Do you have other relatives with aspies apart from you?

Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

SamuraiSaxen
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2006, 2:24 am

My inmediately family:
*Dad: He has ADHD, but he don't want to accept it
*Mom, my two sisters and my brother: NT

I have a cousin (from my dad's side), he's 5 years old, and I thought he had ADHD, because of his traits. One day, my grandmother said me "when your father was 5 years, he was so hyperactive, he was like Charlie (my cousin)". My dad was here and he said that wasn't true, but I believe my grandma's words

I think my grandmother (from my mom's side) is aspie, because she has some characteristis very similar to my aspie traits.

lemon
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2006, 6:06 am

my father i guess, the only thing he ever does is something from morning till evening day after day (like painting a few years ago) this year it is the role playing game 'oblivion'. apart from his sons and his ex-wife he doesn't see anyone. i haven't heard of him since one or two years.

paulsinnerchild
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2006, 8:57 pm

My dad although he was a good businessman and real estate agent, he was often in the habit of sidetracking in conversation to subjects that seemed totally irrelevant. Like one minute the subject was the town water supply connection to houses, then before the client or vendor knew it he suddenly side tracks to just water in general to water on the road to car accidents to finally to insurance accident claims; all within the space of half a minute. He achieves such syntactic acrobatics by speaking extremely quickly.
He would even yack on for hours about issues the vendors or clients were not the least bit interested in and they could not get a word in edge ways.

Also if he loses his temper he would do that most bizarre acts like laying in his back kicking like a two year old screeming at the top of his lungs. Or wacking himself on the head with kitchen pans.

superfantastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2006, 9:18 pm

My dad probably, but he doesn't know it (never told him about AS). He doesn't have very noticeable social problems, but I can tell because:
-he can't hear you over running water or other noise
-he can never take hints from my mom
-he loves being early
-it'd make sense if I got it from him.

DrowningMedusa
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2006, 9:28 pm

My cousin has some SERIOUS ADHD... he's a young adult and living in a home now because his parents couldn't handle him... :?

JDM
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Oct 2006, 9:44 pm

I have a strong suspsicion that my maternal grandfather may be an aspie, or is at least on the spectrum. My cousin has severe autism, so it appears to run in the family.

Juggernaut
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2006, 10:55 pm

There are nine children in my family and I am the only one with it.

Catster
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Oct 2006, 3:13 am

My father (undiagnosed) and grandfather (never diagnosed) almost certainlly have Asperger's. It is genetic afterall and my dad has no idea about tact, letting things go etc.

Scintillate
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2006, 5:01 am

I have very strong suspicians about my dad, I have the feeling he's repressed the way he is inside for so many years that the aspergers traits come out in different ways.

For example obsessive tendencies that would have went into a particular interest now go into checking locks, cleaning almost indefinately, and worry about my mum.

Also my entire life I've noticed he has problems with talking to people, but he always blames it on everyone but himself!

There are some others that I can't quite articulate right now.

I know he will not see a doctor, but I'm pretty sure I'll get the diagnosis so that means I defiantely got it from him.

paulsinnerchild
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2006, 7:00 pm

An auntie also probably had autism and a daughter of a 1st cousin on my father's side has extremely severe epilepsy and needs life long care.
There is also a lot bi-polar disorder in the family on my father's side as well as some siblings.

parts
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2006, 8:21 pm

Oh Yeah a whole bunch undiagnosised and in denial types though. I thought everybody was like this till I got older when my son was diagnosed I found it had a name

mysteriouslyabsent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Oct 2006, 3:30 pm

I can think of quite a few members of my family and extended family and even those from the past who I've only heard about but are potentially on the spectrum in one way or another.

gsilver
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2006, 4:57 pm

My siblings, father, and uncles all show a lot of aspergers traits.

One uncle is diagnosed with aspergers and is even more severly affected than I am.

Chidori
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Oct 2006, 5:12 pm

No.