The ethics of procreation, and the meaning of "special&

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Whatsherhame
Toucan
Toucan

20 Jun 2010, 4:10 pm

If everyone who was discriminated against or had health problems didn't procreate, then there would be nobody left on the planet. There are bigger reasons not to have kids then that. If you weren't bullied and if you never had trouble with anything growing up, then you've missed something important. Life is not superhappyfunland. Your future kids are going to have trouble and suffer no matter what you do. I'd rather it be just autism or some other lifelong disability then AIDS or cancer. Choosing not to have kids because they will suffer doesn't seem logically sound to me. :?

Quote:
Do teenagers say that?

Please don't generalize. I am a teenager and I've never thought like that.

EDIT: Forgot to add that "Special" isn't actually something said to make YOU feel better about being disabled, it's said so your parents and family can feel better about it. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

eon
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Jun 2010, 9:56 pm

The ethics of procreation:

How would it be ethical NOT to pass on the impossible gift of consciousness to a new member of your species?

The cosmic inevitability of our current collective existence is incomprehensible and fantastic to me.
I feel I don't deserve what I've inherited, this consciousness in this life.

ADHDer since 1990. Diagnosed Aspie 8/2010

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2010, 10:36 pm

I'm teenager, too; that's why I'm surprised.

NOT A DOCTOR

Whatsherhame
Toucan
Toucan

20 Jun 2010, 10:51 pm

DandelionFireworks wrote:
I'm teenager, too; that's why I'm surprised.

Ah, now I understand. It's all good, then. :)

Erilyn
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Jun 2010, 11:30 pm

I was bullied my entire childhood/teen life, however my parents' response to it was "just ignore it". What a typical NT response. I DO have a child, and I am not going to to teach her to "just ignore it" if and when she is ever bullied. I agree with one of the previous posters who said an aspie parent would be better for an aspie child. She may not turn out to be an aspie - she is only a year old so God knows what she will be yet, but if she is I will be better equipped to help her with her issues.

I have come to accept my past for what it is - my past - I am over 30 years old now and am thankfully no longer bullied. Not in the traditional sense, anyway. I no longer wish that I have never been born. I haven't thought that way in many years. And the fact that I DID think that way at one time can be chalked up to the fact that my parents didn't have a friggin clue what I was going through. I might if my child goes through it.

Notsurprised
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Jun 2010, 12:36 am

Erilyn
had no thoughts of replieing to this thread till I read your reply,
It would have change my thoughts of having had children if my father in particular had a
clue about anything about my problems I guess he was too bussy
with his obssetions.Thing is my Dad is a very nice man.He is just in a world of his
own. when I was growing up I never knew what to think about anything for my dad would always
be playing the devils advocate. It would seem if somebody was bullying me dad would almost
in my mind, be able to justify the bullying. So I always thought I deserved the treatment.
point is never liked myself so how could I like or love anybody to want to have children.
getting too old to have children now Glad I did not have kids, starting to have pysch
problems now which I have read is common with aspies my age which would not be
fair to any children I would have had anyway (having troulble knownig what is real or not)

Pseudonymous
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Jun 2010, 2:39 am

Suffering is a significant part of life. There are varying degrees, but being on the autistic spectrum doesn't guarantee unbearable suffering.

Eugenics sounds logical until you remember that people are humans and not farm animals.