Reciting and Repeating Lines and Words

Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

TheCicada
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Mar 2011, 2:18 pm

I have noticed that I have always loved reciting lines from TV shows. I find it easy to memorize things, and quite often don't even have to try! When alone, I am often not at all quiet like a "normal" person. I pace around repeating things over and over again that I think are funny, and reciting lines from shows. For example, I find Futurama awesome, and run around screaming out Zoidberg's lines, or lines from the show I find funny like, "What killed the dinosaurs?" "MEEEEEE!"

Other times, if I like the sound of something, I will keep saying it over and over.

Is this an Asperger's trait? Anyone else do this kind of stuff?

-Mallory

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My World, Highview, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, Local Group, Local Supercluster

02 Mar 2011, 2:38 pm

Oh wow. I'm a fairly new diagnosee, and it seems that almost every day I encounter someone here talking about one of "MY" eccentricities, and I think "Of course!"

I don't repeat things to myself when I'm alone (though I do talk to myself and to my cat)
but I'm always reciting things, from Shakespeare to a particularly cynical line from House-
it always drove my mother crazy.

That, and when I was younger I'd say something,
and then repeat it under my breath a few times, thinking about whether it sounded weird, and how the words flowed together.

I reported your avatar- it's in clear violation of WP's Threshold of Cuteness. :D

TheCicada
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Mar 2011, 2:49 pm

Bethie wrote:
I reported your avatar- it's in clear violation of WP's Threshold of Cuteness. :D

Please don't tell me you actually reported it. I don't want to get in trouble :(

But thanks lol

-Mallory

MommyJones
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 2:57 pm

My son is 9 and he does this all the time. I thought by now he'd grow out of it, since I believed it was his way of learning and practicing language. I've often wondered if it's some kind of a stim. (I'm not AS, but I do talk to myself incessently, and I find it very stress relieving) I also wonder if he will always do that, and I too wonder if anyone else, adults particularly still do that.

He has a strong obsession with Star Wars, and it's constantly in his head. May things he says are from that, so I wonder if it's an obsession thing.

It's probably a little of all of that. :)

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

02 Mar 2011, 3:37 pm

Repetition is called echolalia, and is apparently pretty common on the spectrum.

I have some stuff I repeat to myself privately, and I like to use appropriate quotes from media in conversation pretty often, and I pick them up from everywhere. And there are random quotes that I just sort of say without meaning too, at least privately.

Much more rarely (like once in the past year that I remember I've held up my end of a conversation by basically repeating what someone said to me back to them. Strangely, they didn't comment. It was good, though, because I was having trouble forming my own sentences.

Yensid
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 4:26 pm

TheCicada wrote:
Other times, if I like the sound of something, I will keep saying it over and over.

I do that a lot. The only thing that keeps me from doing it more is that I have a horrible time memorizing that sort of thing.

TheCicada
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Mar 2011, 4:32 pm

MommyJones wrote:
My son is 9 and he does this all the time. I thought by now he'd grow out of it, since I believed it was his way of learning and practicing language. I've often wondered if it's some kind of a stim. (I'm not AS, but I do talk to myself incessently, and I find it very stress relieving) I also wonder if he will always do that, and I too wonder if anyone else, adults particularly still do that.

He has a strong obsession with Star Wars, and it's constantly in his head. May things he says are from that, so I wonder if it's an obsession thing.

It's probably a little of all of that. :)

I'm an adult, but I am NOT NT :P

-Mallory

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 5:30 pm

In my childhood, I was questioned several times, why I kept repeating my own words in whisper, so that I told many sentences twice...

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My World, Highview, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, Local Group, Local Supercluster

02 Mar 2011, 5:47 pm

TheCicada wrote:
Bethie wrote:

Please don't tell me you actually reported it. I don't want to get in trouble :(

But thanks lol

-Mallory

Of course not!

