Would you want to live in an "aspie community"?

Page 4 of 6 [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2010, 6:49 pm

spooky13 wrote:
So there'd be a community of people that would never look each other in the eye or never talk one on one because of fear of starting a conversation? 8O

A conversation would be something like this.
"Hey"
"Hey"
"How's it going"
"Fine, you?"
"Good"
**AWKWARD SILENCE...**
"I gotta go now, see ya later"
"bye"

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2010, 7:26 pm

Positively. It would be a law abiding community.

Variant
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jun 2010, 9:06 pm

I'd be up for giving it a try. It would probably be less annoying than living around a bunch of NT's.

Those saying it could lead to future segregation... the Amish live by themselves and there are some Mormon towns and such, but people can leave those areas freely and mingle with the rest of society despite having been separated for some time. Granted being separated for religious reasons is a little different than due to the way ones brain functions.

And halebop, while I understand your argument against it, it stands on the basic assumption that all of us want to learn more about NT life. I'm quite familiar with how they do things, and don't need to continue living amongst them to "learn more about life."

Last edited by Variant on 20 Jun 2010, 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2010, 9:12 pm

I just had a conversation with my wife about a world filled only with Aspies. We both agreed it wouldn't be a great idea.

We also agreed that a world with no Aspies is not where we'd want to be either.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

SoSayWeAll
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2010, 11:24 pm

Since I don't think I would meet the admission requirements, I would find myself missing friends of mine, and other interesting people. There are NTs I can get along with, but not ever having the chance to let down my hair, figuratively speaking, would be lonely after a little bit. :(

DaWalker
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2010, 11:34 pm

"Let down your Hair" :?:
It's a clothing optional community :!:

Ergo_Proxy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Jun 2010, 12:06 am

I'm not sure how an aspie community would be much different than any other communities that exist. We already have self segregated communities based on religion, ethnicity, ideologies, language, and even IQ levels. But yet they don't have any of the characteristics that we associate with utopias.

People with Asperger's (and other autism spectrum disorders) are hugely diverse in all those respects. I don't see how an Aspie city would be any different than an NT one, other than the inhabitants probably having even more apathy toward the community than usual.

Pseudonymous
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Jun 2010, 3:11 am

"...a community where aspies just gather together?"

I found that funny. I'm not sure how much togetherness we'd see. Socializing with other aspies might be easier, it's hard to imagine since I've only met two others. Though I did get along well with both.

I envisioned an isolated community when I read the topic message. It sounds like a fascinating experiment.

I think the city planning and infrastructure could be the envy of the world.
Street signs might be placed in the sidewalks as well as on posts, for those who hate looking up!
Buses would always run on time.
The sheriff's job would be easy, except for the occasional bit of well-intentioned public nudity (DaWalker!) or dispute over special interests.
Going by the statistics though, we would have a critical shortage of women. The population may not be sustainable in isolation.

sillycat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jun 2010, 4:38 am

I already live in an Aspie colony though... It's called Suburbia. Suburbs are full of "little geniuses" who tend to keep to themselves, or only a small circle of kin, are obsessed and focused on their own little plot It's like each yard is it's own self contained ecosystem. Some neighbors dont' acknowledge each other and add their own unique little world to the whole. that is the neighborhood, attracting even more Autistic aliens from other home worlds. Very seldom do many residents come out at all, the streets are deserted. (which is most disconcerting for there are playgrounds full of individual children, who could easily be kidnapped by ill willed invaders of our Aspie sancuary and nobody would even notice. Well I'm sure someone would, but cemeteries have more action, because people visit, exercise, or maintain the santium. However, oddly though, Sundays, seem to be buzz with these activities, golfers golfing, joggers jogging, walking the dog, church goers. but during the week, you can hear the tumble weeds rustle past.

EmilieGalotti
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Jun 2010, 4:44 am

I more or less grew up in an Aspie community. My mother has a lot of autistic traits and my siblings all probably have some mild form of autism too. I tend to have friends with Aspie traits as well. and I was in a "gifted program".

