Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Libelula85
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Feb 2011, 6:17 am

I made a superhuman effort to learn French.

The courses and books do not help me, its
structure does not help me. Only progress
when looking for the Latin origin of words in French.

grenouille = "ranuncula"

English is not assimilable to me, is a mixture
of French and German. :(

lostD
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2011, 7:54 am

Well, I see you are from Spain (or at least live in Spain, if you are not a native speaker, my story will be pointless). I am French and I have tried to learn Spanish but always fail with the structure because it is too close to French and Latin and I always confuse them. English is easier for me because it shares many characteristics with French but is still different and extremely interesting.
I find it less appealing because I struggle so much to study it.

Language is really important, it is culturally strong, carries many thoughts and ideologies, therefore it is really hard to truly master a language. Plus, the way our brain works (individually) makes it easier for us to learn one thing or another.

I do not really what you are trying to say but it seems that you can use both French and English even though the way you learn it is unique. By the way, knowing the origins of a word is very useful to understand a lnanguage and the way it has changed.

Libelula85

18 Feb 2011, 12:40 pm

lostD wrote:
I do not really what you are trying to say but it seems that you can use both French and English even though the way you learn it is unique. By the way, knowing the origins of a word is very useful to understand a lnanguage and the way it has changed.

I think some people like me have identical
patterns of learning and thought that in this
syndrome there is a similar learning pattern,
and basically wanted to know if I'm on the
right track...

Severus
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2011, 1:16 pm

I do sympathise as I have some trouble with French too. Is your trouble related to all aspects of the language or only speaking, writing etc.?
I can read anything in French without a dictionary, I can write passably but I can't speak and it seems like it got progressively worse as I went on with French. That's why I quit.
But speaking has always been problematic for me with all the foreign languages I know so it's not like it was a big surprise for me.