Page 2 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 Jul 2010, 9:30 am

When I was a little kid (8,10, early teens), I had all friends over 65. I related to them much better, and it's because of those "foster Uncles, Grandpas, and Dads" to me, that I have all the skills and abilities that I use today. I may never have learned to play baseball in the street with other kids, but by age 13, I was a reasonably skilled electronics hobbyist/TV repair tech. That gift was courtesy of two of my senior friends, and I also learned metal working, carpentry, plumbing, and even engine repairs from those friends. I learned to ride motorcycles when I was 12, from a young-at-heart 75-year-old World War II veteran.

Now I'm 43 but living & feeling 19, and many of my friends are half my age or less. Sadly that's because most all of my original circle of friends has passed away of old age. One of my "original friends"; an honorary Uncle, is still doing fine. However, he's also an Aspie, I think, and he now has no family left, nor any friends other than casual acquaintances. So now that he's elderly, cannot drive, and lives alone, I make a 100-mile round trip once a week to West Los Angeles, and drop off groceries, pick up stuff he sells on eBay to be packed and sent out, and I make sure he gets all his prescriptions filled, etc. My wife and I don't have kids, and we aren't planning any (at least at this point in time).... So this affords me the ability to keep "adopted senior family" in good standing. Maybe it's my place in the world :wink: My younger friends don't understand why I do that for "Uncle Harold", but they damn well better accept it.

Charles

Whatsherhame
Toucan
Toucan

02 Jul 2010, 9:39 am

When I was younger the only friends I had were college kids and older teenagers who mistook me for one of them, and little kids who also thought I was just a bigger version of them.

Yeah, I'd say I have some very scattered development. I never took an offocial test, though. I suspect my mental/emotional age could qualify as older, younger and the same age all at once. 8O

Woodfish
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jul 2010, 9:45 am

I think I often think of myself as a foetus (fetus).

If we concentrate on accepting ourselves, change will happen. It will take care of itself. Self-acceptance is so hard to get you can't do it a day at a time. I've found that I need to run my life five minutes at a time. --Jess Lair

rmctagg09
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Jul 2010, 11:12 am

I apparently have the mental age of a 32 year old. Makes sense.

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2010, 11:43 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I feel that I'm a 16 year old of the 60s, and I'm making up, for my lost adolescence, that I've never had.

Yes I can relate-in my 40's and emotionally a 17 year old still. I feel a lot of things I missed out on when 17 because I had no idea about AS at that time-lots of stuff missed out on.

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2010, 12:42 pm

My emotional age is around 12 or 13. I am in that top half percent of people mentally, so i guess I am normal age there.

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2010, 3:42 pm

I've read in more than one place that people with ASD's are generally 1/3-2/3 of their chronological age. I don't know the source of the quote but I've seen it in many places.

I'm sometimes like in my 20's and sometimes even teens, and I'm in my early 40's.

http://www.youtube.com/user/whitetigerdream

Don't take life so seriously. It isn't permanent!

Ruchard
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jul 2010, 4:05 pm

I get along better with older people and i get along with people that are younger than I am. I don't know anybody my own age.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2010, 5:13 pm

I have a high mental age, so I get on well with older people. But a very low emotional age which means I also get on well with younger people.

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2010, 5:58 pm

I don't know my Emotional Age, but I do get along better with adults than my peers. Both in my childhood and now, back then kids my age had lame intrests.

Taupey
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2010, 9:03 pm

whitetiger wrote:
I've read in more than one place that people with ASD's are generally 1/3-2/3 of their chronological age. I don't know the source of the quote but I've seen it in many places.

I'm sometimes like in my 20's and sometimes even teens, and I'm in my early 40's.

hmmm... Interesting. This is weird, when I was a child, I would go visit the older/elderly neighbors and help them with gardening or dusting. I learned all sorts of things from them. And I loved to look at pictures (the older the better) and listen to their stories about their families and what it was like to live in earlier times. One older neighbor, Mac, came over and helped me plant a garden when I was 5 years. I have been a gardner ever since. ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~Most of the time I either played alone, was with my great granny or went visiting the older people. But at the same time, I've always had a very young heart. I don't feel that I'm 15 years. But sometimes I look at people my age and I get the impression that they are older than me and a lot of them look older than me as well. Too bad for them. :D Here all this time, I thought it was all part of my own unique strangeness. :flower:

BTW I love your avatar. :heart:

-- Taupey ;)

sillycat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Jul 2010, 10:22 pm

I'm still in Chrysalist cocoon mode. Or Zerg egg mode (just like Sarah Kerrigan). Before I burst out of this slimy goo Placenta goo thing, and wreak havoc on the humans and protoss with my psyonic storms.

Or I'm in my leave me alone and let me progress at my own pace mode (which has managed to yeild some significant triumphs but a whole lot more screw ups). I figure if there's anything to this whole humanity evolution thing, just pass off my mutant genes to the next generation, and continue to make small strides to progress (volunteering). I figure become a constructor, a grungy engineer. I enjoy getting into the thick of things. I figure since I'm from the killing fields of Deadmonton (a Necropolis engaged in a 30 year gang war) I've already made significant strides to humanity. I'm content. I can do and will do more of course. But I'm content. It's not everyday you can change the destiny of another person who's dying of cancer, then you give your bone marrow out your butt (hip).

I'm a work in progress. I'm sure when I'm dead on some etherical plane I'm still working on stuff.

GiantYeti
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Jul 2010, 11:14 pm

18. Comforting to know other people experience this too. Is there a good way to "make up for it"?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

02 Jul 2010, 11:18 pm

When I was a kid; I did NOT get along well with adults or other children. I'm a 27year-old guy & I find that in some ways I can get along well with older adults because they are more set in their ways & not into things like partying but in lots of ways I find I get along better with teens. I have some immature interest & I'm fairly dependent. In some ways I feel I have the maturity level of a 13year-old girl :o

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2010, 2:04 am

My mom consistently tells me that I'm around 14 or 15 emotionally. That makes sense, because I get along well with my brother and his friends, who are close to that age group. I also get along well with women who are in their mid twenties and older, which I theorize is because my childlike qualities (and appearance) probably appeal to their motherly instincts.

seaside
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Jul 2010, 4:18 am

Very much so in most ways. (In other ways, I've been rated by friends as unusually wise.) Everyone thinks I'm much younger, and those who know my chronological age still say I seem far from it.