Page 2 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2011, 10:54 pm

matt wrote:
Research appropriate behaviors and try to emulate them as much as possible, like a checklist, and stick to the script. Do not show frustration.

The more predictable the situation the easier it is to think of possible events and prepare for them.

When it's necessary, I watch YouTube videos.

I can pretend well enough to convince people at least somewhat in some situations. For example, this would be what I was thinking during a job interview:

Walk as smoothly as possible, trying not to "bounce" and to walk exactly the same speed as other people, staying almost up to speed with whoever you're walking by to stay just slightly behind them but almost next to them. Swing your arms more when you walk. Don't put your hands in your pockets. Say "Nice to meet you." Reach out to shake hands before they do. Put your palm up so their hand is on top. Firm handshake unless the interviewer is a woman in which case less firm handshake. Let them sit down first. Don't cross your arms or your legs. Keep your arms and legs somewhat far apart. Sit up straight with your legs apart. Try to smile. Look them in the eye. Shake your head. Answer their questions. Keep answers short. Don't ramble. When you are answering a question, make gestures. You can look at your hands while answering, but look back near the end of each answer. This helps to break eye contact occasionally but to make it seem normal. Ask them questions. That makes you seem interested in what they're saying. What will be my primary responsibilities in this job? How long have you worked here? How would you describe the company and what it's like to work here? What are the hours for this position? Are they consistent, or do they change? What are you looking for most for candidates for this position? I understand <something I've looked up about the company and a question based on that>? What benefits are available with this position? (if they ask for clarification) "Medical, dental, retirement, things like that?" (after they respond) "Alright, that sounds great. This sounds like a good position, and I'm very interested." Let them say whatever they will say next. When they get up to show you out, extend your hand one more time with the palm up, and say "Alright, thanks very much. I hope to hear from you soon." "Thanks very much." Walk away at the same pace you walked in, trying to walk as normally as possible(assuming that you can do that).

One thing which seems to be good is if you can remember to say "Hi" correctly in the mornings. I can barely do this. I can usually respond, but don't remember to initiate, and aside from my family members I have very very much trouble addressing people in person by their names.

It is exhausting to remember so many rules and try to follow them at the appropriate times. Especially when there are sensory things and other distractions.

Wow, good list. I had some prosody trouble to compensate for and had to 'push' a bit to hear and respond to people faster, but besides that, that's the same list I had. But yeah, exhausting. I remember coming out of interviews, sitting down in my car, and then zoning out for an hour (if I had the time, anyway).

Not that I'd recommend doing that all the time (I actually did that for some years -- d'oh). Nowadays, I use bits of what I learned when the reward-to-cost ratio makes it worth it. Trying to do all that all the time was insane. I would not recommend that to anybody.

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2011, 11:22 pm

Verdandi wrote:
This system means that if a conversation is completely unexpected, I start matching phrases to what I'm hearing without really thinking about what the conversation is about and may agree to something I wouldn't otherwise agree to, or disagree similarly, although I try to aim for more noncommittal responses until my brain catches up, which sometimes it never does.

I hate it when I do this. It happens all the time with work, and I end up agreeing to all sorts of ridiculous things which result in me being overworked and overwhelmed. I'm really trying to make an effort to not give those kind of responses, but it's difficult because I feel so much pressure to give an answer quickly so as not to appear incompetent.

I'm one of those who thought I was better at faking it than I really am.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2011, 11:53 pm

anbuend wrote:
raisedbyignorance wrote:
BlueMage wrote:
Everyone fakes it.

NTs are just better at it.

True but NTs don't have to fake things that actually come to them naturally like we do.

Reason why I can never fake it is that I always have this weird uncomfortable feeling when I do. More like an awkwardness. Faking it is just not what I was made for.

In my case, I can either fake it, or not communicate in words, so... yeah.

That's interesting. I'm not sure if it's the same thing or on the same 'level,' exactly, but at one time I tried "turning off" the speech-generating method/'trick' I'd come up with, and found that I couldn't say anything. Eventually, I realized it was my only real conduit for speech. But since then I've found that if I don't worry about speaking slowly or having long pauses, that I can get better at 'steering' it to go more towards where I want it to go.

I probably have fewer speech issues that a lot of people, but it's still exhausting. I used to think everyone did things like that, but then I started noticing they weren't exhausted all the time.

lotuspuppy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2011, 11:57 pm

Don't. It's counterproductive. If you fake it, people sense you are different, and think only about barriers to interaction with you. If you act yourself, they are more likely to get to know you. I just switched to a more authentic view of asperger's, and feel my quality of life is better.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2011, 12:00 am

I imitate the expressions and gestures of my friends but apparently I don't do it well.............my last friend accused me of "always copying her" and "not saying anything original" and "wanting to be her" (which was not true)................my current friend made a joke about me stealing her expressions ...........she wasn't trying to be mean (apparently) but it was still embarrassing. :oops:

Conspicuous
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Apr 2011, 4:23 am

I fake it by being eccentric. I figure people are going to find something different about me one way or the other, so I may as well show them a somewhat socially-acceptable quirk.

The jury is still out on whether or not this is effective.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2011, 4:31 am

I don't fake anything, because I have nothing to be ashamed of.

russian
Raven
Raven

06 Apr 2011, 4:49 am

Blame it on 'being drunk'. Well unless it's work related. Blame it on "being a foreigner". Blame it on my mother. Blaming your parents works pretty good if you're under 30. Even NT's do it.

keira
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2011, 5:42 am

I do fake it. I don't do it well but just well enough. I tend to be very quiet at the beginning and just watch the others trying to learn how they speak and act. Then it's all about the practice. Faking gets better with time but it's always very exhausting.

matt wrote:
One thing which seems to be good is if you can remember to say "Hi" correctly in the mornings. I can barely do this. I can usually respond, but don't remember to initiate, and aside from my family members I have very very much trouble addressing people in person by their names.

