sensitive eyes, sunglasses, and school dress code...

Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

bandgeek13094
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Aug 2010, 5:08 pm

ImMelody wrote:
If you don't have an IEP, you should talk to you Dr and parents about doing a 504 plan. This will legally bind them to allowing you to wear your sunglasses. I wish my brother and I had known about this when we were in school because the sun can be brutal. I'm already expecting to have to do it with my oldest too.

BTW, the blue-eye cataracts thing is accurate. My mother is blue eyed and I take her to the eye doctor and they always tell her she's more likely because of her eye color.

What is IEP and 504? Like, I've heard about them, but I don't know what they are exactly or anything.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 5:56 pm

Hand doctor's notes to your principal and all of your teachers, explaining to them, that you must be allowed to wear your sunglasses, because bright lights, and sunlight hurts your eyes.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 5:15 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
Hand doctor's notes to your principal and all of your teachers, explaining to them, that you must be allowed to wear your sunglasses, because bright lights, and sunlight hurts your eyes.

Worth a shot, I would have thought.

It's fascinating how so many school authorities take it as read that a compulsory dress code is a Good Thing, in spite of the fact that there is (so far) no hard evidence one way or the other. :? I think they're basically just possessive. What else do you call it when somebody wants to control you like that? Can you dictate what the school governors wear? I fancy not.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

06 Aug 2010, 8:43 am

I will have to do some reading on this... I have the problem with sensitivity to sudden changes in light (get dazzled, and get a headache when going from dark to light without sun glasses). I never thought to wonder if it's an autism issue too! I don't remember any rules about sun glasses in school, but that was in the 1970s and 80s, other than the druggies were known to always wear dark glasses. I wouldn't be surprised if new rules might be something to do with the nut cases who attacked Columbine HS? I think they were wearing all black, and had black sun glasses.

DEFINITELY get a doctor's note, and if you have to threaten the school with an ACLU complaint/lawsuit, it might be a good cause.

Charles
*note that I am generally 100% opposed to lawsuits, but there are exceptions, including forcing someone to be uncomfortable physically for political correctness.

capriwim
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Aug 2010, 8:52 am

You can get a diagnosis for scotopic sensitivity syndrome, if this is what you have (it's quite common in Aspergers) and then you can get Irlen lenses. They are tinted lenses, with a colour specifically selected to suit your particular needs. They are better than sunglasses, and because they are specfically for people with this condition, you can't be stopped from wearing them, because they are actually diagnosed, rather than a pair of sunglasses which anyone can buy. Although, really, you shouldn't be stopped from wearing sunglasses either, provided you have a note from your doctor or psychologist.

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 10:38 am

capriwim wrote:
You can get a diagnosis for scotopic sensitivity syndrome, if this is what you have (it's quite common in Aspergers)

interesting thanks

(& i like your picture thing)

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 11:00 am

You could probably get a note from your doctor. Photophobia is not at all uncommon among autistics; and if you will see better if you wear sunglasses, then getting a note from a doctor that you should be allowed to wear them should not be a big ordeal.

Be sure to wear the rest of the uniform in a strictly-regulation fashion, so that they know you your intention is not to sidestep the dress code.

I think that schools with dress codes should allow sunglasses outdoors. Even for people without sensitivity, wearing them prevents UV-related degeneration of sight as one ages.

Quote:
What is IEP and 504? Like, I've heard about them, but I don't know what they are exactly or anything.
They refer to a plan that a school draws up to describe the accommodations needed by students with disabilities. IEP is short for "individualized education plan". They can be quite simple or very complex; for example, a very simple IEP might give a child with dysgraphia permission to type rather than hand-write all essays and papers. Sunglasses wouldn't normally require an IEP because most schools don't prohibit them; but in your case, getting an IEP might be a valid approach. But try the doctor's note first; it seems the easiest method. An IEP requires that your doctor certify your disability; a simple doctor's note is much easier to get.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

bandgeek13094
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Aug 2010, 11:13 am

ok. thank you. :)

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 11:32 am

What everyone else said - get a note from your doctor.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

06 Aug 2010, 3:29 pm

capriwim wrote:
You can get a diagnosis for scotopic sensitivity syndrome, if this is what you have (it's quite common in Aspergers) and then you can get Irlen lenses.

I just looked that up on Wiki. Interesting, and explains a lot about some of my issues. For instance, I will be looking for something on my desk, and not see it. If I look away, and then look back, it will "magically" appear. BTW, did you draw your avatar? It's really cool looking!

capriwim
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Aug 2010, 4:39 pm

hartzofspace wrote:
BTW, did you draw your avatar? It's really cool looking!

Thanks. :) Yes, I drew it - although that was before I got Irlen lenses, or I'd have coloured my glasses in turquoise on the picture!

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 7:35 pm

I'm homeschooled and am going to look into getting Irlen lenses sometime soon. If the college and vet school won't let me use them, I am going to take them to the supreme court. Does your school refuse to let students with ashma use inhalers or those with hearing imparments no hearing aid. I wouldn't be surprized. You should have your doctor write a letter explaning how painful sunlight can be to you and that you have a legemite medical reason for sunglasses. If they still refuse to let you, you could sue.

bandgeek13094
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Aug 2010, 7:52 am

ok. thank you. :) Well..I got a note written, but all he said that it was not normal to have eyes that are sensitive to sunlight and to have to wear sunglasses outside and made a big deal about writing me a note because he said that other people would come in then.... :? Oh well, I guess you can't really expect much from going to Walmart...

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

10 Aug 2010, 12:20 pm

bandgeek13094 wrote:
ok. thank you. :) Well..I got a note written, but all he said that it was not normal to have eyes that are sensitive to sunlight and to have to wear sunglasses outside and made a big deal about writing me a note because he said that other people would come in then.... :? Oh well, I guess you can't really expect much from going to Walmart...

What a dweeb! I HATE it when people start that crap about what "other people" will do. What does that doc expect - that about 20 people will show up wanting a note about wearing shades indoors, and all at the same time? :roll:

Anyway, I am glad you got your note. I hope this makes things easier for you at school!

Whisper
Toucan
Toucan

10 Aug 2010, 2:54 pm

bandgeek13094 wrote:
ok. thank you. :) Well..I got a note written, but all he said that it was not normal to have eyes that are sensitive to sunlight

F*.. What a complete and utter arsecake. Of course it's not normal. That's why you went to see him in the first place. God, some people.

Quote:
..and to have to wear sunglasses outside and made a big deal about writing me a note because he said that other people would come in then.... :? Oh well, I guess you can't really expect much from going to Walmart...

The important thing in the end is that you got the note.