i thought aspies have high iq................

Page 3 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2010, 10:07 pm

I think the only disorder that's linked to a higher IQ is OCD.

AS is within the normal range of ability.

au
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Mar 2010, 11:42 pm

Danielismyname wrote:
I think the only disorder that's linked to a higher IQ is OCD.

AS is within the normal range of ability.

so you mean most of them have a high iq or higher iq?

au
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Mar 2010, 11:50 pm

spudmonkey wrote:
My IQ was tested at 14, I scored 158. I'm rubbish at mathematics. I'm not really good at anything, unless I become intently interested in a subject, and even then it's a very narrow interest (newts). The one thing I'm exceptionally good at is drawing and painting, and I hate drawing and art related activities with a passion.

I've done a dozen of those online IQ test recently and my scores are erratic, as low as 80 and as high as the 150's. I don't bother with them any more, all they prove is that some days I test well other days I don't.

do you have facebook?

spudmonkey
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Mar 2010, 11:56 pm

au wrote:
spudmonkey wrote:

do you have facebook?

Nah, Facebook not really my scene.

au
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Mar 2010, 12:10 am

spudmonkey wrote:
au wrote:
spudmonkey wrote:

do you have facebook?

Nah, Facebook not really my scene.

i was just wondering if you could do that iq test there i justed wanted to see what my real iq score is. i thought this test was pretty decent, so i think i might get a rough estimate of the real one by comparison.

irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2010, 1:02 am

I was regarded as gifted in school, I'm supposed to be pretty intelligent, I feel pretty intelligent, but while I am good at math it's only in more of a puzzle solving capacity... in practical application, not gifted at all. I feel very much like an artist though I am not exceptional at drawing, a writer though I have seldom finished a story, a maker though I am afraid to share what I make. I can turn my hands to many different crafts and skills. I am very bad with money, have what I think are almost crippling problems with executive function, to the point that even though I can write I have had much trouble with plot structure despite a lot of independent remedial study. I spell very well indeed, yet in my typing, the letters often come in a funny order. I am undiagnosed, yet I stim one way or another non-stop during my waking hours, so that I have been unable to say, "Well, maybe I am gifted and that's why I don't blend in so well."

There's no standard to this stuff. There are only guidelines.

The world loves diversity... as long as it's pretty, makes them look smart and doesn't put them out in any way.

There's the road, and the road less traveled, and then there's MY road.

Notsurprised
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Mar 2010, 1:53 am

Never had an offical IQ test have been told that I must have an above average IQ tho,
to be able to do higher level maths and such. I have never felt to smart though just relising now about obssetions (excuse the dyslexia) unless you have them you probly won't understand them fully. easy to learn about an obssetion topic.
Had a friend who died about a year ago who had a really high IQ I would say that she was the most depressed unhappy person I will probly ever meet. (and not because of substance abuse either or anything)
I think a person might be happier with a lower IQ
I hate having a movie figured out by the end of the first act, having to act dumb
to fit in. It seems people get the Idea that if you see things different than the majority your the supid one and need to have this pointed out.

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2010, 2:10 am

I thought math was "hard" but I still got Bs in it. That's not ineptitude.

Although that was my lowest grade in college.

tinmaiden
Raven
Raven

20 Mar 2010, 2:43 am

Being good at math and being terrible at math are both associated with AS, depending on what you read. I think what makes both of them stereotypes is the tendency for individuals with AS to either be VERY good or VERY bad at things, and not a lot in-between.

-Fyodor Dostoevsky

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2010, 2:47 am

tinmaiden wrote:
Being good at math and being terrible at math are both associated with AS, depending on what you read. I think what makes both of them stereotypes is the tendency for individuals with AS to either be VERY good or VERY bad at things, and not a lot in-between.

I thought that there was something indicative of autistic spectrum disorders (or maybe this was pervasive developmental disorders in general) on IQ tests. Like, there would be a gap in the scores on verbal and perceptual IQ. Your combined IQ might be really high, but your perceptual could be low (making you bad at math) and your verbal would be really high (making you likely to be a polyglot), or your verbal would be really low (meaning you might have language difficulties) and your perceptual would be really high (making you some kind of math genius).