Serves me right for being non-literal with others when I, myself have such trouble understanding it. :wink:

TheCicada
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Mar 2011, 5:58 pm

Bethie wrote:
TheCicada wrote:
Bethie wrote:

But thanks lol

-Mallory

Of course not!

Serves me right for being non-literal with others when I, myself have such trouble understanding it. :wink:

Haha. It's okay. I thought you were kidding, but I wasn't sure :P

-Mallory

chris09
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Mar 2011, 7:16 pm

TheCicada wrote:
I have noticed that I have always loved reciting lines from TV shows. I find it easy to memorize things, and quite often don't even have to try! When alone, I am often not at all quiet like a "normal" person. I pace around repeating things over and over again that I think are funny, and reciting lines from shows. For example, I find Futurama awesome, and run around screaming out Zoidberg's lines, or lines from the show I find funny like, "What killed the dinosaurs?" "MEEEEEE!"

Is this an Asperger's trait? Anyone else do this kind of stuff?

-Mallory

OMG I totally do this. There is no one home today with me and I talk to my self all day long lol. Like I recite thigs from movies, TV shows, and songs.

I find my self quoting Dr. Zoidberg as well. When I go back to my room from somewhere else in the house I will kind flail my arms and run off going "whoop whoop whoop whoop" lol.

I swear if the FBI were to bug my house secretly they would think I was nuts!!

I also always find my self loudly humming different melodies to songs. Like today it has been the song on the Starsky and Hutch movie at the end when the try to jump the car onto the boat :)

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 8:27 pm

I do that. Often I'll repeat one word over and over in slightly different ways each time, too.

ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 9:05 pm

anbuend wrote:
I do that. Often I'll repeat one word over and over in slightly different ways each time, too.

I do that sometimes, putting emphasis on different parts of the word, pronouncing the syllables differently, repeating syllables, etc. I tend to repeat certain words over and over a lot when i'm talking to my animals, especially(moreso when i'm alone with them, though). Like "chihuahua. chihuaaaaaahua. chihuahuaaaaa."("chihuahua" is just a cool word.. lol) or "snaaaaaaaake. snnnnnnnakey. snaaaaaakeysnake."(just examples.. i also use their names and other stuff the same way).

Also, if someone says a word or phrase that sounds fun to say, on tv or whatever, then i'll echo it, but i don't think that's all that unusual(my first real words were when something broke in the kitchen, my grandmother reacted to the mess by saying "lordy lordy lordy" and i echoed it).

I also have the very similar conversations with different people over and over again. The whole thing usually isn't word for word, but parts of it are... Like when i'm explaining something about an interest of mine. I don't get tired of those kind of conversations though, and would gladly say pretty much the exact same thing about my snakes over and over to 500 different people. Their reactions to what i say differ somewhat from person to person, but in general it's like it's the same conversation. That's not really echoing something from somewhere else as much as it's echoing myself, though.

Bells
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Mar 2011, 9:17 pm

Heh, I do this a LOT - and I do it with Futurama as well (though Star Trek, Supernatural and Doctor Who tend to be just as repeatable). I will pace around repeating phrases and bits of dialogue. I do this with song lyrics (not entire songs, but parts of songs and random lyrics). I do this with phrases from conversation - or single words that I liked out of conversation. I can hold myself back in public, but that usually means I end up whispering under my breath, repeating in my head or writing with my finger the words/phrases I'm stuck on.

Hehe, the FBI would think I was a crazy too. I can control myself in public but when I'm home alone I just let loose and don't control my AS traits - like this - at all.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 9:53 pm

I do this too......the word I was perseverating on today was reverie :)

333Onfire
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Mar 2011, 11:36 pm

Holy Crap!! ! I thought that was just me. Mine is a little different, I do impressions of celebrities. I repeat Monty Python and the Holy Grail a lot of the time, or The Simpsons. I once thought the word Fork sounded so cool that I repeated it until it had lost all meaning. I love this site!