Page 3 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Radiant
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Oct 2009, 10:47 am

Blindspot149 wrote:
normally_impaired wrote:
I had some extended tic episodes (whilst severely stressed out) when I was around 10 and ocassionally I regress now, when under pressure, but I manage to contain it to when I am alone.:

Neurologists have also found that excess sleep deprivation causes tics.

mirna
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Nov 2009, 1:19 pm

I do have autistic blurts that are similar to tourette's. I can stop when I want but most of times, I do not want and have fun with it. But when I am anxious and nervous I do things automatically and can't control my movements. I'd like to watch this movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr1Iik5iCQI&feature=fvsr

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2009, 7:04 pm

normally_impaired wrote:
Tourette's tics are far harder to control without medication. It's like you feel the need to stim, but it just feels outright impossible to avoid it.

The best known aspect of Tourette's Syndrome, the swearing, is a somewhat rare condition known as Coprolalia, which affects less than 15% of people with Tourette's Syndrome. Unfortunately, because most NTs find the idea of screaming swears at random to be absolutely hillarious, this is what they typically associate TS with. This is why I, a person with TS, have to explain to so many people why the way my head twitches is TS even though there's no swearing involved.

You know how people come up with pathetic reasons why they feel you can't possibly be on the Autistic spectrum, it goes the same way with TS where people will tell me that I can't possibly have TS because all I do is twitch.

I have this thing every so often where my hair stands up on end then my head thrashes involuntarily from side to side. I can force one down for a while but it happens eventually.

Does this sound like a tic?

Xelebes
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2009, 7:30 pm

Blindspot149 wrote:
Why dont people with Tourette quote Shakespeare, Abraham Lincoln, Michael Moore or even...........no , lets stop there.

What is the thing with the swearing?

This has always puzzled me.

I had some extended tic episodes (whilst severely stressed out) when I was around 10 and ocassionally I regress now, when under pressure, but I manage to contain it to when I am alone.

I should stop typing, I am really outing myself badly and beginning to see what a total mess I am.............

:wink:

As someone with coprolalia, it is an attempt at communicating the pain that proceeds a tic. There is a pain or discomfort that precedes the tic and the only way to get rid of it is to tic. When vocal, sometimes I can control it to become more of grunt or maybe some more polite words "shut up!"

For a long time, I tough my coprolalia was me insulting myself. Sometimes this would get so bad that I did some drastic things to address them - some of it was isolation, some of it was far worse. Now that I know it's Tourette's, I know I can somewhat control it but there are times I cannot help it.

http://xelebes.wordpress.com/
My Blog

LipstickKiller
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Nov 2009, 1:54 pm

I had a new vocal tic the other day. At first I just did it to entertain the baby. I was able to stop. But once I stopped thinking about not doing it it kept coming out. Not loudly though, and I was just walking around, so if anybody heard it they probably just thought I was singing. It was complete nonsense, I think I heard it as a joke once.

"La la la la lala shish kebab"

Better than cursing I guess.

Xelebes
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2009, 5:48 pm

I never seem to have that problem. If it's new for a day, I just simply disregard it as it will only be with me for a day. Never really bothers me because of that.

My Blog

ASdogGeek
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2009, 4:59 pm

What exactly is an Aspie blurt? I think I have had a few but I am not sure

Xelebes
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2009, 7:15 pm

An aspie blurt is something that is spoken at the moment it is thought, without really knowing whether or not it was wise to do so.

My Blog

heliocopters
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Nov 2009, 2:14 am

I don't have TS, but I think a really good movie to help you understand it is Phoebe in Wonderland. It won Sundance award and is officially one of my top five movies. I think the main difference is people with TS literally can't help it, while an Aspie blurt is more like, to poorly paraphrase the author of Pretending to be Normal, "it would be easier to stop a bull from charging than to stop my thoughts from leaving my mouth." I can help my thoughts from leaving my mouth as long as I concentrate very hard on not saying anything unless spoken to. I have to already be talking or in a conversation in order to "blurt."