Page 2 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2009, 12:08 pm

Silvervarg wrote:
Dilbert wrote:
:lol: You live in Sweden. Every thug in the US carries at least a handgun. In some large cities there are gangs armed with automatic weapons. Imagine running into twenty 16 year olds armed to the teeth? Not even cops are willing to confront them.

Not even the most druged, fearless gangmember would put his life on the line when 220 pound muscles and fangs are walking beside you. ;)

Nope. That is not so. These people have absolutely nothing to lose so they don't care about their own well being, let alone the well being of others. If you pointed a fricken gun at some of these characters, their first instinct would be to rush you so they could take the gun. They'd just shoot your dog if he attacked them.

Be glad you live where you live. :wink: My area is also very safe. But I've been to LA, NY and Chicago and have seen some messed up stuff.

Silvervarg
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2009, 12:26 pm

Dilbert wrote:
Silvervarg wrote:
Dilbert wrote:
:lol: You live in Sweden. Every thug in the US carries at least a handgun. In some large cities there are gangs armed with automatic weapons. Imagine running into twenty 16 year olds armed to the teeth? Not even cops are willing to confront them.

Not even the most druged, fearless gangmember would put his life on the line when 220 pound muscles and fangs are walking beside you. ;)

Nope. That is not so. These people have absolutely nothing to lose so they don't care about their own well being, let alone the well being of others. If you pointed a fricken gun at some of these characters, their first instinct would be to rush you so they could take the gun. They'd just shoot your dog if he attacked them.

Be glad you live where you live. :wink: My area is also very safe. But I've been to LA, NY and Chicago and have seen some messed up stuff.

They shot the dog... :roll: point is that they don't consider attacking you to start with. People always has something to lose, their lives. And if a mastiff has begun the charge, you have about two seconds left to live, nomatter what you do. They are orginaly breed for war and protection/guard deuty and ones they decide to kill someone the person is dead.
Everyone has a basic fear of big predators packed into their genes, those who didn't became dinner.

EnglishInvader
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2009, 12:42 pm

Dilbert wrote:
[ That is not so. These people have absolutely nothing to lose so they don't care about their own well being, let alone the well being of others. If you pointed a fricken gun at some of these characters, their first instinct would be to rush you so they could take the gun. They'd just shoot your dog if he attacked them.

The gun would only be a threat if they felt you had the guts to use it. If you showed any signs of hesitancy, they would most likely call your bluff. The idea of a large, hungry Alsatian using their a***holes as chew toys might give them a few second thoughts. You can't scare a dog by asking for his wallet.

ViperaAspis
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2009, 5:59 pm

Packing heat is a bad idea. Buying a dog as a deterrent or for companionship and safety is a great idea. But thinking they're the equal of (or better than) an armed assailant is unrealistic. Those in countries that are without guns do not fully comprehend this having never seen, touched, fired, or had a gun pointed at them. Simply ignore these posts. If you are confronted with a weapon while with your dog, comply with the criminal and hand over your wallet. Do not lose the life of your best friend and/or yourself over a matter of money.

Besides, your dog (if socialized enough for pleasant walks) is more likely to try to lick them to death unless you've specifically attack trained it.

-- Vip

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2009, 7:51 pm

Yes. They are very naive it seems. I envy them.

Shebakoby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2009, 9:32 pm

Dilbert wrote:
Shebakoby wrote:
zeldapsychology wrote:
Considering perhaps a tazer maybe for when I get a job. Not sure if you need a license in Florida though I'll have to research that. I don't like the idea of owning a gun. :-)

The thing about a gun is, if you're threatened you don't even need to fire it. Just pointing it at the miscreant in question will have them s****ing their pants. If you ever did need to fire it, it would literally be a matter of life and death.

Did you see that? ^^ Please ignore this advicee. Please.

Guns ARE NOT to be displayed unless your intent is to shoot the attacker.

At the point where you'd have to point the gun, you of course should be ready to shoot. HOWEVER, if they suddenly decide to turn and GTFO, then no, you do not shoot.

Shebakoby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2009, 9:33 pm

ViperaAspis wrote:
Packing heat is a bad idea. Buying a dog as a deterrent or for companionship and safety is a great idea. But thinking they're the equal of (or better than) an armed assailant is unrealistic. Those in countries that are without guns do not fully comprehend this having never seen, touched, fired, or had a gun pointed at them. Simply ignore these posts. If you are confronted with a weapon while with your dog, comply with the criminal and hand over your wallet. Do not lose the life of your best friend and/or yourself over a matter of money.

Besides, your dog (if socialized enough for pleasant walks) is more likely to try to lick them to death unless you've specifically attack trained it.

