i thought aspies have high iq................

Page 4 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2010, 4:24 pm

nothingunusual wrote:
I'd say the IQs listed here by many are grossly exaggerated. Especially considering the legions of people claiming to be in the 99th percentile. I'd say that most of these result have been taken from online 'IQ tests', which usually spit out a vanity score. Have you ever seen anyone score lower that 110 on the internet?

I've seen it.

What I was going to post (can't check if it's been said) is:

1: The AS cutoff is usually 70. Average AS IQ is only higher because of that cutoff.
2. High IQ doesn't mean anything about science
3. High IQ can go with learning disabilities (twice exceptional)
4. Not every autistic person here is a &$?% aspie. (Sick of invisibility.)

pumibel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2010, 4:29 pm

au wrote:
Willard wrote:
au wrote:
people with high iq are usually great with science, especially math and physics.

WTF? That's a very odd assumption. One can be a brilliant artist, writer, inventor, humorist, dancer, teacher or philosopher (just to name a few) and absolutely suuuuck at mathematics. I find physics fascinating but the math that supports it is incomprehensible to me. The conceptual theories make perfect sense because I can visualize them as models. The math involves mixing numbers and letters and that's just plain nonsense. :roll:

Conversely you can be an amazing Mathematician and be utterly lousy at teaching math to other people. Wouldn't the people who grasp higher math so easily be the best at helping other minds to understand it? One would think, but it rarely works out that way...

I think you're stereotyping IQ by the criteria of a Poindexter cartoon.

In any case, Aspies aren't born with silver Doctorates in their mouths. If they are, somebody lost mine, along with my bronzed baby shoes...and my train set. :wink:

can people just understand im saying some, not all????????? man

i didn't stereotype anything. i said usually, and did i say people, who are great with math, can also teach well? i think youguys are the ones stereotyping, not me, in thinking that im stereotyping.

science people tend to have high iq's because science is fact and arts is nothing but something you make up. language isn't something you can make up now, but it was made up a long time ago, and science wasn't but discovered. for science, you have to go to it, but for arts, it comes to you instead. im guessing this could be the reason men tend to do better in science and women in arts. these are the subjects that seem to fit their instincts. for example, men are the ones usually to propose to ask people out like trying to figure out fact, whereas women are the ones being asked like creating literature. it also fits their physical lay out, if you get what i mean, the physical difference between men and women.

Perhaps you don't understand what stereotyping is. Everything you are saying relates back to some sort of stereotype here. And what do you mean art is just something someone makes up? I am an artist, and I have a high IQ.People who get art degrees have to take more than art classes, and what about engineers and architects? Geometry, drafting, etc uses math. In fact, studies have proven that kids who take art or music do better in math and science. It is about stimulating both sides of the brain.

nothingunusual
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2010, 4:45 pm

au wrote:
]im guessing this could be the reason men tend to do better in science and women in arts. these are the subjects that seem to fit their instincts. for example, men are the ones usually to propose to ask people out like trying to figure out fact, whereas women are the ones being asked like creating literature. it also fits their physical lay out, if you get what i mean, the physical difference between men and women.

On average, women are more empathetic than men, while men are more systematic than women. Women are more likely to grasp the complexities of human matters easier, so as a result you'll find more women in the arts/humanities than the sciences. Men are more objective and fact/system orientated, so they tend to to dominate scientific fields.

The only real link between people with AS and science is in this theory. Most of us score lower in empathetic ability and high in systematising ability whether we're male or female.

And in the passing of momentary stillness.
We can see our chaos in motion.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

23 Mar 2010, 5:14 pm

nothingunusual wrote:
Have you ever seen anyone score lower than 110 on the internet? I haven't.

Actually I have seen quite a few people score less than 110 on the internet. Maybe you are just looking in places online where people like to brag about their high IQ and not in the general 'online population'.

Anyway I'm not good at math either. My IQ has been professionally tested in the 130's yet at school I was a chronic under achiever, especially in math. Teachers were always commenting on how I had so much potential but just didn't 'apply myself'. The truth was, I was trying...math just isn't something I'm good at.

nothingunusual
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2010, 6:00 pm

Brittany2907 wrote:
nothingunusual wrote:
Have you ever seen anyone score lower than 110 on the internet? I haven't.

Actually I have seen quite a few people score less than 110 on the internet. Maybe you are just looking in places online where people like to brag about their high IQ and not in the general 'online population'.

Still, 'quite a few' should really be 'the vast majority'. :wink:

And in the passing of momentary stillness.
We can see our chaos in motion.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2010, 8:05 pm

au wrote:
a lot of them do and people with high iq are usually great with science, especially math and physics.
however, http://www.wrongplanet.net/postxf118168-0-15.html

the poll is asking which is the hardest subject and math has the most vote, then physics.

why is this? i thought aspies are the people of science. im assuming that hard means inproficiency.

Math and physics are inherently tough subjects, even for talented folks.

ruveyn

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2010, 11:57 pm

anbuend wrote:
1: The AS cutoff is usually 70. Average AS IQ is only higher because of that cutoff.
2. High IQ doesn't mean anything about science
3. High IQ can go with learning disabilities (twice exceptional)
4. Not every autistic person here is a &$?% aspie. (Sick of invisibility.)
Disagree with the first one; there's more to it than that. Average AS IQ is also higher because psychologists are less likely to diagnose classic autism in someone with a high IQ, even though they fit all the traits of classic autism. Same goes for IQs in the 70s or 80s; someone is far more likely to be called Autistic or PDD-NOS in that range even though he fits the Asperger's description. Stereotypes have a great deal to do with the "high IQ" idea of Asperger's. The professionals connect AS with the idea of high IQ; so they diagnose AS in those with high IQs, especially when they're looking at cases with odd/non-communicative speech rather than simply delayed speech...

