What Medication or Holistic Therapy works for Asperger Syndr

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

enlightenedshadow44
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jun 2010, 7:35 am

I was diagnosed with Pervasive Developmental Disorder, with components of Aspergers and Autism. I do not know if it is what i actually have.. but i have tried to take the extra B6 B12 remedies, I started off with Paxil to Seroquel Prozac, Welbutrin, Lexapro..

and now on Luvox...

what works for best for most people and why?
I always get suckered in looking for a magic pill that doesnt exist
but i think it does, it is in our brains our thoughts it just needs to be
processed in reality

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 7:44 am

I am on vyvanse, which is apparently supposed to reduce my ADHD symptoms. It helps me, because it reduces my appetite and I can focus on my obsessions. Also, it helps me focus a lot more.

enlightenedshadow44
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jun 2010, 8:05 am

thanx again ferdinand i will research that :D

Ferdinand wrote:
I am on vyvanse, which is apparently supposed to reduce my ADHD symptoms. It helps me, because it reduces my appetite and I can focus on my obsessions. Also, it helps me focus a lot more.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 8:23 am

Acceptance is a good medicine. :wink:

enlightenedshadow44
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jun 2010, 8:27 am

well said, but then you have to earn it, or gain trust in it, which if is not their makes the ballgame even harder

matrixluver
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jun 2010, 8:39 am

things that sound plausible to me are vitamin supplements like B vitamins and going gluten free IF you are intolerant and/or a celiac. Interestingly, Autism is much more likely to occur in families that have autoimmune diseases. Now, the question is, are there linked genes or is Autism caused by an autoimmune disease? I don't know. Research is inconclusive about the gluten-free/casein free diets. But many people are sensitive to wheat, and as long as you watch your nutrition, it can't HURT.

Steer clear of chelation, hyperbaric oxygen chambers, immunosuppressive drugs, and Lupron; these things are dangerous even for people who really need to use them. Neurological damage and other side effects can happen, the worst of which being death. I think DAN doctors who use these things, especially on children, should face criminal charges and be barred from practicing medicine. "First, do no harm." The FDA won't even research chelation as a treatment for Autism because it is too dangerous to subject children to when the children do not have a degenerative or terminal condition.

B vitamins can be very helpful in dealing with depression, as can plain old exercise. You can treat co-morbid conditions with traditional meds for anxiety, Obsessive-compulsive disorder, depression, adhd symptoms. But alas there is no "Autism" medication.

Your best bet for therapy is a psychologist who practices cognitive behavior therapy, but who uses an approach tailor made for Autism/PDD.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 8:43 am

There's a free treatment that Dr. Tony Attwood recommends.

Go into an empty room and close the door behind you.

Works EVERY time for me :wink: :arrow:

Irvy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jun 2010, 9:08 am

My own personal experience leads me to strongly recommend 5-htp. It's not a drug, it's a food supplement, and it provides your body with everything it needs to make plenty of seratonin. According to my research, autistic biology processes seratonin differently, and much of the "visible" autistic signals, like stimming, are a sign of low seratonin levels.

All I can say is that it has made a considerable difference to how I cope with the world.

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 9:25 am

Irvy, what is 5-htp and how does it work?

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 9:31 am

Blindspot149 wrote:

Works EVERY time for me :wink: :arrow:

This is funny. And oddly enough, it does work!

enlightenedshadow44
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jun 2010, 9:53 am

i have tried 5'http it was either not strong enough or seemed to make impulses worse.. :(
but every person is different thanks for the info...

LancetChick
Raven
Raven

01 Jun 2010, 9:57 am

I get acupuncture for my social anxiety, which relaxes me, makes me more comfortable talking to people, calms my allergies and makes my rosacia go away. I wish I had enough time and money to get acupuncture every day. Oh, and it enables me to go to the dentist without being heavily sedated.

enlightenedshadow44
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jun 2010, 10:04 am

thanks lancet i almost tried that, what was remarkable about that is they said it would be six or seven treatments, and then they said it would be finished.. no check ups nothing else needed, but i was also trying to give blood, and then they wouldn't let me do that if i had acupuncture.. but now its just funds :(

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 1:54 pm

enlightenedshadow44 wrote:
I always get suckered in looking for a magic pill that doesnt exist

Looks like you answered your own question.

There is no medication effective for Autism or Asperger Syndrome. You may treat the comorbids like Anxiety, Depression, ADHD and so on individually if you don't mind marinating your brain in a drug cocktail, but sometimes those medications have toxic reactions with each other and can cause more negative behaviors than they help.

CockneyRebel wrote:
Acceptance is a good medicine.

Its the only real medicine for AS. Everything else is as self-abusive as Bulimia or addiction to cosmetic surgery. There's nothing about you that needs fixing.

"You're should-ing all over yourself." - Stuart Smalley :wink:

Blindspot149 wrote:

Works EVERY time for me

Been using that therapy for years and years, and it never fails to make me feel better. Hey - I'm doing it right now! :D

enlightenedshadow44
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jun 2010, 3:50 pm

wow i don't know what to say, it is hopeful to talk to like - minded individuals with interests, etc and same ideas, to i guess enhance it being the secret pill=
acceptance communication from us fellow AS's

carltcwc
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jun 2010, 11:41 pm

As far as I know, currently rispridal and abilify are the only approved medications for autism spectrum disorders. Other meds are prescribed off label as well to treat other symptoms and co-morbid conditions.

I take 10mg abilify and 200mg provigil. It works great.
I recomend vitamins as well.
Some people do fine without any meds.
Rispridal made me grind my teeth.
Antidepressants make me psycho.
Typical stimulants give me severe withdraws.
Most other antipsychotics make me sleep all day.

Everyone is going to respond to meds differantly.