ProfessorX
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2010, 11:10 am

I would not mind living in an Aspie community for, I would find it quite an entertaining thought.Actually, there are 2 people in my apartment complex along with myself whom are aspes though, we hardly get along with one another still, I would consider the thought though...

pyzzazzyZyzzyva
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Jun 2010, 11:20 am

jc6chan wrote:
spooky13 wrote:
So there'd be a community of people that would never look each other in the eye or never talk one on one because of fear of starting a conversation? 8O

"Hey"
"Hey"
"How's it going"
"Fine, you?"
"Good"
**AWKWARD SILENCE...**
"bye"

If you think that the weather is nice out, then by all means comment. If you know that we both like sports, then by all means, comment on the latest game. But if there isn't any meaning that needs to be communicated, then I don't see how this snippet is bad. If we share an interest, I'm sure we would have a longer conversation.

And I think many of my conversations go like this anyway when there isn't anything substantive we need to talk about.

pyzzazzyZyzzyva
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Jun 2010, 11:33 am

Pseudonymous wrote:
"...a community where aspies just gather together?"

I found that funny. I'm not sure how much togetherness we'd see. Socializing with other aspies might be easier, it's hard to imagine since I've only met two others. Though I did get along well with both.

I envisioned an isolated community when I read the topic message. It sounds like a fascinating experiment.

I think the city planning and infrastructure could be the envy of the world.
Street signs might be placed in the sidewalks as well as on posts, for those who hate looking up!
Buses would always run on time.
The sheriff's job would be easy, except for the occasional bit of well-intentioned public nudity (DaWalker!) or dispute over special interests.
Going by the statistics though, we would have a critical shortage of women. The population may not be sustainable in isolation.

jc6chan has already indicated that the aspie community that he envisioned would be in the city or suburbs-- not isolated. Thus, the population would not need to be sustainable in isolation.

This is what Alexa has to say: Based on internet averages, wrongplanet.net is visited more frequently by females who are in the age range 18-24, have no college education and browse this site from home. Given this, I would say that there is not a shortage of females.

Kiley
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2010, 11:44 am

I feel like I do. I've got two Aspie sons, a husband with ADHD and Dyslexia, a third son who is not NT but defies labeling, and then there's me with my quirks and ADHD.

I don't think that an all Aspie community would be best for everybody. I think a group home for Aspies could be helpful for some people. I'd hate to see all Aspies sequestered away as I feel that the world would loose out, and the Aspies would loose out. I think the best kinds of communities have a wide variety of people with all kinds of strengths and weaknesses. Together we make a much better whole. However there are people who tend to keep to themselves for whatever reasons and for them having an Aspie retreat could be really helpful. I'd just hate to see that become the norm.

That's just my opinion, People should be free to decide where, with whom, and how they want to live. I wouldn't try to stop anybody from choosing that route.

EmilieGalotti
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Jun 2010, 11:56 am

jc6chan wrote:
spooky13 wrote:

"Hey"
"Hey"
"How's it going"
"Fine, you?"
"Good"
**AWKWARD SILENCE...**
"bye"

Haha! Have you heard of the lesbian sheep problem? No? I'll tell you.

People wanting to breed sheep have done some research into the incidence of gay male sheep, etc. since a gay sheep won't breed with a female and therefore isn't really a useful investment. So these researchers noticed that they were never seeing any lesbian sheep and so they started studying the mating habits of female sheep to try to find out why.

It turns out, when a female sheep is interested in sex, she signals this by standing very, very still.

So if you get two female sheep interested in sex with each other, they will both stand very, very still.

I feel like an all-Aspie community might be kind of analogous to this problem. :lol:

Pseudonymous

21 Jun 2010, 2:09 pm

pyzzazzyZyzzyva wrote:
Pseudonymous wrote:
"

jc6chan has already indicated that the aspie community that he envisioned would be in the city or suburbs-- not isolated. Thus, the population would not need to be sustainable in isolation.

This is what Alexa has to say: Based on internet averages, wrongplanet.net is visited more frequently by females who are in the age range 18-24, have no college education and browse this site from home. Given this, I would say that there is not a shortage of females.

Yes, having a kind of Aspietown (like Chinatown) in a city would be easier in some ways, though I think many of the more interesting qualities of the scenario are then lost. And we would still have to figure out love, dating, and marriage with NTs if we're to rely on them to shore up the numbers (which is what I think you're implying).

I'm not sure what Alexa stats have to do with it. I was referring to the gender disparity in Asperger's diagnoses. Do you mean that because women 18-24 visit this online community, they would want to live in an aspie community?