-- Vip

If packing heat is such a bad idea why is the crime rate down in places where it is not only allowed but encouraged?

machf
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Oct 2009, 10:43 pm

Because the guys they send to conduct polls on the crime rate get shot?

jamesp420
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Oct 2009, 10:51 pm

I've never really worried about it, but it is possibly because I'm fairly sure that I can hold my own against the majority of people who would attempt to attack me, and I am not afraid of getting shot or stabbed. If someone pulls a gun on me they better shoot, or they will regret it. I pay close attention to my surroundings, so I'm fairly difficult to sneak up on anyways.

http://www.facebook.com/jamesp420

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2009, 10:59 pm

jamesp420 wrote:
I've never really worried about it, but it is possibly because I'm fairly sure that I can hold my own against the majority of people who would attempt to attack me, and I am not afraid of getting shot or stabbed. If someone pulls a gun on me they better shoot, or they will regret it. I pay close attention to my surroundings, so I'm fairly difficult to sneak up on anyways.

It seems I'm talking to myself.

Have you ever been shot at kid? No? Then you have no idea what the hell you are talking about. I'm a war veteran. I have a gun carry permit and I've carried a gun in civilian life for many years. I stopped doing it because it really isn't needed where I live.

If someone has a gun, do exactly as they say, EXCEPT do not let them take you away with them (kidnapping). Running away screaming is better than getting in a car with someone.

calis1981
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Oct 2009, 11:05 pm

i tend to take the stupid way with this
ill go out late at nite
and walk around grinning like a fool
in all the wrong place's where muggings and whatever happen
yet none of it happens to me?
maybe i look crazy or something?
and the potential mugger looks and think "this guys gotta be nuts! i aint goin near him!"
lol
dunno if thats the case or not, but ive never had trouble from anyone when im out and about
ive overheard people sayin i look weird, strange, all sorts of stuff while out
guess thats been my best defence so far, lol

jamesp420
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Oct 2009, 11:26 pm

Dilbert wrote:
jamesp420 wrote:

It seems I'm talking to myself.

Have you ever been shot at kid? No? Then you have no idea what the hell you are talking about. I'm a war veteran. I have a gun carry permit and I've carried a gun in civilian life for many years. I stopped doing it because it really isn't needed where I live.

If someone has a gun, do exactly as they say, EXCEPT do not let them take you away with them (kidnapping). Running away screaming is better than getting in a car with someone.

Don't assume buddy, I HAVE been shot at, and nearly killed. I had a bullet graze the tip of my ear. I'm not afraid of death, especially if someone is so pathetic as to shoot a 14 year old boy for the clothes on his back and the money in his pockets.

Btw, I will never make a statement such as I did if I don't know what I'm talking about. ;)

Silvervarg
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2009, 11:45 pm

ViperaAspis wrote:

-- Vip

Ahh gee... You mean all that practice shoting was all for nothing? Oh yes, I've had looked up and looked straight into a rifle on my way to school (not very nice, I can tell you that), I've fired hundreds of rifle and pistol shots, more than I can count, I'd say more that anyone who haven't seen a dog in real action can't comprehend what power they acctually possess.

I say no more, you don't know what you're talking about.

Rose_in_Winter
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2009, 11:51 pm

I was shot in the chest at point blank range during a mugging. After that, I'm afraid an ear graze does not impress me. The recovery from such an injury is far from easy or pleasant. I'm not afraid of death, as it comes to us all eventually, but I'm not going to tempt it, either.

I agree with Dilbert. If I ever get mugged again, they can have the damn purse. I was shot because I wouldn't hand mine over and hitting me didn't work. I won't be that stupid and naive again.

Last edited by Rose_in_Winter on 02 Oct 2009, 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

jamesp420
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Oct 2009, 12:02 am

Rose_in_Winter wrote:
I was shot in the chest at point blank range during a mugging. After that, I'm afraid an ear graze does not impress me. I'm The recovery from such an injury is far from easy or pleasant. not afraid of death, as it comes to us all eventually, but I'm not going to tempt it, either.

I agree with Dilbert. If I ever get mugged again, they can have the damn purse. I was shot because I wouldn't hand mine over and hitting me didn't work. I won't be that stupid and naive again.

I'm not trying to impress anyone, but if I hadn't run I may have ended up the same or worse than you.
I'm still too stubborn of a person to let a coward with a gun control me. I will fight to the death, and you may think I'm just blowing smoke, but I am dead serious. The ONLY thing in this world that scares me is spiders, and seeing as they are not the weapon of choice for most people, i believe I have a fighting chance.

Nightsun
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2009, 6:59 am

I know I'm a bit OT so don't read me If you want :wink:

I was going to give the same advice (have a dog), when I read the other posts... Is really so bad the situation in USA? When I go crawling the city late at night my wife always say to me "Pay attention" and usually I smile, it never happened to me that someone can shot or put a knife in my head. The only things I could think of (and it never happend to me) is that someone ask me for money with a stick or a knife and then I'll give them what they want. If someone got killed in street it's on the major tv-news for 15 days. I really thinked that USA was a bit more "violent" than EU but I didn't know to that extent.