There's like a 40-odd gap between my verbal and perceptual (verbal's higher). The overall IQ is still high and I'm not terrible at math, but it's always been the subject I've done the worst in.

tinmaiden
Raven
Raven

20 Mar 2010, 2:59 am

MizLiz wrote:
tinmaiden wrote:

I thought that there was something indicative of autistic spectrum disorders (or maybe this was pervasive developmental disorders in general) on IQ tests. Like, there would be a gap in the scores on verbal and perceptual IQ. Your combined IQ might be really high, but your perceptual could be low (making you bad at math) and your verbal would be really high (making you likely to be a polyglot), or your verbal would be really low (meaning you might have language difficulties) and your perceptual would be really high (making you some kind of math genius).

There's like a 40-odd gap between my verbal and perceptual (verbal's higher). The overall IQ is still high and I'm not terrible at math, but it's always been the subject I've done the worst in.

As a polyglot who is average at math, I can attest to the fact that it's not unusual to have such a gap in abilities. Since test-taking is a skill in itself, I was referring more to performance rather than IQ scores, as cumulative intelligence can't be accurately gleaned from a test score in itself.

It's a good thing that "emotional intelligence" isn't measured by IQ. I'd be effectively screwed.

-Fyodor Dostoevsky

Villette
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Mar 2010, 6:08 am

for a good student, i'm terrible at math. To the general population, perhaps average. Trouble is, in my country, a number of people are good at math, making me stupider! :( Compared to my clever scientific relatives, my math is nowhere. However, my chemistry is much better than most people's even in my school, where there are a number of smart students. I don't have to study very hard to score in it. In fact my friend totally beats me at physics and math, but she can't understand chem. My dad's math is even worse than mine (close to failing) so it could be genetic. Weird, huh? What sort of intelligence is aptitude in chemistry? I would really like to know,

CerebralDreamer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2010, 8:00 am

Villette wrote:
for a good student, i'm terrible at math. To the general population, perhaps average. Trouble is, in my country, a number of people are good at math, making me stupider! :( Compared to my clever scientific relatives, my math is nowhere. However, my chemistry is much better than most people's even in my school, where there are a number of smart students. I don't have to study very hard to score in it. In fact my friend totally beats me at physics and math, but she can't understand chem. My dad's math is even worse than mine (close to failing) so it could be genetic. Weird, huh? What sort of intelligence is aptitude in chemistry? I would really like to know,

Chemistry deals with a lot of visual processing. You have to think in three dimensions for a lot of it, and this becomes much more of an issue in higher level chemistry.

It also depends a lot less on rote memorization. In Math, once you have the formulas memorized it's pretty easy to see which one fits the problem at hand. It's not as clear cut when you're dealing with chemistry.

I would say that even though Chemistry can be simpler than Mathematics, it's far more abstract. This difference just becomes more pronounced as you go into higher level classes.

Autistic-Me_Star
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Mar 2010, 1:09 pm

I have a low IQ but i have autism and i dont like IQ's which tells u if you have a learning disability and quite frankly they have used my IQ to denying other access to other services.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2010, 1:22 pm

They used mine to deny access to services, too, only they used the argument that "you're too smart to need help with that". So I still can't use the freaking bus system, and forget asking for help with learning efficient shopping and cooking--obviously you can do that for yourself if you can do calculus, right? Not so much. Takes me forever and I still end up with a monotonous diet.

Whichever way it goes, you get screwed.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

nothingunusual
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2010, 4:13 pm

I'd say the IQs listed here by many are grossly exaggerated. Especially considering the legions of people claiming to be in the 99th percentile. I'd say that most of these result have been taken from online 'IQ tests', which usually spit out a vanity score. Have you ever seen anyone score lower than 110 on the internet? I haven't. Also, we have deficits in certain areas which brings the overall IQ score down since it's so patchy - Someone could score 130 on verbal ability, 140 on spatial and 80 on short term memory, which obviously impacts the average score. I scored 132 overall, I'm well above the bell curve on some areas, average in some, and considerably lower than average in others.

No, not all AS people are 'smart' in the hard sciences sense. There are many types of intelligences. They might be good artists and score high on spatial and such, or they might be great wordsmiths with a high verbal IQ.

And in the passing of momentary stillness.
We can see our chaos in motion.

Last edited by nothingunusual on 23 Mar 2010, 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.