Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 5:45 am

I am still digesting it....

When will they make the movie about the chaotic impulsive unscientific right-brained Aspie???

There were parts where I really found myself relating....but I have gotten to worrying about how the movie will compel some people to think that all Aspies are like Adam...

I have all the troubles with literal thinking and theory of mind and eye contact and meltdowns....but I am obsessed with toys and singing... :?

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 5:48 am

Everyone has different obsessions, just be happy they didn't make Adam's maths.

What do you think of the end? I worry it gives the wrong impression to an NT audience.

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 5:49 am

i still haven't seen it :?
i don't know where to look for it...

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 5:53 am

Seanmw wrote:
i still haven't seen it :?
i don't know where to look for it...

DVD shop or internet.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 6:29 am

The only part I relate to, is Adam's ramblings about his special interests. But I'm nothing like him otherwise, I was kind of dissapointed it was the same old aspie stereotype they use in every film. I'd like to see a right brained aspie too, since I'm one, I relate a lot more with Isabelle in Mozart and the whale.

capriwim
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Aug 2010, 8:39 am

I didn't relate a great deal to Adam - there were some parts that I could relate to, but as a whole, he was not like me. I related a lot more to the autistic character played by Sigourney Weaver in Snow Cake. But of course there were lots of differences between her and me too. I just hope more and more movies are made about different people on the spectrum, so that people lose the idea that all autistic people are like Rain Man, and realise we're as varied as NTs are! After all, NTs don't watch movies expecting to totally relate to a character just because the character is NT.

SmallFruitSong
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Aug 2010, 9:51 am

I thought the story was average and would've been another forgettable romance film if it wasn't for Adam having Asperger's.

I thought Adam's portrayal was good in the sense that he wasn't Rainman, which is a good start :P

Personally I related to bits and pieces of him, but since [as mentioned] ASD is such a spectrum, no-one's going to 100% relate to one character just on the basis of a DX.

Kiss me to the core."

Think you're ASD? Get thee to a professional!

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 12:48 pm

My business partner's girlfriend just bought it, but I don't think she has seen it.... I think I have discussed with her that I am spectrumy..I am about 97% sure she knows...I just don't want her getting ideas that I really am not just because I am not like Adam..

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 1:03 pm

not that it really matters....
But I def. believe that a broader range of different types of people on the autistic spectrum should be represented in movies....if they are gonna bother with mentioning autism at all..

Anyone ever see the movie "Fish Don't Blink"..I am a bit more like the girl in that movie...the A word was not mentioned...her character was a fairly high-functioning, albiet childlike adult who had very acute hearing..and even though she seemed like she pretty much had her act together, there was talk of putting her in a home... :roll: Not a good example, by any means of a movie with someone on the spectrum...but ah...I forget my point....

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 2:12 pm

I think he's a bit stereotypical; I've not met any Aspie who's like him. I'd prefer a more realistic depiction; he's more like a walking DSM than a character who happens to have Asperger's. I wish producers and writers would remember that when they write about characters with mental/neurological disabilities--that they can't start with the disability; they've got to make a real character, and then decide how that disability affects them and their personality and outlook. You can't just have a character's entire gimmick be that he's got some diagnosis or other. (Exceptions can be made for very minor characters who appear in crowd scenes at mental hospitals, and such... But never, never a major or supporting character.)

Disclaimer: Have only seen clips.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 2:27 pm

Meh. I think normal people like stereotypes though.

I liked the character in the movie Ben X the most.

fleche
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Aug 2010, 4:14 pm

My wife rented it for us the weekend after I came to the conclusion that I am an aspie (about a month ago). I've never experienced such catharsis watching a movie before. I felt like it could have been my story if I had been raised without women in my life. Having been raised mainly by my mother, and with two sisters eager to critique my social interactions I wasn't nearly as stunted socially. But I felt like every scene in the movie had personal significance and it was wonderful to see all these things I thought of as my own personal quirks or failings shown together in an empathetic and optimistic light.

I loved the ending and thought it much improved over the original.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 4:47 pm

Do I remind you guys of Adam, or am different from him? He's really crazy about astronomy, and I'm really crazy about British Rock. 8)

Sionis
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Aug 2010, 6:05 pm

Adam was probably a more realistic take on Asperger's. But don't worry about everyone assuming all Aspies are like Adam; almost no one has even heard of the movie.

Francis
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 6:19 pm

I saw the first half of the movie and then shut it off. I thought it was kind of boring. It could be because I didn't associate with the character at all. He seemed to live a rather sheltered life.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 6:50 pm

I want to see Adam.