Page 5 of 5 [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

capriwim
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Jun 2010, 6:34 am

I think we live in a society where feeling entitled is the new norm. Nothing to do with being Aspie or otherwise.

However, our society is more disability-conscious now, which I think is a good thing. I don't expect NTs to 'bend, twist and distort' for me - but equally, I don't expect to have to bend, twist and distort for them, which is what was expected of me for a very long time. A bit of mutual understanding and respect goes a long way.

For people in wheelchairs, society has recognised the need for accessibility, and so laws have been put in place to ensure public buildings have ramps and lifts, etc., so that people in wheelchairs are not prevented from accessing them.

With hidden disabilities like Aspergers, it's a bit more difficult to define accessibility, and society has taken longer to recognise the need. I almost had to quit my college course because my difficulties with organisation, fluorescent lights and understanding ambiguous instructions were seen as my problem for me to solve alone, and so I was getting no support and was totally overwhelmed. Despite the tremendous fatigue I was getting from processing overload, I was not allowed to switch to part time studying when I asked if I could do this. When I got a diagnosis of Aspergers, I was able to access support and can continue my studies, part time and with support for organisation difficulties. The lecturers make small adjustments for me, which make a huge positive difference to me. I don't see this as me 'feeling entitled', but more a question of respecting people's differences, and not restricting access to something simply because a person has different needs.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2010, 11:23 am

MindBlind wrote:
KoS wrote:
What's with that? Why do so many people with Asperger's feel entitled? Like the world owes them something, or that Neurotypical society should bend, twist and distort to accomodate them...

Not having a go, just geniunely curious as I'm dealing with this issue at home right now.

You mean like when people with aspergers recognise that society doesn't accomodate for the disabled properly? I don't understand why people have this weird idea that providing things that people need is somehow too much for society to do. I mean, while you're at it, why not criticise wheelchair bound people for wanting a ramp or a lift on a building or a vlind person for wanting braille on a cereal box?

No offense, but you sound like kind of person who is against universal healthcare. You know? The type that go " Why should my money potentially pay for fat people and smokers and drug addicts!? If they die, that's their problem!".

This is society's problem and therefore they need to deal with it! A good and moral society cares for it's people. It doesn't leave it to rot in an institution.

Sorry, but I'm very passionate about this.

I feel this way as well. People like this deeply disturb me, especially right wingers who claim to be moral Christians and at the same time espause social darwinist political beliefs. The hypocracy enrages me.

I don't think KoS is one of those people though. She's legitimately frustrated with her sister's behavior problems and apparently wants to vent. I just don't know why she had to write such an inflamatory topic opener. I don't know if she realizes that there are older aspies here who were never diagnosed and had ZERO accomodations as children and are still suffering from the consequences and trauma of it. I think she'd get better responses in the "parents' discussion" forum since she's effectively a guardian / carer for her sister.

Faidin
Raven
Raven

26 Dec 2010, 1:09 pm

"I don't know if she realizes that there are older aspies here who were never diagnosed and had ZERO accomodations as children and are still suffering from the consequences and trauma of it."

I'm one of these people - and I go from suicidal to homicidal emotions every few months. I'm 30 years old, treated like s**t where I work, and have very few options available to me that seem to help. My therapy sessions are a joke / waste of time, so to summarize I have very little patience for NT individuals that don't treat me well.

To be honest, I scare the s**t out of them.

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2010, 1:33 pm

hale_bopp wrote:
Those sort of aspies are the same as old people thinking the world owes them something, and deadbeats thinking the government owes them money, and are usually bitter and concieted. There have been many coming and going through WP, and they are all miserable.

I don't know what's "with" it, but it's using the diagnosis as an excuse because they're too weak minded to take responsibility for themselves.

Yeah, I have explained things I do because of aspergers, but i've never ever thought i'm OWED anything. I think i'm owed the same respect as normal people, if I give it, if that's asking for too much.
Exactly. And it just shows when people are holding the fact that the OP is NT against him or her. A victim mentality is a victim mentality, it doesn't matter whether an NT or a person with AS calls you out on it.

@ Todesking: Yeah I believe in the "Teach a man how to fish" approach rather than giving a man a fish every day. I know for a fact that there are social skills coaches, so could you possibly have em help you specifically with interviews?

JennaTheAspie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Apr 2016, 1:29 pm

I try not to associate with those types of aspies, or anyone who feels entitled for that matter.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2016, 1:37 pm

Janissy wrote:
She mainly sounds like a 13 year old who just found a group of friends she fits in with and she's going through the teenage process of forging an identity. The attitudes of 13 year olds always drive adults crazy. It's just a phase. Acting as though the mindset of a 13 year old is a predictor of the mindset of the impending adult is just an exercise in futility. She is with friends. That's a good thing.
I'm gonna go with this. Sounds like what most kids do at that age. Just a bit altered by the condition. But I would think this is a normal response. It's a big discovery age. So much trial and error, finding new identities to 'try on' and find a fit. And, she fits in automatically in a way that is comforting.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2016, 7:20 pm

I feel entitled to the things that most people feel entitled to.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2016, 8:00 pm

I know this is an old thread and the OP is long gone. I had that same attitude as the OP's sister. I felt entitled to getting everything my way like having a clean house, not have many kids over, etc. but I was 16 when I went through it. Also at age 13 I was trying to be like the other kids so I was trying different personalities and I also got suspended. In a way this was all normal teen stuff.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses. Possibly OCD. Is very private about herself.

spinelli
Toucan
Toucan

30 Apr 2016, 8:05 pm

From what I see, the people on here just want a level playing field. I can't argue against that. The entitlement types don't seem to post here or at least I haven't seen any yet.