I am 23 years old and I have the face of a 17-19 year old.

Page 5 of 6 [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2010, 11:22 am

Keep it up for the next sixty years.

ruveyn

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2010, 11:23 am

Esther wrote:
Looking young will serve you well in the long run. I wish I had that problem. :D

Have you ever read -The Picture of Dorian Grey-?

ruveyn

b9
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2010, 11:52 am

ruveyn wrote:
Keep it up for the next sixty years.

ruveyn

you are rather funny in a strange way

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2010, 5:59 pm

ApsieGuy wrote:
I am wondering if this is somehow attributed to autism(yes autistic). Anyway, I find it VERY VERY VERY frustrating as no one will take me seriously.

I was born abnormally large, have many autistic tendencies, and was the size of a small man by the end of primary school. By grammar school, older kids asked me to pick things up for them, because I wouldn't get carded. By the end of highschool, I was going bald.

I never assumed that a young person should not be taken seriously, because of his age, and have found that only unreliable people resort to pulling rank, against those who are attentive.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

26 Nov 2010, 3:01 am

I am 33 and look like I am in my early 20's and some days cashiers will ask me what grade I am in...and are utterly shocked when I tell them I am in my early 30's
My sister who is 3/4 of a decade younger than me, looks older than me.
The best one was when I was 19 and mom told the lady at shoney's that I was 12 so I could eat free...the lady believed her. I said to mom, "You are sacerficing my dignity for a meal"
ohh well.

lissy983
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Nov 2010, 3:11 am

I am 27 and i still get people saying they thought i was 16. It doesn't help that i am either acting meek and soft spoken or like a naively inquisitive child.

Mumofsweetautiegirl
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Nov 2010, 3:15 am

Quote:
I think the person that mentioned if we don't use our facial expressions that much, not smiling or frowning (or smoking or sunbathing) but when at rest have that 'flat' thing going on, we just don't wrinkle all that much

I agree with this. As a NT, I can confirm that aspies do use fewer facial expressions- the aspies I know do, anyway. The face is quite static and doesn't crinkle as much, even when smiling.

My brother (who I believe is an undiagnosed aspie) has always looked much younger than he is. He is 28 but looks maybe 20, max. He once went to the doctor to try and find out why he didn't look his age and to see if there was a cure. lol. The doctor told him he needed a better diet, and more exercise (to build up muscle mass because he is lanky). I can't say whether the advice worked because my brother didn't bother to try it!

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

26 Nov 2010, 3:34 am

My age and what I look like is so far apart that when I tell people, they look at me like a freak.
Most of the time my face is rather static but sometimes I show expression. But I dont smoke, sunbathe, and on top of having the mystery aspie fountain of youth, I also had a grandmother who looked to be 10 years younger than she was.

but the look people give me makes me not want to give out my age. I dont think I would go to the doctor though...I dont like going to doctors.

TheBicyclingGuitarist
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2010, 9:48 am

I am fifty years old now, but I've always looked younger than my age according to what I hear from other people. When I look in the mirror this past year though it seems as if I have aged a lot suddenly in a short time. The past few years have been especially stressful and spirit crushing, which may have something to do with it.

As for judging the age of other people, I really suck at that. If they're very young or very old I can at least get that much, but if they're anywhere in between I have a hard time deciding what decade they're in. As others have pointed out though, lifestyle does play a big part in one's appearance. In the local public health department they have a poster on the wall showing young people before and after they started using hard drugs like meth and crack. That makes a big difference even faster than smoking or sunlight.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2010, 1:28 pm

I think when you get older other people will envy you for looking younger than you really are.

sourus
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Nov 2010, 3:44 pm

<< Thats me! 34 year old babyface. I found a solution to being taken seriosly. Basically if I go to work everyday in casual dress, like blue jeans and transformers t shirt, people treat me like..well you know. I started wearing dress shirts to work and basically dressed to outclass everyone else, and it works. I dress like I'm more important so people treat me like I am.

caligirl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Nov 2010, 11:08 pm

Both my dad who had not seen me in several years, and my dr. both told me within 1 months time.. the same exact wording even though they do not know each other.. "you look almost like a teenager, you look so young" I am 37 years old. I am not complaining. But I do not get taken seriously by anyone really.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2010, 11:12 pm

ApsieGuy wrote:
I am wondering if this is somehow attributed to autism(yes autistic). Anyway, I find it VERY VERY VERY frustrating as no one will take me seriously.

I heard that's common for people on the spectrum. For women, it's a good thing. (Sorry, I know that doesn't help.)

Smike
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Nov 2010, 11:22 pm

I am 22 and people think I am a teenager.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2010, 3:09 pm

Well, you *are* only a couple of years reverse time away from being one... 8)

My age has been guessed as being between 14 and 19 (lower and upper guesses). I'm 16.5 (birthday is May 28th) at the moment, so they're somewhat accurate. That I have middling length hair which I straighten, and hate facial hair (I always shave it off whenever I can feel it...) possible has something to do with it - I'm quite Bishie.

However, my friend, who also has Aspergers, pretty much finished puberty a year or two back (he's just a bit younger than me by a few months). He could quite easily pass as being in his 20's.

It'll be quite good if I remain static when it comes to ageing once I reach my 20's - I want to push out my lifespan to the limit (not afraid to die, but I want to explore the solar system and command a starship...), and ideally not show my age when I'm 100 years old...

DigitalDesperado
Raven
Raven

27 Nov 2010, 5:27 pm

Looking younger than your age seems to be a common AS trait. It maybe disconcerting for a young person, but is welcomed for those of us that are a bit older.