Which school years were you most isolated from your peers??

Page 5 of 10 [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next

Which school years were you most isolated from your peers??
Kindergarten-Grade 2 (Early primary years) 5%  5%  [ 9 ]
Grade 3- Grade 5 (Late primary years) 9%  9%  [ 16 ]
Grade 6- Grade 8 (Middle years) 32%  32%  [ 57 ]
Grade 9- Grade 10 (Early high years) 16%  16%  [ 28 ]
Grade 11- Grade 12 (Late high years) 16%  16%  [ 28 ]
College or University 5%  5%  [ 9 ]
I've been isolated all my life, I've never had friends 17%  17%  [ 30 ]
Total votes : 177

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2011, 8:09 pm

By early high school, I was issolated by choice.

BottleCap
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2011, 9:13 pm

Most years, but I did have a few friends for some time in primary school. I had a few as well in secondary school, but this didn't last too long. I was mostly isolated for the rest of my secondary school years, I did talk to 3 people in particular from time to time though.
When I moved school, I was lucky since this group of people accepted me. I was mostly alone still, but not being always alone at the time was good.
Currently, I go to college.... I am completely isolated there. Meh.

IvyMike
Toucan
Toucan

07 Jan 2011, 10:26 pm

Honestly, the last 2 years. It just sucked lol... i should have just stayed to myself or around some math or science geeks. Thought i was normal and it turned out badly because of my ignorance. Oh well.

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2011, 11:30 pm

I was pretty much isolated from my peers from grade 3 to the middle of grade 11 because I was mute but if I really had to chose when I was the most isolated from my peers was from grade 7 to grade 9. Those years, I talked to absolutely no one, I didnt even have acquaintances. Before then, even tho I was pretty much mute, the kids at least kinda acknowledged me, this was elementary school. By the time I got to grade 10, I had a few people who tried to talk to me, although they werent that successful and by grade 11, I finally started talking again. Id say I didnt really have friends until grade 12.

Nightsun
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2011, 1:40 am

Mostly from 8 years old to 16 years old with a peak at 12-15 y. old
University were fine, I was around mad people like me (phisics).

Corydaman93
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Jan 2011, 1:08 pm

Ai_Ling wrote:
I was pretty much isolated from my peers from grade 3 to the middle of grade 11 because I was mute but if I really had to chose when I was the most isolated from my peers was from grade 7 to grade 9. Those years, I talked to absolutely no one, I didnt even have acquaintances. Before then, even tho I was pretty much mute, the kids at least kinda acknowledged me, this was elementary school. By the time I got to grade 10, I had a few people who tried to talk to me, although they werent that successful and by grade 11, I finally started talking again. Id say I didnt really have friends until grade 12.

It's been grade 11 and 12 for me when hardly anybody has acknowledged me. All other years some people acknowledged me to at least somed degree.

http://www.myviewonautismessay.webs.com

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2011, 1:57 pm

Corydaman93 wrote:
So this Adam person kept coming in and out of your life?

Pretty much.

His locker was only three down from mine in junior high. Flashback to November 5, 1992, that afternoon during lunch at school I was sitting by myself in the bleachers in the gym (we were all inside due to bad weather outside). He was two rows up and two seats to my left. He called out my name and I turned around he motioned me to come sit next to him. I don't remember the conversation that followed, but we had a lot in common. He was NT, but kind of an outcast. His family life was very rough and he was always fighting with his step dad. He lived in the southfield townhouses which was my hometowns section 8 housing. During the intervening months I got to know him and the people he hung out with who all lived there in the townhouses.

Ironically, despite the rough nature of where he lived, I never got bullied by any of the townhouse kids, they all viewed me as more of a curiosity than anything else. I would ride my bike over there on the weekends to hang out.

Move forward to March 15, 1993, he decides he no longer wants to be my friend, I get shooed away from the table he was sitting at in the cafeteria during lunch.

May 3, 1993 - Now he's my friend again and the previous routine is back on. This goes on until December 1993. We kind of drifted apart and didn't really reconnect until the middle of 9th grade when were I had him in an english class.

September 2, 1997 - It's my senior year of high school and he's in my first hour class and we reconnect. I have internet and he dosen't. He came over one night and discovered chat rooms and pretty much didn't leave for the next six months. We're friends again, But I doubt he was using me as a means to and end as we did lots of other things beside internet. He introduces me to marijuana, but I never really took it up since I have a high tolerance for such things, he on the other hand couldn't get enough of the stuff. By 2001 we drifted apart again. I was going to college and he was working 40 miles away. The last time I talked with him was in July 2002.

Last winter just out of curiosity I looked up his name online and from I found it appears he's alive and doing well

Corydaman93
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Jan 2011, 5:02 pm

Scoots5012 wrote:
Corydaman93 wrote:
So this Adam person kept coming in and out of your life?

Pretty much.

