I talked about autism rights at school!

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

sErgEantaEgis
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 May 2010, 11:38 am

I'm so happy guys!At school we had a project were we had to choose a ause to manifest and fight for.Instead of choosing usual causes like ''man's rights'' or ''save the planet'' I chosed...drumrun please...AUTISTIC RIGHTS!!!Yeah!I talked(In front of the whole class) about the autism neurodiversity movement.I explained that autistic were all different and I told them about the crappy organizations like Autism Speaks or Defeat Autism Now! that don't really advocate for us nor help us.I explained other things like ''we're people too'' and ''when you know someone on the spectrum,you know one person on the spectrum''.Everyone was listenning and asking questions(And oddly enough,they weren't as ignorant as I tought).At the end,the class went crazy and applaude like at a U2 performance,I almost went deaf!My teacher said I had a very good point and an interesting cause and the other students said that I wasn't very different of them and autism/AS wasn't as bad at it is shown on the media...I was soooooo proud! :D ...Sadly,I was kinda shy so I missed some good concepts and stuff I wanted to talk about :oops:

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2010, 11:54 am

Don't be hard on yourself for missing a couple of talking points. With the applause you got, you must have made enough good ones to get your message out. You did a great job. Congrats!

keriEFC
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 May 2010, 12:00 pm

Congratulations! :D

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2010, 12:18 pm

Well done :thumleft:

You probably got a lot of conversations started and planted a seed of doubt in many minds about Autism Speaks and Defeat Autism Now. Many of them will talk amongst themselves. Some of them will talk to their parents.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2010, 12:33 pm

Thank you, sErgEantaEgis - here's hoping your match spreads into a huge flame of awareness that illuminates the planetery zeitgeist.

j0sh
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2010, 12:34 pm

:-) Way to go!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2010, 12:36 pm

Congratulations! :D

pumibel
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2010, 12:45 pm

You are awesome- I am wiping tears right now. I am so proud of you1

MommyJones
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2010, 1:01 pm

That is a wonderful story! I hope I made the same kind of impact on my facebook page in April. I was also doing the same type of thing using quotes from people on here. I hope I at least made an impression on at least one person.

Congratulations! 8)

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2010, 1:07 pm

Very well done! Congratulations!! !! :cheers:

wormsto
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 May 2010, 1:25 pm

:D that sounds tottally fab :)

Kiley
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2010, 1:47 pm

Congratulations! Think of all the lives you've touched. When your classmates meet other people with ASDs they will be more likely to be open minded. Good work!

musicislife
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2010, 3:24 pm

Congratulations!! !! !! !! I salute you for getting the word out to more people. :salut:

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2010, 3:30 pm

think you could copy/paste the paper/research so we could all see it?

julie_la_jolie
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 May 2010, 3:52 pm

Wow, Well done sErgEantaEgis, I always knew you could change other person perception about autism/AS ! !! Good Job ! I will enjoy talking with you next time about all the details of that performance :)

Rose_in_Winter
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2010, 4:10 pm

Wow, good for you! That takes a lot of courage. Educating our peers about autism/AS is the best way to help eliminate the stigma and get people thinking and advocating! Public speaking can be a horrorshow for some of us; it's great that you can get up there and talk about it! (I love public speaking and oral presentations -- they are the best way to educate and explain!)