Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 10:51 am

I am not a "warm and cuddly" person by nature.

As a general rule, I can get along pretty well with a minimum amount of personal contact. In other words, I do not need you, and, in all likelihood, I don't require, nor desire, your companionship. Keeping that in mind, I view obnoxious behavior as obnoxious behavior, and I don't concern myself overmuch about where it's coming from, or why; therefore, I am no more likely to tolerate an annoying Aspie than an annoying NT. The fact that an annoying Aspie may be acting in a particular way due to AS does not factor into my thinking, and it is not likely to affect whether or not I view them as "annoying." Obnoxious people, regardless of where their obnoxiousness derives from, get cut out of my life without regret.

That being said, I'm pretty difficult to "wind-up" in the first place. Also, I'm a cynic and generally expect the worst of humanity, so I'm rarely surprised or distressed when craptastic behavior manifests itself. Sooooo...you have to be pretty @#^%# obnoxious before I bother to take enough notice of you to give you the proverbial boot.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 1:06 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:

Your life must be horrible.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 3:03 pm

Jonsi wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:

Your life must be horrible.

Not so much.

I'm in good health, I have my hobbies, I have an excellant sense of humor about myself and others, and I even have a few friends of which I'm quite fond of. I'm having dinner with them tonight, in fact.

So, no, not much "horrible-ness" here. Now, child soldiers in Uganda.....THEY have horrible lives.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

22 Jan 2011, 6:50 pm

personally I Love being evil. it just doesnt feel the same way to me as being good all the time

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2011, 10:07 pm

richardbenson wrote:
personally I Love being evil. it just doesnt feel the same way to me as being good all the time

:D

+1

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2011, 10:32 pm

I've let go of a grudge that I was holding on to and it feels great. :)

Chickenbird
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jan 2011, 5:26 pm

KenG wrote:
Moog wrote:
When I stop and think about it, I think it's surprising that we all seem to get on reasonably well together here.
Quoting from Jim Sinclair's 'AUTISM NETWORK INTERNATIONAL: THE DEVELOPMENT OF A COMMUNITY AND ITS CULTURE':
===
"In February 1992 Donna Williams came to the U.S. to promote her first book, Nobody Nowhere. During her trip, she took a few days away from the book tour to visit with Kathy Lissner (now Kathy Grant) and me, two of the autistic people she had been corresponding with through the penpal list. I drove to St. Louis, Missouri, where Kathy lived, and we all stayed together in Kathy's apartment.

Donna's description of that visit can be found on pages 184-187 of her second book, Somebody Somewhere. We spent two or three days together, in a place where everyone was autistic, and where there were only three of us instead of a large crowd. We were all somewhat familiar with each other through our written correspondence; Kathy and I had also met briefly in person at a conference or two. The combination of these factors produced a new kind of autistic encounter that was vastly different from meeting other autistic people at NT conferences. Donna's description of the experience reads in part:

Despite thousands of miles, our 'our world' concepts, strategies, and experiences even came down to having created the same made-up words to describe them. Together we felt like a lost tribe. 'Normal' is to be in the company of one like one's self.
[]
We all had a sense of belonging, of being understood, of being normal . . . all the things we could not get from others in general. It was so sad to have to leave. 'Why can't we all live together?' we had each asked at some point or other. (p. 186)

My own recollection of this meeting is of feeling that, after a life spent among aliens, I had met someone who came from the same planet as me. We understood each other. At one point I overheard Donna talking on the phone to someone associated with her book tour. Apparently the caller had asked her something about how the visit was going. I heard Donna's answer: "We don't get a lot of cooking done, but we speak the same language."

It was an amazing and powerful experience to be able to communicate with someone in my own language. I had sometimes been able to establish meaningful communication with people before, but it always involved my having to learn the other person's language and do constant laborious translating. (Sinclair, 1988) Here, with people who shared my language, meaning flowed freely and easily".
===
The complete article is here:
http://www.autreat.com/History_of_ANI.html

I appreciate this *so* much thank you! I was thinking, I can't *ever* get on with anyone, and especially not with others like me, and here is evidence to the contrary. You have just made my week :D

Changed score with attention to health. Still have AS traits and also some difficulties.

ajlposh
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Jan 2011, 10:35 pm

Usually saying "I'm sorry" is all I need. However, if they continue to do things that offend me and know that I'm just going to accept their apology and keep doing it, it's going to take a lot more.

Technikilor
Toucan
Toucan

28 Jan 2011, 10:42 pm

I've only ever been offended on here once, as opposed to almost constantly on NT forums. I usually forgive people I understand.

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 1:13 am

I forgive people in theory. I can often see their perspectives and understand their actions in retrospect. But I usually don't want to interact with them again in most cases. I am content to wash my hands of them and have become skilled at withdrawal from people's lives. I honestly wish them well in most cases.

If this is about people on the internet, I really never think about them long enough to forgive them or be very offended by them for more than a moment. They just all blend together.