His locker was only three down from mine in junior high. Flashback to November 5, 1992, that afternoon during lunch at school I was sitting by myself in the bleachers in the gym (we were all inside due to bad weather outside). He was two rows up and two seats to my left. He called out my name and I turned around he motioned me to come sit next to him. I don't remember the conversation that followed, but we had a lot in common. He was NT, but kind of an outcast. His family life was very rough and he was always fighting with his step dad. He lived in the southfield townhouses which was my hometowns section 8 housing. During the intervening months I got to know him and the people he hung out with who all lived there in the townhouses.

Ironically, despite the rough nature of where he lived, I never got bullied by any of the townhouse kids, they all viewed me as more of a curiosity than anything else. I would ride my bike over there on the weekends to hang out.

Move forward to March 15, 1993, he decides he no longer wants to be my friend, I get shooed away from the table he was sitting at in the cafeteria during lunch.

May 3, 1993 - Now he's my friend again and the previous routine is back on. This goes on until December 1993. We kind of drifted apart and didn't really reconnect until the middle of 9th grade when were I had him in an english class.

September 2, 1997 - It's my senior year of high school and he's in my first hour class and we reconnect. I have internet and he dosen't. He came over one night and discovered chat rooms and pretty much didn't leave for the next six months. We're friends again, But I doubt he was using me as a means to and end as we did lots of other things beside internet. He introduces me to marijuana, but I never really took it up since I have a high tolerance for such things, he on the other hand couldn't get enough of the stuff. By 2001 we drifted apart again. I was going to college and he was working 40 miles away. The last time I talked with him was in July 2002.

Last winter just out of curiosity I looked up his name online and from I found it appears he's alive and doing well

So you didn't have the nerve to contact him when you found him online because at that point it would've been 7 in a half years since?

Corydaman93
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Jan 2011, 8:09 pm

A couple of people have finally voted for K-2.

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2011, 9:09 pm

Corydaman93 wrote:
So you didn't have the nerve to contact him when you found him online because at that point it would've been 7 in a half years since?

Not that I didn't have the nerve, I just want to put as much of my youth behind me as possible.

Corydaman93
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Jan 2011, 12:04 am

Scoots5012 wrote:
Corydaman93 wrote:

Not that I didn't have the nerve, I just want to put as much of my youth behind me as possible.

Yeah that makes sense. At times it is just good to move on from past relationships when changes are too great to the extent that people don't have that much to say to the person from their past anymore, unless if it is the awkward small talk like "OMG, I HAVEN'T SEEN YOU IN AGES!!" and then they may ramble on about their past life without them etc. etc. Looking ahead generally makes me feel better compared to looking back.

Corydaman93
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Jan 2011, 5:53 pm

bump

chewingkebabs
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Jan 2011, 8:09 pm

I think I was most comfortable in my last years of high school, because I was in all honors/AP courses, and therefore, I was surrounded by other smart people and valued for my capabilities. My high school was very academic in nature, so it was actually cool to get good grades. I was friends with the popular kids. College was also pretty fun.

I guess the worst years would have been junior high-early high school. That's when I became aware of my isolation. I had a few friends who had similar geeky interests, but mostly I spent breaks walking around alone or reading a book. That's not really different from what I do now, but at that age, you were expected to play sports and stuff like that. One year, my mom put me in a summer sports camp which was like torture. P.E. was torture too, which is another reason why junior and senior years were such a relief (the P.E. requirement was only until 10th grade).

I guess I always was somewhat of a loner. After my family moved out to California after third grade, I was presented with a candid photo of myself sitting on a rock, smiling blissfully. That was pretty creepy, since I don't remember ever seeing a cameraman in the playground.

Corydaman93
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Jan 2011, 8:37 pm

chewingkebabs wrote:
I think I was most comfortable in my last years of high school, because I was in all honors/AP courses, and therefore, I was surrounded by other smart people and valued for my capabilities. My high school was very academic in nature, so it was actually cool to get good grades. I was friends with the popular kids. College was also pretty fun.

I guess the worst years would have been junior high-early high school. That's when I became aware of my isolation. I had a few friends who had similar geeky interests, but mostly I spent breaks walking around alone or reading a book. That's not really different from what I do now, but at that age, you were expected to play sports and stuff like that. One year, my mom put me in a summer sports camp which was like torture. P.E. was torture too, which is another reason why junior and senior years were such a relief (the P.E. requirement was only until 10th grade).

I guess I always was somewhat of a loner. After my family moved out to California after third grade, I was presented with a candid photo of myself sitting on a rock, smiling blissfully. That was pretty creepy, since I don't remember ever seeing a cameraman in the playground.

PE was torture for me in grade 9 because I was bullied, luckily grade 9 was the only year I had to do it. And yeah, if you didn't recognize any camera man being around but you still saw a picture of yourself in that area, then yeah that is pretty creepy.

sillycat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Jan 2011, 8:45 pm

My "country, world", is an isolated nation, that no Visas are permited, no diplomatic missions exist. (North Korea has at least TWO embassies, perhaps more).

Oddly though, "Caseyland", played a very intergrated part in many people's lives. It's a strange world isn't it?

TJB20
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Jan 2011, 11:22 pm

I was isolated by my peers through elementry school, from middle school to the present I isolated myself. I've been pushing myself to hang around other people, just talking but I've been a lot happier then usual. :D