Do other people say you notice more detail than others?

Page 3 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Do other people say you notice more detail than others?
Yes 83%  83%  [ 45 ]
No 17%  17%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 54

TTRSage
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Mar 2011, 10:27 pm

I see details that nobody else sees and also have a long term memory that just won't stop. Some people have said that I have a photographic memory, but personally I do not believe this. I continually amaze my sister by recalling minute details from our childhood that she has long forgotten. I even remember the pain involved when my parents rinsed off my healing umbilical cord just after birth... or maybe it was my circumcision wound. That distinction is one that I do NOT remember... shame on me.

MarkMartino
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Mar 2011, 10:59 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
I've been told since I can remember that I had 'an amazing eye for detail'. This is mainly due to me noticing things others don't.

The kicker is, though, that I often miss the obvious.

Ha! Yes.

I'm a great proofreader for instance, my eye sees typos before my brain understands what's wrong.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 10:59 pm

krill wrote:
I am such an NLDer! I voted 'yes' but with me it ONLY applies to text.

For half the 80s and all of the 90s I worked as a legal coder - picking out names and other details in text. I consistently amazed people by finding the most minute, inconspicious details. Still do that when the situation calls for it. I also notice grammatical mistakes much more than I would like.

However, outside of that I'm the complete other extreme. When I took an IQ test as part of my NVLD diagnosis I had to copy a drawing, which I did passably. But when then asked to reconstruct it from memory I did so badly it wasn't even measurable. I'm moderately faceblind and on top of that don't notice changes to people's appearance. Or geographical landmarks. Or anything else.

But I'm uncanny with text.

Ah, NVLD.

I have NVLD too...and I'm exactly like that.........I couldn't reproduce a figure (draw ) well if my life depended on it! I barely did that passably on my IQ test....my performance IQ is borderline-low average range (verbal IQ is above average-superior range). They couldn't even give me a full scale IQ score bcs it was so unreliable (such a big discrepancy). I am terrible at recognizing faces and have very poor memory for spatial directions! In this case I don't notice details or the whole picture...I'm just blind (figuratively speaking)=). My detail noticing is usually in regard to text (like you described) but I'm also very good at embedded figures tests. They noted on my assessment that I focused excessively on details and had difficulty with the gestalt.

gadge
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2011, 3:53 pm

daydreamer84 wrote:
AS people are supposed to be good at these (because of our attention to detail). It's an embedded figure test...you have to find the smaller figure in the bigger figure. I can do these really quickly!

by quick is .01 seconds quick, i dont read the text first , only after then answer questuins 'bout it

Scanner
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Mar 2011, 4:14 pm

I point out patterns in things often. My friends say things like "i would never have thought that" or "i would never have seen that"

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2011, 10:45 pm

gadge wrote:
daydreamer84 wrote:
AS people are supposed to be good at these (because of our attention to detail). It's an embedded figure test...you have to find the smaller figure in the bigger figure. I can do these really quickly!

by quick is .01 seconds quick, i dont read the text first , only after then answer questuins 'bout it

Amazingly enough I showed not that one but this one http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_CGQTWjODmZw/T ... 2Bpram.jpg in my abnormal child psych class when I was giving a presentation on AS and NLD and asked people to put up their hand when they saw the triangle in the pram. I waited a full minute at least and only half the class got it and they got it slowly! I think I saw the triangle before I saw the pram!

ZeroGravitas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Mar 2011, 11:30 pm

A few hours ago my girlfriend and I went to Barnes and Noble. While browsing, I noticed the positions of the books.

Now, I can still remember the exact order of books I was interested in on which shelves.

I cannot for the life of me remember the route we took to get to the store, the faces of any other customers, how much the books cost whose prices I looked at, or how much the coffee I got cost.

We also went to a pet store (it's a quirk we share). I can recall each dog and cat I played with nearly perfectly. Which shelves had which types of cat toys and cat foods. But I have no idea where the store is, whether the person who owned the husky was a male or female, etc.

We then went to a gourmet grocery store. I can remember exactly how much per pound the Jamaican Blue Mountain is ($49.99), the prices of the other types of coffee, the location and brand of each coffee maker, and the exact kinds of curry sauces in which aisle. I do not remember its location, whether we talked to anyone, or details about the bakery supplies.

Yes, I can notice and remember those things which interest me, to a rather high degree. But I have little control over what I will find interesting, and no control over whether the details I archived would be at all useful to somebody else. This makes my memory a kind of crapshoot, in which I and anyone else will just have to hope I was in eidetic mode rather than passive mode.

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt156929.html - How to annoy me

KBerg
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Mar 2011, 11:38 pm

I used to believe I had good memory for all those little things, then I realized my friends were using me instead of search engines for certain things. Once someone you know who's sitting at a computer tells you "Well yeah, I could, but it's faster to ask you so I don't have to tab" it's no longer a belief. To this day I insist that I'm not a walking version of google damn it, and they insist that yes, I am.