetings, take minutes and make calls. I'm hoping to get a permanent job doing something similar.

I'm 25 and have worked about 18 months altogether. That's not great and my family never let me forget it but I don't care. Being an aspie makes the world of work awfully difficult for me, so I think it's impressive that I've worked at all and that I continue to try. I also have a degree in English. It took me 6 years to get there but I did it eventually. I want to be a university lecturer but can't afford to do my masters yet, just biding my time.

Shebakoby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2009, 5:16 pm

anxiety25 wrote:
EnglishInvader wrote:
I would be interested to know how socially inept/long-term unemployed Aspies are treated in countries other than the UK; especially, in the US/Canada where the welfare systems are thought to be less generous.

I haven't been able to work for a really long time. My social worker at DFS keeps on telling me I need to apply for social security, but I haven't the slightest clue where to start. She just rolls her eyes, lectures me, and grunts in response to my answers for things-generally very very rude. She has gotten me crying a few times. Instead of telling me what exactly I need to do, she just keeps mailing me these maps of how to get to the social security office with no more information than that. I'm scared to go in there.

She also gives me a LOT of crap for not having other references besides my boyfriend and his grandfather. Once she pulled all of my benefits away because I didn't have a lot of friends I could give her as references to find out more about me. I had to fight that one with her manager and asked him why the heck she thought someone with autism is supposed to have a whole lot of friends when social interactions is a big part of the problem. He agreed and fixed it all, but she still gives me dirty looks and seems generally disgusted with me when I go in to see her.

Good lord this social worker sounds like a major beeyatch that shouldn't be let anywhere near non-neurotypicals.
Could she not pick up the phone and call your parents to find out more about you if she really needed to? After all nobody knows you like your parents do.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2009, 5:26 pm

I'm looking for a job. I had a great seasonal job last winter at the mall during the holidays (made $9.18 an hour) and I honestly didn't have any complaints about that job. It was always changing, which is great for me because I can't stand doing the same old thing over and over and over and there were always new people to meet. Then again, I never had to deal with any cranky customers since they always seemed to go to someone else :wink: I remember meeting two extremely nice Lisas the same day though lol I also had a really awesome boss, who actually told me she felt like she could really relate to me (like me being a younger version of her as she was twelve years older). I actually talked to her last weekend : )

Unfortunately, like I said, that job was only seasonal. Here in Indy, it's extremely hard to get a job right now. I did four job interviews recently, all of which went extremely well. However, I didn't get any of the jobs, despite that I have all hours available, I'm only asking for $8 an hour, and I have that holiday experience at the biggest mall in the state...

Since I can't find a job in retail right now, I'm really beginning to consider getting back into dental assisting. I went to school for it but majorly bombed the final exam (after hours and hours of studying, I completely blanked out). It's been too long now to just go back and re-take it and I've lost my eleven pages of notes anyway. So one of these days, I'll put together a resume and pray that someone's willing to hire a spunky twenty-year-old fresh in the field.

I really, really need a job right now. I have far too much free time. I get so bored, I go shopping and spend all the money I have left in my bank account (which isn't much anymore). I'm down to my last few hundred dollars all because I'm buying things for my future. I've also started competing in beauty pageants (I have one coming up near the end of the month) and those are definitely not cheap. Luckily, my dad's helping me with the majority of the cost this time because he forgot about my birthday and Christmas last year. (My birthday is three days after Christmas so that's pretty bad to forget both.) Also, I want to eventually get my first house down in Orlando. My bf is coming from Virginia to move in with my mom and I next summer, so that'll take us one step closer. He already has a job. He's had it since two Augusts ago now.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2009, 3:25 am

I probably won't ever be able to work full-time, even though I wish I could (a park ranger, for example).

Part-time, yeah (farmhand, like I am now).

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2009, 4:21 am

xalepax wrote:
I had ordinary and paid jobs for eight years before I totally collapsed out of all pressure around it

Same here. havent got the diagnosis yet though.

I really want to work again. But how? Maybe I could be one of those people you see wearing an animal suit holding up a sign for the latest pizza restaurant.

Taking a break.

therange
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2009, 6:00 am

The funny thing is, I don't want to ever want to work, at least full time anyway. I'm not competitive, not a productive worker even when I apply myself, I can't handle simple directions, and like I mentioned, unable to deal with minimal people stress. It isn't fun, it's stressful, it brings out the worst in me, and on top of it, there's usually at least one or two people, if not a handful, that end up making fun of me due to my social awkwardness and physical appearance and I feel like it's high school all over again. And these are 30 plus adults, not immature teens or college aged kids.