Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

LqdCrct
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Jul 2006, 3:19 pm

QUESTION: Has anyone here ever experienced or known of someone who has ever experienced a sudden sound, like a car backfiring, and then had it echo and amplify in your head until you were completely disoriented, or felt sharply each and every drop of rain as it pelted down on your skin for such a long time it hurt before your brain finally decided it would be better not to track the offenses anymore? I usually hear that sensory integration disorders are something people grow out of as they grow up, but I at 26yrs of age, I still seem to have issues. Is this a normal part of life on the spectrum or could it be something else? (i.e. obsessive-compulsive disorder, thought disorder, other...)

trapped
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Jul 2006, 3:33 pm

I personally don't experience anything like that. I do sometimes have sensory overload, but nothing like what you describe.

haggismonger
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Jul 2006, 3:55 pm

I have had a similar occurrence, but with another sense. Mysense of smell is abnormally acute, and I have experienced the sensory overload for extended periods of time after the time and location of the source of the smell has long since passed, such as driving in a car, if someone is smoking a few cars ahead of me, I'll be able to smell it miles and hours down the road, long after they turned off the road or whatever. oranges are big, and so is blood. the smell of weasels, badgers and teh like are long-lasting, and i can never seem to get the 'smell out of my nose'

Shane
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Jul 2006, 4:21 pm

Heh Haggismonger,

the united states goverment could use your sense to smell to track down scumbags. :wink:

LqdCrct,

I dont have any hearing problems. but sometimes when i hear a tune, and i like it or sometimes not, it tends to stick in my head for soo long, that eventaully i get so bored or fatigued from it that it tires me and makes me wanna sleep and yet it wont go away until i really try to divert my mind on something else. I didnt think much about this uptil now.

haggismonger
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Jul 2006, 11:20 pm

I have always been susceptible to going on for days with the same tune, not the whole song, mind you, but just a few notes rolling over and over in my head, but I always thought that everybody did that, because you hear people talk about getting a song stuck in your head, or waking up with a certain song running through your mind. I just thought that was normal.