Veteran

01 Feb 2011, 11:04 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
....it says

Three of the following for A
Two of the following for B

and then these:
Quote:
C. Symptoms must be present in early childhood (but may not become fully manifest until social demands exceed limited capacities)
D. Symptoms together limit and impair everyday functioning.

Ok, thanks :)

Well, I meet 3 of A (on the milder end though) and 3 of B.

C and D...YUP. But my symptoms only impair me in relationships. I don't have a problem working or living and I have some friends. I just have trouble connecting to others, making efforts in keeping friends, and feeling peer-appropriate.

I think I am on the milder end of AS.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2011, 2:11 pm

DandelionFireworks wrote:
Yeah, but there are times when things could be described more understandably. I do agree that some things are insanely specialized, and that moreover, some things that are jargony are also simpler to explain than to find synonyms for. I do agree that to some extent it makes sense to use the jargon but explain it.

But surely there's a better way than, say...

Quote:
Gabapentin is a white to off-white crystalline solid with a pKa1 of 3.7 and a pKa2 of 10.7. It is freely soluble in water and both basic and acidic aqueous solutions. The log of the partition
coefficient (n-octanol/0.05M phosphate buffer) at pH 7.4 is –1.25.

That's from a PI sheet. You know, that thing the patient is supposed to be able to look at in order to understand what they're taking. You probably understand that, but I don't and I doubt most people who end up taking this drug (whatever it is, I just wanted an example, so I have no clue what this thing does) understand it any better than I do.
Yeah, I can see that that could be stated more simply; but in this case, the chemical information isn't something the patient needs to know about--they aren't manufacturing or doing quality control on the drug. (For that matter, even the doctor doesn't truly need to know it.) I guess there are probably situations where important info is obscured by jargon, though.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

ediself
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2011, 2:43 pm

I like the revision, I feel it speaks more about autism than the DSM-IV did, and it looks all around less " stereotyped" . I too am getting tired of this word, it feels insulting.Also, i can see how they would think that our special interests get in the way of us getting interested in other things, but i'm not totally sure this is how it works, although i don't really know how to express HOW i think it works exactly.
If you know what i mean and are better able than myself to put it clearly, be my guest!

ediself
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2011, 2:46 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

On the Severity Level, I am definitely at Level 1, 'requiring support.'
I wonder what kind of 'support' they are referring to?

:lol: good one !

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2011, 4:09 pm

ediself wrote:
Also, i can see how they would think that our special interests get in the way of us getting interested in other things, but i'm not totally sure this is how it works, although i don't really know how to express HOW i think it works exactly.

So basically they want us to have more normal interests or feign interest in whatever other people are interested in, usually topics like sports or fashion?

I think the important thing is when fixated interests keep somebody from doing things they need to do: eat, sleep, hold a job if necessary... if somebody wants to talk about only their interest it seems rather petty to me, so what?

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2011, 10:29 pm

ediself wrote:
Also, i can see how they would think that our special interests get in the way of us getting interested in other things, but i'm not totally sure this is how it works, although i don't really know how to express HOW i think it works exactly.

Basically, what people want others to do is function in society and get a job. Whatever you need to do to reach that paramountcy is what doctors and therapists concern themselves with.
If you can talk about a special interest constantly while functioning in society and finding work, then it's considered normal. If it keeps you from it, it's abnormal.

starygrrl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2011, 4:30 pm

How did it change. Well here is the rundown. The most important changes were as such. One line used to require Deficits in Verbal and Nonverbal communication. Verbal communication was cut out. I think this is critical, as it brings in NVLD which has been in sort of a limbo state in the DSM. Secondly sensory aspects were brought in, again this brings in NVLD into the spectrum, but also many women.

Another point that was eliminated is the one that required lacking of social and emotional reciprocity. As many have pointed out "Lacking" was extremely flawed and would take many people out of the diagnostic criteria. It is now called as Deficits and has included a wider range of example behavior. I think this helps girls and women on the spectrum, as it broadens the possible behaviors. In addition Deficits is a much broader terminology that can include a range of behaviors rather than "Lack of" which as many pointed out was overly restrictive and can actually be exclusionary of many aspies and those with PDD-NOS.

Changing the terminology to deficits encompasses both those who are PDD-NOS and AS, but also many who have NVLD, but may have not fallen under AS.

I will say I like this definition. I think it is as close as appropriate as they are going to get.

I read the tables as well. I think that still needs work for a level 0, for people who may need intervention and therapy, but that intervention is limited and perioditic in nature. Basically "Requires Limited Support".

I still think this is helpful for adults because while "child focused" it is much more flexible to adult realities. In that things that were "lack of" are now listed as broad deficits.