BTW, you're not invisible--just outnumbered. Here, anyway. And it seems to me that were we diagnosed by the book, you wouldn't be outnumbered, because most of us would fall neatly into the definition of regular autism, and many of the rest into PDD-NOS... very few Aspies left, when you actually go by the book.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2010, 12:15 am

Callista wrote:
They used mine to deny access to services, too, only they used the argument that "you're too smart to need help with that". So I still can't use the freaking bus system, and forget asking for help with learning efficient shopping and cooking--obviously you can do that for yourself if you can do calculus, right? Not so much. Takes me forever and I still end up with a monotonous diet.

Whichever way it goes, you get screwed.

I know what you mean. I can do theoretical mathematics but can't make change.

Avarice
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2010, 2:49 am

I've never taken an IQ test, and I'm glad that I haven't from what you people are saying, they actually use IQ when diagnosing a disorder? How stupid. There is much more to intelligence than IQ.

But not everybody in one group is good at the same thing. I'm good at Math and Science, many aren't. Many NT's are great at Math and Science, better than I am. However, many aren't. Some with Autism aren't either. I'm bad at sports, so are many people, however, many are good at sports, regardless of mental disorders.

It's all about generalization, don't do it and you'll be fine.

Villette
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Mar 2010, 4:20 am

If many people here are classical autistics, why are they very verbal? Surely that would be HFA? If they're not Aspies what on earth is AS? Now I am not sure what sort of autistic I am. :confused:

CerebralDreamer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2010, 4:51 am

Callista wrote:
Disagree with the first one; there's more to it than that. Average AS IQ is also higher because psychologists are less likely to diagnose classic autism in someone with a high IQ, even though they fit all the traits of classic autism. Same goes for IQs in the 70s or 80s; someone is far more likely to be called Autistic or PDD-NOS in that range even though he fits the Asperger's description. Stereotypes have a great deal to do with the "high IQ" idea of Asperger's. The professionals connect AS with the idea of high IQ; so they diagnose AS in those with high IQs, especially when they're looking at cases with odd/non-communicative speech rather than simply delayed speech...

BTW, you're not invisible--just outnumbered. Here, anyway. And it seems to me that were we diagnosed by the book, you wouldn't be outnumbered, because most of us would fall neatly into the definition of regular autism, and many of the rest into PDD-NOS... very few Aspies left, when you actually go by the book.

That was my case. Classic autism fit the diagnosis much better than anything else, but I was bumped up to Asperger's Syndrome on the basis of intelligence. I was constantly getting marked above my grade level on standardized exams.

I'm wondering if that impacted the level of services received.

Autistic-Me_Star
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Mar 2010, 3:58 pm

Low IQ are 70 or below which says you have a learning disability if it higher then it says you havent got a learning disability. i have been denied access to a mental health cos of my low IQ

spacecadetdave
Raven
Raven

25 Mar 2010, 4:03 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I may not be the brightest, but I'm an excellent drummer. :)

Please take this in the light hearted and playful manner in which it is meant, but that could have been a quote from Keith Moon. Or just about any of the 60s/70s drummers.

I suspect anyone who's ever been in a rock or punk band had a snigger at that one.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2010, 4:19 pm

i do not know how my IQ rates. I would assume IQ may be quite irrelevant in my case. I have spike talents - pronounced splinter skills in some areas - and yet my working memory (short-term) is poor and I also dud out badly at anything beyond basic maths.
And yet I have won awards for painting, writing, duxed my school subjects and some uni subjects (no maths or science subjects included in those overrall marks) and present with a COMPLETELY UNEVEN PATTERN of abilities.

IQ and ASD's? I don't think they are very relevant for us.

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2010, 5:11 pm

millie wrote:
i do not know how my IQ rates. I would assume IQ may be quite irrelevant in my case. I have spike talents - pronounced splinter skills in some areas - and yet my working memory (short-term) is poor and I also dud out badly at anything beyond basic maths.
And yet I have won awards for painting, writing, duxed my school subjects and some uni subjects (no maths or science subjects included in those overrall marks) and present with a COMPLETELY UNEVEN PATTERN of abilities.

Same here.
My cognitive abilities profile (I.Q. test) is scattered all over the place , ranging from hitting the ceiling on one part to a little below average on one subpart ; overall verbal is over performance as is typicaL .

I think I.Q. test' are can be useful for this as a measurement/litmus for detecting this( asd).

millie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2010, 5:21 pm

Mdyar wrote:
millie wrote:

Same here.
My cognitive abilities profile (I.Q. test) is scattered all over the place , ranging from hitting the ceiling on one part to a little below average on one subpart ; overall verbal is over performance as is typicaL .

I think I.Q. test' are can be useful for this as a measurement/litmus for detecting this( asd).

good point Mdyar. they can be exceedingly useful in terms of indicating and measuring the uneven pattern of abilities! :)
But the overall score may be irrelevant.