Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Aeturnus
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2006, 3:10 am

Does anyone here have episodes of severe itching that seems to permeate over most parts of their body?

Every now and then, I get these attacks that don't last entirely too long, but seem to be really annoying. I need to take a brush and start scratching myself all over, sometimes pretty hard. They seem to come out of nowhere. It's not clothes or anything, since these attacks tend to happen mostly when I'm at home. I tend to wear very little clothes at home, with the exception of pants. It usually starts on the arms, and I start scratching these areas, and then it goes to my back, and then to my legs.

Is this some sort of bizarre sensory disturbance aspies are known for?

- Ray M -

ruudvandrago
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Jul 2006, 4:21 am

I feel itching but rarely. Particularly when it is hot. In general situations I feel very little itching but can do not take attention to it

AV-geek
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2006, 7:09 am

This sometimes happens to me just as I hit the bed trying to get to sleep. I'll scratch one itch, and then another one crops up somewhere else. I figured it was caused by the sudden lack of clothing, and the amount of "airing out" that occurs. The thing is, I've also had it happen when I've slept with clothes on.

Captain_Brown
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2006, 8:33 am

No.

TigerFire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2006, 8:47 am

Yeah I know what you mean. I start to stracth an itch that's near my hips and then another pops up at my upper left arm. It's so annoying and if there's a lot of itches I tend to freak out.

donkey
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2006, 10:10 am

have you noticed that the itching starts after a certtain food?

my seon developed excema after frinking milk, he used to be itchy too.

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2006, 11:27 am

ALL THE TIME. I can't stand it--I'm almost always scratching myself somewhere because of some itch. My arms get really tired from all the constant motion.

lae
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2006, 12:34 pm

I get that all the time. It makes it hard to sleep at night. Sometimes I have to jump back into the shower because hot water gets rid of the feeling temporarily. I figured it was allergy related. I develop allergies to almost anything I'm around long enough, and I'm lactose intolerant also. You might try changing soaps and laundry detergent. They put all kinds of things in those that can irritate your skin. Dr. Bronner's soap is a good one to try, and it works as a shampoo also. Also, as was said, food sensitivities could be a cause.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2006, 1:55 pm

yes,yes,yes.......I also have hypothyroid which makes skin very dry....sensitivve to many kinds of purfumes that they put in lotions...get heat rashes that itch like crazy if temp goes over 80...many kinds of synthetic fabric and wool well set me off but the worst is at night when I'm trying to get to sleep...sleep in buff,so its not cloths but I think because there are no destraction so Im more aware of the itch..also get itchy rashes on back on neck(long hair?)and forearms,underarms and shins...

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

lae
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2006, 2:50 pm

Here are some things I found help me, and I thought I'd share them in case they work for others.
Natural oils like olive oil for dry skin instead of commercial lotions, which are full of perfumes and additives.
Using baking soda in bath water. If you have hard water like we do, It is harder to rinse the soap away and that can dry your skin and make you itch. If you can stand the smell, cider vinegar (diluted) should help wash residue away, too, and is good for your skin.
Dr. Bronner's soap: You can wash almost anything with it, and it's all natural.
Tea tree oil: I've had some good results with this for small areas. I have read it should not be applied all over, or to a child, because too much may be toxic.

I hope some of that helps.

Musical_Lottie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2006, 6:55 pm

I know exactly what you mean. It generally comes with having a dicky stomach so I think it probably is related t something. But to what I have yet to find out ... oh, and also - I go all hot and sweaty then go into a cold sweat when the 'itch attacks' come along. Grr.

TigerFire
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2006, 8:08 am

donkey wrote:
have you noticed that the itching starts after a certtain food?

my seon developed excema after frinking milk, he used to be itchy too.

Or a certain creature. Like fleas. I've got flea bites all over my arms. It pains me because it itches very badly.

Maditude
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 9:49 am

TigerFire wrote:
Yeah I know what you mean. I start to stracth an itch that's near my hips and then another pops up at my upper left arm. It's so annoying and if there's a lot of itches I tend to freak out.

This happens to me all the time, especially when I am trying to sleep. Fortunately, I only itch at one place at a time.

"Vortex of Freedom" Radio Show
Saturdays 6PM Eastern - 5PM Central
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/maditude

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 1:13 pm

Aeturnus wrote:
Does anyone here have episodes of severe itching that seems to permeate over most parts of their body?

Every now and then, I get these attacks that don't last entirely too long, but seem to be really annoying. I need to take a brush and start scratching myself all over, sometimes pretty hard. They seem to come out of nowhere. It's not clothes or anything, since these attacks tend to happen mostly when I'm at home. I tend to wear very little clothes at home, with the exception of pants. It usually starts on the arms, and I start scratching these areas, and then it goes to my back, and then to my legs.

- Ray M -

if are on any medications they can cause it.
mum gets it very bad off tramadol.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

sbcmetroguy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 2:02 pm

Aeturnus wrote:

- Ray M -

Absolutely. Always wondered if it was just me. I worry about my co-workers thinking maybe I am unclean, though my appearance would tell otherwise. But still, I feel odd when I scratch my neck, then my head, then my arm, then my back, then whatever else. This happens a lot when I'm driving as well, and I'm sitting at a red light trying so hard not to scratch every itch as I would feel like everyone around me would be thinking "WTF!?"

None of my medications have this as a side-effect either, plus it's something I've done my entire life. Kind of like my chronic yawning, I just hate it.

samtoo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 5:23 pm

I have body sensitivities. When I was younger, I couldn't wear shades for longer than a few seconds without getting some sort of irritation on the bridge of my nose.