Last edited by starygrrl on 04 Mar 2011, 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

meerkateer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Mar 2011, 8:53 pm

The new criteria read more like they passed through a human brain before being written down. I approve.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

04 Mar 2011, 9:14 pm

I meet most the Criteria but never met all of it, but did nore so as a child.
I never met the no imaginitive play one as I am very creative and had a tendancy to get lost in my imaginations as a kid and could not get out of them.

I was diagnosed at 8 with severe PDD with autistic traits because I did not meet the no imaginitive play thing.

rainbowbutterfly
Toucan
Toucan

05 Mar 2011, 3:10 am

I'm unsure about whether or not I think the DSM V is an improvement from the DSM IV. It's good that they mention different functioning abilities, but I still disagree with the DSM's tendency to have a certain minimum number of symptoms in each category to be considered for a diagnosis. Instead of checking off quantity of symptoms off the list, they should go by quality of functioning in each symptom that is present.

Also, before reading this I never realized that obsessive smelling or touching of objects counts as hypo or hyperactive sensory sensitivity (I'm unsure which one this would be). I like to smell different bath products and scented candles. And whenever I'm shopping I like to touch many of the things that I see without always wanting to buy them. I especially like the feel of things that are soft or rubbery. In addition to that I've lately come to the realization that my sense of smell is more sensitive than others around me. It's interesting because I never considered myself to have sensory issues due to the fact that many of the other people I know with sensory issues mainly have issues with loud sounds.

Anyway, I was looking at other things while at it. I disagree about the new DSM proposing to get rid of Rett's disorder. And, I don't disagree with them not including a language learning delay as a part of the diagnosis of autism due to the fact that it's its own separate category called Late Language Emergence. In the description they state that it could be a risk for any number of disorders including autism, ADHD, along with quite a few others.

Tsukimi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Mar 2011, 3:58 am

jojobean wrote:
I was diagnosed at 8 with severe PDD with autistic traits because I did not meet the no imaginitive play thing.

I've never understood the no imagination thing very well. Many of us have a great imagination, just not in the common way. E.g. one can make up all a fancy world but cannot pretend "we are a family" with other kids.

Kon
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2011, 9:20 pm

I found this proposed ASD continuum in DSM-V interesting:

Symptom severity for ASD could be defined along a continuum that includes normal traits, subclinical symptoms and three different severity levels for the disorder. One possible model:

Most severe ASD
-Minimal or no social communication
-Nearly constant, complete preoccupation, strongly resists interference with ritual

Moderately severe ASD
-Some social communication but interactions noticeably disturbed
-Frequent and interfering rituals, repetitive behaviors and fixated interests

Less severe ASD
-Clear impairments in social communication.
-Meets all diagnostic criteria including symptom severity greater than threshold
-Occasional rituals, repetitive behaviors and fixated interests; some interference

Subclinical AS Symptoms
-Has some symptoms from one or both domains but no significant interference or impairment.
-Odd mannerisms, some excessive preoccupations but distractible, may have ritualized behaviors but they don't interfere with daily activities

Normal Variation
-Socially isolated or "awkward"
-Some ritualized behaviors and preoccupations but these are normal for developmental stage and cause no interference

http://www.psych.org/MainMenu/Research/ ... eport.aspx

Surreal
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Mar 2011, 11:58 pm

I can still see myself in the revised criteria.

No matter how you slice it, it comes up peanuts!

I did not go looking for Asperger's...it found me by way of my Higher Power. Once we became acquainted, I found out that we had quite a bit in common and we became good friends. And then I landed on WrongPlanet!
</p>

modernhobbit
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Mar 2011, 12:31 am

simon_says wrote:
Hit every one again. I think beyond that fact that daily life has given me some short term charm, my AS goes all the way to 11.

Ive always wondered why I repeat certain stock phrases of little apparent meaning aloud to myself, especially in the bathroom when others arent around. I rarely do it around others and feel self-conscious/briefly stressed if one slips out around someone else (usually if I didnt notice they were near). Interesting that that's covered.

I do that too! For a while I thought I had Tourette's, but since I can "turn it off" it's not really a tic, is it? I've gotten to the point where I can do it around my girlfriend of 4 years without being too embarrassed if she catches me.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2011, 1:09 am

OK, EVEN looking at all the examples...

revision

A:1-3
B: 1 and 4, though I could make a case for the others to a degree
C YEP! The school brought it up at 6, and I do remember the lights, TV, alarms, etc....
D: YEP

Severity
Level 1. I always said it was mild

By comparison with IV:

1. ALL
2 couuld be b and d
3 could be a and b
B 1
C. NOPE, no other.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

06 Mar 2011, 1:21 am

Okay:

A: 1, 2, 3
B: 1, 2, 3, 4
C: Yes
D: Yes

Severity: Mostly 1, probably, but deceptively so.

Seemed easier than the previous criteria.

Last edited by Verdandi on 06 Mar 2011, 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.