Self diagnosed people here don't have aspergers

Page 28 of 41 [ 655 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 41  Next

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2010, 1:11 pm

bdhkhsfgk wrote:
That person is very high-function and socially skilled, he has a highly developed theory of mind, and >chose to withdraw from society<, because he felt uncomfortable being around NT's, he didn't trust them, he felt the need to relax and play videogames.

Based on what you're saying, that person would not have likely been diagnosed with an ASD - social skills, theory of mind and the conscious choice to withdraw all point to another set of conditions. I might suggest finding a more credible expert to help form the basis of your opinions, or better yet look at a broad spectrum instead of the words of one individual.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2010, 1:13 pm

Quote:
If there is a pecking order, at least you have the social know-how to have identified that....not everyone here can honestly claim to have done so well on that count.

I wouldn't say there is a pecking order on this site.

I haven't noticed one, anyways.

bdhkhsfgk
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2010, 1:22 pm

By the way, what does "chip on the shoulder" mean?

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2010, 1:23 pm

bdhkhsfgk wrote:
He's not my friend, he's just one I know from the internet, and he doesn't have a personality disorder, he's just a true aspie that said it like a true aspie would say it; "I had a social life... it sucked", he thought it was pointless to socialize just to gain a high position among monkeys, so he discovered the joy of a withdrawn life, no NT's, no boring conversations, just a perfect life with no worries.

So to be clear, you are basing your opinion of what a true aspie would be, not on clinical accounts or research, but on some sound bite produced by someone who is not actually your friend, but some complete stranger you have encountered on the internet who claims to be a male with AS but could be a cross dressing (and highly intelligent) female bonobo chimp someone taught typing to, for you all you can tell from your end of the internet connection?

If this is how you source information, it is little wonder that you do not seem to acquire particularly accurate information.

If your friend has social skills as you describe why do you perceive that AS is necessarily any more likely than Schizoid Personality Disorder. In fact how do you even know they are not just a perfectly normal person who is "yanking your chain", "having you on", "pulling your leg" and "taking the micky"?

You have never met this person and have no more than their word for it; even if they are diagnosed either what they have claimed is provably nonsense, or being diagnosed provides no certainty. I suggest the majority of people diagnosed with AS do not fit your "friend's" "no true aspie" fallacy.

missboots
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Feb 2010, 1:40 pm

bdhkhsfgk wrote:

I'm going to quote what the aspie said; "True aspergers is rare, true aspies have an aversion towards NT's, only fake and misdiagnosed aspies accept NT's completely."

That's what true aspergers is.

That person is very high-function and socially skilled, he has a highly developed theory of mind, and >chose to withdraw from society<, because he felt uncomfortable being around NT's, he didn't trust them, he felt the need to relax and play videogames.

Apparently his theory of mind isn't as highly developed as you think, considering he's still placing his thoughts on other people. Just because HE feels one way about the world, doesn't mean others feel the same. Even if they're on the spectrum. Would you say a person who has been diagnosed with AS, lets say by 2 or 3 different Dr's, but still tries to go out and socialize to the best of their abilities, isn't on the spectrum just because "A true aspie doesn't accept NT's."?

This is one of the most asinine things I've ever heard.

amazon_television
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2010, 2:11 pm

I think it's ridiculous how often these type of discussions come up on here, and how out of control they usually get. If someone wants to feel a sense of self-importance and superiority compared to others on here based on the AS label (or lack thereof), I personally think that's stupid, but they certainly are entitled to their opinion.

I am neither officially diagnosed, nor self-diagnosed. I am someone who, at present, is totally unlabeled and who happens to carry a wide array of undeniable AS traits; what that means to me is that my knowledge and intellectualization of these "differences from the norm" allows me to understand my behavior and attempt to adjust myself to meet practical, real-world demands. Nothing more, nothing less.

Anyone who feels the need to question me, be "wary" of me, etc on here, either in their own mind or publically, has my blessing in doing so 100%. It has no effect on me whatsoever.

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2010, 2:14 pm

b9 wrote:
but i think i am more affected than many people here, and they ignore me because they are looking for more advanced social interaction which i am incapable of. it is not my fault because i did not build myself.

There are many times when you post something, and I'm very surprised that no one responded to it, because it was a really good point, or it was funny.

I don't know if it's true that people are looking for more advanced social interaction. Maybe they are. One thing that I will say is that you are my favorite WP member. Or at least one of them. I always look forward to what you have to say.

You don't understand sarcasm of metaphors, but you are really good at using your own metaphors to express what you want to say, in a way that makes you seem like an interesting, bright, good person.

I hate the term "ODD" as in "Oppositional Defiant Disorder." I think it's another way of saying, "This kid is being disagreeable on purpose." I don't think it's a good label to put on anyone. If people see you as being deviant or oppositional, it's because they aren't understanding how your mind works. That's what I think.

In a lot of ways, you seem quite affected by autism, like not understanding figures of speech or what makes people do the things they do in social situations. But you also seem content and secure with who you are, and seem to be a person who cares about others in a kind and honest way.

