Does anyone else have difficulties with their diagnosis?

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

JWS
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Apr 2011, 8:38 pm

What I mean is, does anyone else wonder about their diagnosis for Autism? Vaccillate back and forth between belief/unbelief?
As I think back over my lifes' experience, sometimes things seemed more normal for me, socially. Sometimes more abnormal.
Just wondered if anyone else had problems like this?...

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2011, 8:45 pm

I have issues b/c I was diagnosed w/ PDD at 18 months but b/c they moved all the ASD diagnoses under the umbrella of PDD, I'm never sure what my technical label is now so I just say I have HFA to simplify things.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2011, 10:09 pm

I do. I used to be much, much more autistic as a young child. I was diagnosed at 5. One of the big things that make me doubt is because I don't have severe sensory issues, but then, again, I have meltdowns over other things. I am so-so (rather than bad) at socializing....................but only with adults, I am not good at socializing with my peers. I have special interests....................but they are people related, not object related.

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2011, 10:13 pm

Yes. But then I think: how else to explain my life. From little things like being the only one who hears the mosquitoey buzz of the TV when it's on but the cable's off to big things like being an almost-25-year-old who can't function as a citizen in this society.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2011, 11:33 pm

purchase wrote:
Yes. But then I think: how else to explain my life. From little things like being the only one who hears the mosquitoey buzz of the TV when it's on but the cable's off to big things like being an almost-25-year-old who can't function as a citizen in this society.

I thought I was the only one who heard that buzzing of the TV. That could keep me awake at night. My hearing is so sensitive, that I could seriously (no exaggerating!) hear what the people were saying when the mute button was on. It was just barely audible, but I could repeat it all back correctly with my eyes shut!

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2011, 11:39 pm

Yes I do do this because my social skills have improved a lot and I'm not sure I still have "severe impairment" in "social/emotional reciprocity" or "non-verbal communication". I have some social impairment compared to the average person but maybe not severe...........................

I've been perseverating on my autistic symptoms and whether or not I think I still meet the criteria and I'm trying to stop............clearly it's not working because I'm on this site discussing it.............................

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2011, 11:50 pm

I think I'm more autistic than the AS diagnosis label applies but everyone around me tends to think otherwise, despite the fact that they get on me constantly for things about myself that are classic autistic symptoms.

Conspicuous
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Apr 2011, 3:24 am

JWS wrote:
What I mean is, does anyone else wonder about their diagnosis for Autism? Vaccillate back and forth between belief/unbelief?
As I think back over my lifes' experience, sometimes things seemed more normal for me, socially. Sometimes more abnormal.
Just wondered if anyone else had problems like this?...

Only constantly.

I'm only self-diagnosed, but I'm not entirely sure an official diagnosis would help those thoughts that much; I hope it does, though. I can look at so many experiences in my life and think, "how did I not get diagnosed as autistic when I was younger?" On the other hand, I can look at how far I've come (full-time job, long-time girlfriend, etc) and wonder how an aspie could possibly have succeeded where I did. It's only when I try to see the big picture that is my mind that it all seems to come together to form a very autistic picture.

JWS
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Apr 2011, 11:03 am

Everyone has given me some good thoughtful replies, and I appreciate them.
I am formally diagnosed as AS, but I have often vacillated in my life over diagnoses I wasn't sure about.
One example: I am also mildly Asthmatic, but because my Asthma attacks are usually rare, and often mild, sometimes I've wondered about it. Still, if I laugh very hard, I can get out of breath and start wheezing.
So my guess is that I'm the same way with AS. Only time (and my frustrated wife!) will convince me completely! :D
That makes me think: last night when I mentioned my belief/unbelief problems to my wife, she told me "You ARE Autistic (or Aspergers)! Why don't you just shut that door and lock it!?" I knew she was feeling frustrated with me, because she knows my symptoms by heart. And she told me I speak better than 50% of the time in analogies, so I wonder often, myself, "why so much trouble believing?..."

JWS
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Apr 2011, 11:21 am

Purchase, Littlelily613, you two can hear that tv buzz, too?
I can remember back in junior high that I was apparently the only one in class that could hear the electronic buzz when the teacher turned on the tv and vcr. One of the girls in class remarked that I was "going crazy".

Conspicuous
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Apr 2011, 12:20 pm

JWS wrote:
I can remember back in junior high that I was apparently the only one in class that could hear the electronic buzz when the teacher turned on the tv and vcr. One of the girls in class remarked that I was "going crazy".

Wait, it's abnormal to be able to hear that? I always could too, but assumed everyone could.

samuraiBSD
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Apr 2011, 12:26 pm

Conspicuous wrote:
JWS wrote:

Wait, it's abnormal to be able to hear that? I always could too, but assumed everyone could.

I was going to say the same. I thought everyone could hear that.

JWS
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Apr 2011, 1:41 pm

Hmmm....wonder if it's because of AS, or just more sensitivity to certain frequencies?....Makes me wonder...

MarkMartino
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Apr 2011, 1:59 pm

Wonder about it? No. It answered a lot of questions I still had about myself, and I'm a lot more content with myself, with what I can do well and the areas in which I have trouble.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

25 Apr 2011, 3:09 pm

samuraiBSD wrote:
Conspicuous wrote:
JWS wrote:

I was going to say the same. I thought everyone could hear that.

Everyone can't hear it, apparently.

It drives me up the wall.