Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Tyrant-Dragon
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Aug 2010, 6:50 am

So, I was diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome in September 09, after years of being...tormented...at school. I've had some huge anger issues since I was about 10, and I've also had a lot of problems socially aswell. Both these things lead to my diagnosis. I've been really doubtful about it though, and I often find that I'm not quite the same as other Aspies. Firstly, I do very much enjoy social situations, as much as any NT would. It's just I have trouble making friends due to the fact that I have a... honestly terrible reputation at my school, and I sometimes get a bit anxious and paranoid when around new people. Other Aspies seem to hate social situations though, and not want anything to do with them at all. Secondly, I don't do a lot of the weird things that other people on the autistic spectrum would do. My problems are entirely based on my social skills and my short temper.

And lastly, every test I've taken on this has described me as being NT. I'm wondering if I don't really have Aspergers at all, or if it's just an extremely mild case of it. Maybe I have a completely different condition. Anyway, here's my results from the Aspie test, which were a huge shock for me:

Your Aspie score: 44 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 154 of 200
You are very likely neurotypical

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2010, 7:45 am

It's a stupid online test.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2010, 7:56 am

Ferdinand wrote:
It's a stupid online test.

I don't know why the OP got those results but all online tests are not the same. rdos put quite a lot of research into that test.
Here is his blog.
http://www.rdos.net/eng/

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2010, 8:33 am

It is possible for an aspie to like social situations. It's also possible your diagnosis was wrong. If you think it's wrong, I'd suggest, question it and/or get a 2nd opinion.

SmallFruitSong
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Aug 2010, 8:53 am

ASD is a spectrum issue and not everyone fits in the same mold. The stereotype of a person with ASD is of a person who does not enjoy social situations and avoids them, but there are plenty of socially-motivated people on the spectrum as well. The concept of "social impairment" is more about having issues with interacting with others [not so much about enjoying/not enjoying social situations], and perhaps you have issues with social cues, body language, reciprocity, etc.

From my experience of online tests, most of them tend to focus on the belief that having ASD = lack of interest in social situations. The RDOS quiz is very comprehensive but IMO also leans towards the above belief. However, in reality, not all people on the spectrum are like that.

If you're not entirely sure about the DX, then it's a good idea to discuss this with your doctor/clinician and see if they can explain their rationale for the DX.

Kiss me to the core."

Think you're ASD? Get thee to a professional!

Exclavius
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2010, 10:32 am

Have you ever had someone you know well take one of the tests and answer "FOR YOU"?
You might see different results. Many of the things that aspies do, they do unconsciously.

3 or 4 years ago when my probation officer first suggested I research Asperger's, I did a quick bit of research, laughed and forgot it. It wasn't until my son was born that I really seriously looked into it again, having remembered mainly only that there was a large genetic aspect to it.

That 3 years difference changed my perspective on a lot of the questions one needs to ask of themselves. Of course during that time, I had done a lot of self examination, introspection, and soul-searching.

Now, I'm not saying you HAVE Asperger's and your therapist could simply have used the DSM for diagnosis. The problem is that real Asperger's essentially cannot be acquired, it is something you're born with. There are a LOT of psychological and even neurological issues that can lead to having enough symptoms to meet the DSM.

Borderline Personality Disorder is one that pops to mind.

As for the way you answer questions on those tests...
Do you answer how you feel, or how you WANT to feel or think you should feel.
for example.. I want to be social, I love being social and around people, I've spent my life being told that being social is good and right, but being social doesn't like me. I don't like what it does to me, and I have a serious difficulty with it. That doesn't make me want it less mind you, it doesn't make me avoid it, but it makes me be cautious, as I need to be.

Many of us, especially before we begin to understand Asperger's, have a hard time differentiating between how we feel and how we want to feel, because we've spent our lives trying to live and think the way that we've been told that we should live and think by NTs.
We've created personae for coping and fitting in. Those personae have become so ingrained in our brains that we think of them as the real us. If you do have Asperger's, then I am pretty sure that this is the issue with you. And if you do, then for your own sake you need to look deeply and see if there is a real you hiding underneath all those facades, false personae and masks, only by finding and accepting the real you will you ever be able to find any level of happiness.

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2010, 1:31 pm

Tyrant-Dragon wrote:
Anyway, here's my results from the Aspie test, which were a huge shock for me:

That test is not scientifically validated, has not been correlated with diagnosis and there are absolutely no publications using it.

There are some real AS screening tests in the sticky at the top of the forum, and the Baron-Cohen AQ is one example of a good screening test. But remember that screening tests are not diagnosis - a screening score over a certain threshold is an indication of AS, not a determination. Adults with AS are also particularly problematic because they may have learned coping skills that mask the exact AS traits that a screening test attempts to measure.

Presumably you have received the diagnosis because of issues that the clinician assessed, and if the diagnosis is helping you with those issues then it is not worth stressing over. If the diagnosis is not helping and you have issues in life that are difficult and not explained by AS, then you should go back and question the diagnosis.