It is exhausting to remember so many rules and try to follow them at the appropriate times. Especially when there are sensory things and other distractions.

I find it very hard... :roll:

Meow101
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2011, 12:24 pm

I fake eye contact all the time. I also pretend to be interested in the stuff people talk about routinely, which I'm not at all interested in. I've found that not doing that got me rejected pretty fast socially in the past. :roll: It gets very exhausting, and how "good" I am at it varies, I think, with how tired I am, how much I"ve had to fake recently, and how much sensory overload there is.

~Kate

Si tot mai multe cere.
--Mihai Eminescu

candp
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Apr 2011, 1:54 am

If I'm not stressed, I do pretty well. Eye contact can get rough; my method used to be to glaze over and maintain constant eye contact without focusing my eyes, but apparently that is worse than zero eye contact. Figures. I almost always have something in my hands so I can look down and play with it to break eye contact. Like notes for school or a pen I take apart or something like that. So it goes *eye contact/talk* *break eye contact and interact with object* *eye contact quick!* *object for prolonged period* *eye contact quick!* x1000. Because I track the conversation, it comes off as thinking really hard, or so I've been told.

If I can tell that someone is weirded out by it, I freak out a little because I'm breaking a rule and if I can tell they think I'm being weird, I'm probably weird really weird so...then it all goes downhill and I'll usually end up not talking if I can't pull my knees to my chest (ideal) or pull my feet into the chair to sit cross legged. If we're standing and I know I failed at faking, I'll start bouncing and try to change the subject or leave or fix it. Sitting is better because in casual situations, sitting cross-legged in a chair is acceptable and it makes me feel way less...like I'm about to vibrate out of my skin. So, I find ways like that to cheat. Like, I'm best at holding real conversations when I'm playing a game, especially strategy games where you get to look at the board almost the whole time and no one really cares. Then I can put a response together and sound it out and compare it to the lists of things that I know are okay to say and aren't okay to say and if there's a delay, it goes unnoticed easier. If you hold a conversation in a place where even NTs have loose rules for how they think a conversation should go, they don't immediately dismiss you and when you do things later like talk without running through twelve filters because you're tired and it's hard, they don't care as much? I just find ways to cheat, and if I can't, I have rules. Lots and lots of rules. And I can't keep following them for that long before I lose it, but it's long enough to get through an interview. Oh, and you practice following rules and double check with NTs you trust that your rules are accurate. Don't use TV shows or movies to come up with rules.

If someone touches me without warning, that's a response I can't fake. If I'm stressed, my sentence structure disintegrates. If I know I'm going to talk to someone and I know what conversation is going to come up, I make up responses to likely questions before I see them. Someone I know just had a lot of bad things happen and I've texted my siblings to see if "I am sorry your life fell apart" is acceptable as a condolence (nope).

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 Apr 2011, 12:35 pm

Meow101 wrote:
I fake eye contact all the time. I also pretend to be interested in the stuff people talk about routinely, which I'm not at all interested in. I've found that not doing that got me rejected pretty fast socially in the past. :roll: It gets very exhausting, and how "good" I am at it varies, I think, with how tired I am, how much I"ve had to fake recently, and how much sensory overload there is.

~Kate

That sounds just like me! A couple days ago, I had to get some lab work done, right after a doctor appointment As soon as I walked into the waiting room, I was confused. The television was on, and tuned loudly to one of those sensationalist stations, where perfect strangers get up on stage and share embarrassing, intimate details about their lives. There was one other person seated in the waiting room, watching this show. Then she greeted me and asked how she could help me. I realized that she was wearing those pajama looking thingies that all health care personnel seem to be wearing nowadays, and that she wasn't a patient. So what was she doing sitting in the waiting room watching TV? She directed me to get signed in, and then took me to get the blood drawn. She kept chattering about the television show, and it was hard work to respond appropriately. I was still processing the prior appointment, and when I am feeling overwhelmed, I have to guard against being honest. Meaning, it would have been a relief to just say, "Could you just do your job and quit jabbering?" :)

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2011, 12:56 pm

Yep, I fake it. Always have. I've also found that my blunders and mess ups can be more quickly overlooked if I approach them as 'blond moments' or in a joking manner. I'm starting to wonder if women really do have an easier time because the female stereotype allows for these things as 'typically female'. (... as offensive as I may find that...)

And faking it is exhausting.

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2011, 3:04 pm

Copying the other person's mannerisms, and replying to what appear to be key bits of what they say with synonyms of the words they used or with vague statements that could be interpreted in a number of ways. It works in a pinch but a word of caution that it's caused me problems later on when I was unable to recall any of the history of conversation I'd had with someone because I'd been on automatic pilot and only pretending to get it.....

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2011, 3:11 pm

If you fake it for a long period you'll burn out and shutdown

LP0rc
Raven
Raven

07 Apr 2011, 11:48 pm

You know the eye contact thing is kind of funny to me. When I was younger I had problems making eye contact, and forced myself to do it and like it. I don't get out of it what an NT would get, reading a person. But I like looking at people's eyes. Eyes are beautiful. I am told that I now make too much eye contact and am too intense about it. Other men find it challenging and go defensive or become more aggressive. Women find it uncomfortable, and either get creeped out or turned on.