Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Maddino87
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Jun 2010, 1:18 pm

Why do I hesitate on tasks I plan to do? I have to send my truck to have its radiator repaired and upgrade my laptop's system. However it's been two months since the radiator issues started and I still haven't done anything about it, and the last time the laptop was upgraded was 1 and 1/2 years ago instead of a month, now operating with faulty internet access.

Could it be that I'm not pushed by other people to finish tasks?

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 1:23 pm

For me that kind of procrastination usually involves a heightened level of anxiety. There's social interaction with strangers involved and I can put that off almost indefinitely. Once in a great while, I'll have a good day when I'm feeling more confident than normal and I'll go take care of several things in the same day that I've been putting off for months. But internal stress can keep me virtually incapacitated for long periods of time, no matter how many important tasks are waiting to be done...

clumsybee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jun 2010, 2:45 pm

I normally only procrastinate like this on tasks that are really important. I'm sort of a perfectionist, and if it's something that I care about, I want that task to be done perfectly, which I worry I won't be able to do, so I try putting it off because I think I'll be able to do the work better at a different time. That's how the cycle goes for me anyway.

Assembly
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Jun 2010, 2:53 pm

I was thinking of changing a lightbulb, and it took me 4 days from considering to do so to actually carry out the task. Jokes are on me :?

jeweetwelwie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Jun 2010, 6:21 pm

Assembly wrote:
I was thinking of changing a lightbulb, and it took me 4 days from considering to do so to actually carry out the task. Jokes are on me :?

I did 2 in a few months :roll: . Took me about 20 minutes from going to the shop 'till having them in.

Fintan29
Toucan
Toucan

09 Jun 2010, 6:32 pm

That happens to me a lot. I actually feel that it is one of my main barriers in life.
If it's something like asking someone for a lend of money for example, it will take me months to do so. Sometimes, I don't even end up doing so.
If it's something like downloading a file, the hesitance will last no longer than a few days.

I currently have stuff like this I want to get out of the way.

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 6:55 pm

happens to me too, and i don't think it's just laziness or procrastination. avoidance of dealing with people or certain settings, maybe.

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 9:18 pm

Sometimes I just spend too much time trying to motivate myself into doing the things that should be done; if I succeed in the motivation, then those things that I've been thinking about doing will get done eventually; but if I don't succeed with the self-motivation, then those things are simply left for another season.