I might not be on the spectrum, or maybe I am just a little, but for some reason I relate to a lot of the things you say. I like your sense of humor, too.

And now I'm going to put a :) to represent the fact that I felt kind of good and happy while writing this, because I was writing positive things about a person who I think is nice.

Oh, and I do know that you might read this and not really care one way or another what another person thinks of you. Or maybe you will care. Either way is fine. I just thought you might like to know that you aren't completely ignored and misunderstood on WP.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2010, 2:45 pm

bdhkhsfgk wrote:
By the way, what does "chip on the shoulder" mean?

It means carrying a grudge, with a willingness to fight over the point of the grudge for no good reason. It derives from the custom, apparently once common among schoolboys in the late 1800s, of starting a "pecking order" fight by one boy placing a chip of wood on his shoulder and daring another boy to knock it off - if the dare were accepted, it might well look to an adult nearby that the dared child had actually struck the darer first, and thus the resulting fight might well be accepted as the dared child "getting what he deserved." Otherwise, if the fight seemed to have no higher purpose than establishing pecking order, an adult might interrupt it.

johanstruijk82
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Feb 2010, 3:46 pm

First of all I'm sorry for my rude comment, but I do still stick to do the point that self-diagnosed people should not put 'diagnosed' on this forum, I guess that is quite logical (well, it is for me).

quote:
"he could travel to different countries independently too, so no, he doesn't need help, he just wants to live a good life."

Well I think quite a lot of aspies can do this, I traveled to Australia for 5 months, Singapore, the US and two years I spent in Romania with my ex-gf there. But it is complete suffering for me, ppl think i'm a complete ret*d because of my stare and my bad motoric skills. When I was in Romania at the end my parents had to pick me up by car (2000 km ride) because I went completely insane by anxiety. I couldn't even spend 2 hours in the airplane. In the car with my parents I was sure I would get a heart attack and was really only,completely in my head and could almost not walk anymore. Very frightening, so for now I will stay in this boring small village.

wildgrape
Toucan
Toucan

02 Feb 2010, 7:10 pm

b9 wrote:
i do not understand where most people are coming from and they also do not understand where i am coming from in my replies.

Perhaps I am not as much affected by autism as you are, but I understand where you are coming from better than I do most other posters here, and I always enjoy your posts.

Quote:
i am at the bottom of the pecking order on this site

I haven't detected any pecking order here. On what basis have you concluded that you are at the bottom of the pecking order? Is it because you feel that nobody replies to your posts?

Quote:
there are social cliques on this site and i have no ability to join in.

I also sense that there are social cliques on this site, and I have no ability to join in either, but then I have no desire to do so. It is still surprising to me that social cliques exist among autists.

Quote:
i live by myself and can make money with my mind

This creates a problem for you on this forum because it deviates from the established narrative in two ways. First, there is resistance, and at times hostility, to the notion that a true autist can work and have a successful career. Second, it challenges the accepted view here that social skills are a prerequisite in the job market.

Quote:
my bosses… do not invite me to any social things

How discourteous of them! But if you attended one of their dinner parties you might find it more trying than you imagine.

veiledexpressions
Toucan
Toucan

02 Feb 2010, 8:03 pm

I do think, sometimes, people do have misconceptions about Aspergers because of those who incorrectly self diagnose, or those who believe what they read online. I have had people think I was more severe than I am, because they expect those with AS to function on a higher level.

Personally, I don't care what someone does. I think some are right and some are wrong. Arguing the point will change nothing, and alienate those who come here for support.

hellopeople
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Feb 2010, 8:14 pm

I was self-diagnosed until I went to my appointment about 5 hours ago and was diagnosed. So I'm official now.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2010, 9:11 pm

Cool. Hope being officially autistic doesn't freak you out too bad. :)

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

02 Feb 2010, 9:16 pm

I was diagnosed with autism when I was two or three and then I was no longer autistic when they decided I just have the behavior because of my hearing loss and ear infections I had when I was a baby. Then I was autistic again when I got diagnosed with AS. :lol:

bhetti
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2010, 9:18 pm

I would never have been diagnosed as having Aspergers if I had not first diagnosed myself. doctors and therapists tend to get stuck on depression and anxiety disorders and seem loathe to explore more deeply, especially when the patient is an adult female with children who presents with extreme anxiety.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 Feb 2010, 10:04 pm

I have been looking at this thread for some time now trying to ponder the responses and understand them. I joined WrongPlanet after my official diagnosis of AS, but I do communicate with several members here who are self diagnosed. So the saying that the self diagnosed don't have AS could be quite hurtful. Personally I would resent this line of thinking too.

Let us look at the WrongPlanet and see how it is set up. It allows a member to choose between options like AS diagnosed, AS not diagnosed, not sure, etc. So---guess what? It is perfectly acceptable for a self diagnosed AS to be self diagnosed and claim they have AS. If certain people have a problem with the self diagnosed here, then they should look for another website to belong to because the WrongPlanet supports the self diagnosed---and it is acceptable. This is a website for support---and the self diagnosed often need more support than the diagnosed.