100 Ways to Annoy Somebody With Asperger's Syndrome

Page 19 of 45 [ 711 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 45  Next

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2011, 9:13 pm

471) Keep picking at the way they are phrasing things, and keep attempting to correct their speech and word usage.
472) Claim you accept them they way they are yet tell them they cant do certain things...hypocrite
473) Make comparisons of them to other people.
474) Look down on them, and put yourself on a pedestal, because your doing your "community service" by putting up with them.
475) Be critical about their social ways, yet not give a logical explanation of why your being critical of them, just simply tell them that their not suppose to be that way

billmeister
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Mar 2011, 9:13 pm

476) As an attention-starved cashier, insist on serving aspie when they want to use the self checkout to limit human contact.

477) Drone on about last night's "reality" television program, even after aspie tells you she/he does not watch said show.

478) Stores with "greeters." ARUAAAARRRRGHGGGG!! !! !! ! What marketing jerk came up with this idea? Seriously, who?? I can't stand walking into a store and have some drone in my face waving a sales flyer and saying "welcome to [blah-blah] how are you today?" Get the F* out of my way and leave me alone, else I will go to a different place.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

08 Mar 2011, 11:41 pm

billmeister wrote:
476)478) Stores with "greeters." ARUAAAARRRRGHGGGG!! !! !! ! What marketing jerk came up with this idea? Seriously, who?? I can't stand walking into a store and have some drone in my face waving a sales flyer and saying "welcome to [blah-blah] how are you today?" Get the F* out of my way and leave me alone, else I will go to a different place.

:lol:

Sean_91
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Mar 2011, 9:30 am

479. Label them as "creepy" if they are stressed, overloaded, or in a hurry to get somewhere.
480. Don't let them do anything and then call them lazy for not doing anything.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2011, 12:44 am

481. Give him or her more than one assignment / task to complete at once and do not tell him/her in what order to complete the assignments or which one is more important (school is good at doing this one....sometimes parents are too!)

coatesdj
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Mar 2011, 1:38 am

I know this has been commented upon before, but I think this is pretty salient:

"113) Tell them that you are going shopping at the supermarket and ask if they would like to come. Then drag aspie to all sorts of places that are not the supermarket, including the shopping mall and a second supermarket and then drive around for half an hour looking for banks, totalling up to 4 hours of shopping and driving instead of proposed simple supermarket trip, aspie practically foaming at the mouth afterwards."

YES. Worst example of this I can think of is when my girlfriend at the time drove me to the mall because I needed to buy a pair of shoes, which ordinarily takes me about 20 minutes (I know what I like, and I take no guff or offers of "assistance" from the salespeople). This, of course, expanded to about three hours, because she needed to stop at every kiosk and store in the place. Beautiful Saturday afternoon in May in Providence, and where do you get to spend it? Inside the mall. Made me want to rip my hair out.

My routines are more variations on a theme...go to class, go to a third place to relax for a little bit and then start studying, and come home by six, but I can make very good estimates of how long these things will take, and can instruct others accordingly. I'd never drag someone else along on a sudden unexpected stop...

daedal
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Mar 2011, 4:54 am

I really don't mind people making fun of my stims. I was in a restaurant with some friends and it was loud, half lit, lots of smells around, I was rocking quite a bit. I look up to see the two on my right grinning away and imitating me. There's nothing malicious in it. Even if it is, who cares! Don't you get made fun of for worse things?

The one about 'everyone is on the spectrum' really annoys me though!!

violetchild
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Mar 2011, 7:32 am

Ask them to cook you your favourite meal... (telling them what you want).

Once they've gone to the effort to cook it as you said (while at the same time having to force themselves away from their special interest for you to do this), change your mind and decide you are having something else to eat instead.

(I went into a melt down when someone did the above to me)

manlyadam
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Mar 2011, 11:27 am

To be honest I'm quite upset about the derogatory labels "syndrome, disorder" etc I hate the sound of someone saying "I have aspergers" it sounds just like "I have aids" or something to me. I think it's not something bad you have, it's something you are

I do understand some peoples need for help so from that perspective it's better to label people higher on the spectrum this way but I think people should progress and be more positive about neuro-diversity. I would call most mental illnesses neurological differences

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2011, 12:36 pm

When they tell you they have sensory sensitivities, say 'Oh that's because you wear sunglasses/earplugs/insert as appropriate here'.

I am going to murder the next person who does this to me.

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2011, 12:39 pm

Touch them incessantly when they are talking to you. (I almost attacked an old lady last week because she kept doing this...)

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

10 Mar 2011, 12:42 pm

mechanicalgirl39 wrote:
Touch them incessantly when they are talking to you. (I almost attacked an old lady last week because she kept doing this...)

This one older lady kept lightly tapping my arm when talking to me. I repeatedly asked her not to, but she would forget. It got to the place where, if I saw her, my skin would start jumping in nervous expectation of being touched. I started avoiding her or keeping my distance whenever I was forced to interact with her.

FunnyFairytale
Toucan
Toucan

10 Mar 2011, 12:45 pm

I can think of a few things that bother me Im sure but I dont know if itwould be the same for anyone else.

I hate when people move my things around.I like knowing that everything has its place and where I can find it.

Too much noise and sound and too loud.Closing door with a bang, making noises with knives and spoons and plates while doing dishes.Talk loud and intense for long periods of time.

etc etc etc.

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2011, 12:45 pm

hartzofspace wrote:
mechanicalgirl39 wrote:

This one older lady kept lightly tapping my arm when talking to me. I repeatedly asked her not to, but she would forget. It got to the place where, if I saw her, my skin would start jumping in nervous expectation of being touched. I started avoiding her or keeping my distance whenever I was forced to interact with her.

Ugh! Sorry to hear that.

I went to buy a dress from the second hand shop and the old woman working there started an argument about how she couldn't let it out of the window. Anyway she eventually agreed but all the time she was talking to me she put her hands on me. I almost flipped when she randomly put her hand over my lower spine while talking. Seriously what the hell did she think she was doing? You don't touch someone you don't know there. I almost punched her in the face. I don't like being touched anywhere by people I don't know, but I feel the need to protect that zone for some reason.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

10 Mar 2011, 1:39 pm

mechanicalgirl39 wrote:
hartzofspace wrote:
mechanicalgirl39 wrote:

Ugh! Sorry to hear that.

I went to buy a dress from the second hand shop and the old woman working there started an argument about how she couldn't let it out of the window. Anyway she eventually agreed but all the time she was talking to me she put her hands on me. I almost flipped when she randomly put her hand over my lower spine while talking. Seriously what the hell did she think she was doing? You don't touch someone you don't know there. I almost punched her in the face. I don't like being touched anywhere by people I don't know, but I feel the need to protect that zone for some reason.

Wow, your lower spine? That was way inappropriate! Only my boyfriend can touch me there. Lots of people that I've met think nothing of touching my upper arm, my neck, etc. When in my teens, I would randomly punch people. It was like a reflex. Now I just startle and freeze. I hate random touch! :x

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2011, 2:26 pm

I think I attract touchie feely type people. If I see someone talking to someone else and they are putting their hands on the person they are talking to I will avoid him/her like the plague. I will even go out of my way to be mean to the person so they would avoid me. I hate myself for doing it but I hate being touched even more.

I worked with a waitress who use to like to come up behind me grab me by both biceps and put her chin on my shoulder to talk to me. To make matters worst she did it without warning because she liked making me jump. The boss finally made her quit when she did it agiain, it caused me to cut the tip off my left thumb.