Page 3 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2011, 7:12 am

Moog wrote:
... and my brain is a master at convincing me that incredibly wacky things are completely plausible.

Yes, and sometimes even while I am awake!

Quite challenging.

LibertiORDeth
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Feb 2011, 7:14 am

For years I had somewhat clear dreams, but not particularly so, nor was it all too common to remember them. Then for a couple of years I (almost literally) had no knowledge or recollection of my dreams, and would just fall asleep and wake up, then maybe once a week recall a vague detail about something in one of my dreams.
Now, in the last few months, my dreams have started to manifest themselves, and are becoming clearer and clearer.

SamTheWizer
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Apr 2011, 8:28 pm

I´ve been a lucid dreamer since I was a kid, maybe 7 years old. I would have nightmares every time I fell asleep. I would keep myself awake because I knew I´d have nightmares when I fell asleep, but of course, one can´t fight off sleep forever. Finally I learned to control my dreams. To this day fear is the most common trigger for lucidity in my dreams. I have also employed other mnemonics (the classic is to pinch oneself) that have allowed me to become lucid. The most recent lucid dreams/false awakenings I had occurred while staying on some friends´ couch. I kept going to the same area over and over and seeing a red lantern sitting on the ground. Shortly after seeing the lantern I would experience a false awakening. This happened quite a few times before I realized I was still asleep. I saw the lantern and became lucid. I started walking through the dream looking for the ¨important character¨ (I do this in dreams and in waking life. I´ve found that if I want to do something in a dream, the best way to remember is to make it a habit in my waking life). I would look at my dream characters and decide they weren´t important, then lightly touch them to make them evaporate into a puff of mist. After a while I found a character with lightening in his eyes. I said, ¨It´s you.¨ He smiled and the world disappeared. Simultaneously he spread out infinitely like those paintings of the Hindu pantheon. After all this, I finally woke up for real to find my friend standing in the living room. I asked her, ¨Am I still dreaming?¨ She said yes, but was unable to convince me after so many false awakenings.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2011, 12:33 am

I've never had a lucid dream, but I don't have nightmares either. 80% of the time my dreams are just abstract thoughts and still images. Just a bunch of concepts that make no sense, almost as if when I dream I am trapped in 3 dimensional world with no way of traveling through the fourth, which is time. And even then that's if I'm in the dream, I'm not always, sometimes my dreams take on a third person view as if I'm just an observer. It's really kinda weird now that I think about it, but it doesn't when I'm in the dream.

As an example, one of the last nightmares (sort of) I had was actually almost two years ago. I was sort of sleeping on the couch in a very uncomfortable state, and there were two lamps around it. Throughout the night, I could not stop imagining that those two lamps were my mining facilities and I had to protect them as they were being attacked. But I didn't have any combat units to send to the facilities so I was screwed. It lasted the whole night, I could not consciously do anything, as nothing ever happened. Just a constant state of "oh crap I'm about to lose my only sources of income". I know it lasted all night because I sort of woke up several times that night and kept coming back into that same dream.

One of the best dreams I had was also like this. There was this airplane, a Boeing 737 to be exact, and I just imagined it moving through the clouds. I could control it with my mind, even though I was not really in the dream. It's as if I was the airplane, but the pictures in my head were of the control panel and a window view looking out at the left wing.

Perhaps the absolute best dream of all time was this next one I'm going to describe right here. It was a long time ago, so I don't remember any details at all, but I have to say it has truly been the most inspiring. All I remember are pictures of it. Stars, planets, and moons that came entirely out of my imagination. When I woke up I was shocked with amazement. Somehow I had experienced the massive scale of space, huge expansive distances and all sorts of beautiful nebulae and asteroid fields. I'm not quite sure what this feeling is, but I've only ever had it once, and it was that morning.

cnidocyte
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Apr 2011, 3:41 am

Plywood wrote:
I get them all the time but I think that is because I am left handed though.

I get them every night and I'm ambidextrous. Are you saying theres a connection cuz lefties use the right side of their brain more?

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2011, 4:20 am

leejosepho wrote:
Moog wrote:
... and my brain is a master at convincing me that incredibly wacky things are completely plausible.

Quite challenging.

:lol:

I've remembered 2 lucid dreams since I last visited this thread. Which is cool!

samuraiBSD
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Apr 2011, 4:49 am

I've had those. It's sort of strange, but very interesting, and kind of fun.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2011, 7:53 am

Moog wrote:
leejosepho wrote:
Moog wrote:

Quite challenging.

:lol:

I've remembered 2 lucid dreams since I last visited this thread. Which is cool!

I stopped taking my Prozac a little over a week ago (because of certain side effects), and now my "lucid dreaming" has fallen off considerably. I still do have the same dreams and my wife occasionally tells me about that after having to listen to whatever is going on, but my recollections in the morning have almost completely ceased.

Bummer.

gailryder17
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2011, 8:13 am

MXH wrote:
Im just curious if any of you guys also have them. And have you ever had a false awakening too? I have lucid dreams every night but have only had a false awakening once. I "woke up" because i had to pee. So i got out of bed and walked into my bathroom but noticed the curtains were different right before i started to pee. Then i immediately wake up for real and run to the bathroom since i almost just pee'd myself.

Once I actually did pee myself because I had a dream that I was going to the bathroom. Hehehe...

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2011, 8:17 am

gailryder17 wrote:
MXH wrote:
Im just curious if any of you guys also have them. And have you ever had a false awakening too? I have lucid dreams every night but have only had a false awakening once. I "woke up" because i had to pee. So i got out of bed and walked into my bathroom but noticed the curtains were different right before i started to pee. Then i immediately wake up for real and run to the bathroom since i almost just pee'd myself.

Once I actually did pee myself because I had a dream that I was going to the bathroom. Hehehe...

I've done that before. Only once, thankfully.

SamTheWizer
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Apr 2011, 9:53 am

SammichEater wrote:
And even then that's if I'm in the dream, I'm not always, sometimes my dreams take on a third person view as if I'm just an observer.

I have similar dreams. I´ll often have dreams where I´m in the dream but I´m also viewing it from space like a satellite. It´s weird to think about, but when I´m in these dreams it feels totally natural to be myself and be looking down at myself from thousands of miles away simultaneously.

JWS
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Apr 2011, 12:04 pm

I have had some very lucid dreams in my life, too. And remember having false awakenings more than once.
It seems to me that I am usually either depressed or under a lot of stress when my dreams occur. I have awakened at times mentally exhausted after very lucid dreams, as well.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2011, 12:25 pm

JWS wrote:
I have awakened at times mentally exhausted after very lucid dreams, as well.

Yes, and even quite disturbed even though I cannot then recall the dream.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2011, 1:24 pm

SamTheWizer wrote:
SammichEater wrote:
And even then that's if I'm in the dream, I'm not always, sometimes my dreams take on a third person view as if I'm just an observer.

I have similar dreams. I´ll often have dreams where I´m in the dream but I´m also viewing it from space like a satellite. It´s weird to think about, but when I´m in these dreams it feels totally natural to be myself and be looking down at myself from thousands of miles away simultaneously.

I often see myself from the 3rd person in dreams. And sometimes I see people who obviously aren't me as me. Sometimes I see women in my dreams and identify them as 'me'. It's interesting.