Page 4 of 6 [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2010, 3:44 pm

Jono wrote:
AsIndsigt wrote:
Id like to see alex talk about the value of autistic people, the right for us to exist and to behave autistic, at autism speaks events.

Probably a good idea. Though I don't think Alex goes to Autism Speaks events.

And if he was going to talk like that at one, they'd ban him.

AsIndsigt
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Nov 2010, 3:18 am

I think that such a ban from them would be good. It would let the greater community see them for what they are.

but I acutally dont think they would dare to ban him. And to me that leads to the conclusion that talking would be the perfect thing to do.

Alex could be their Judas, in some odd positive way. Or maybe more correct, their Jonah.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2010, 4:34 am

I've already said enough about Autism Speaks, yesterday around this time, and not in my usual 60s fashion. I still don't agree with what they're doing.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2010, 12:56 pm

AsIndsigt wrote:
I think that such a ban from them would be good. It would let the greater community see them for what they are.

but I acutally dont think they would dare to ban him. And to me that leads to the conclusion that talking would be the perfect thing to do.

Alex could be their Judas, in some odd positive way. Or maybe more correct, their Jonah.

Well I heard that one of Autism Speaks' executives actually wouldn't let their autistic daughter talk about her autism. So they'd have no quarrel banning Alex if we were to do the same, I'm sure.

blueroses
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2010, 1:31 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
Well I heard that one of Autism Speaks' executives actually wouldn't let their autistic daughter talk about her autism.

Where did you hear that? If that's really true, I feel horrible for the daughter.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2010, 1:59 pm

blueroses wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:
Well I heard that one of Autism Speaks' executives actually wouldn't let their autistic daughter talk about her autism.

Where did you hear that? If that's really true, I feel horrible for the daughter.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/18/us/18autism.html

I seriously resent their general tone, too. "Something MUST BE DONE NOW!"

They make it seem like if they weren't doing such a fine job of convincing people autism is so evil and that they needed everyone's money, the world as we know it would end... :roll:

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2010, 2:58 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
blueroses wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/18/us/18autism.html

I seriously resent their general tone, too. "Something MUST BE DONE NOW!"

They make it seem like if they weren't doing such a fine job of convincing people autism is so evil and that they needed everyone's money, the world as we know it would end... :roll:

That was because Katie Wright is absolutely convinced that her son's autism was caused by vaccines, not because she espouses a more positive view of autism. If we want to criticise Autism Speaks, we must be honest about this.

ben10scotland

26 Apr 2011, 3:49 pm

Hello

We really need to shut down autism speaks,

the first way we can do this is to let everyone know how bad they are

this would involve

creating facebook page and myspace page

everyone putting a footer on their page linking to an active thread about autism speaks
and a brief message to avoid them. If the entire autistic community and all Neurotypicals on here would be nice enough to do it as well.

Time to start

Fhoonism
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Apr 2011, 4:05 pm

Somebody shove a link to this thread on Autism Speaks facebook page. Maybe open a few eyes, there's a lot of disgusting human beings there, all talking about how much they wish their kids were normal and doing nothing to help it. I think they're scum, just an opinion (: Someones gotta be wrong when the minority group being represented hate the representer on mass.

Fhoonism
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Apr 2011, 4:08 pm

Gonna leave this thread and not read any more. I really do dislike them with a passion, scum.. Just scum.

Cleeveland Show just came on, bit of blaxploitation should calm me down xD

andrew_w
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Apr 2011, 1:07 am

Fhoonism wrote:
Somebody shove a link to this thread on Autism Speaks facebook page. Maybe open a few eyes, there's a lot of disgusting human beings there, all talking about how much they wish their kids were normal and doing nothing to help it. I think they're scum, just an opinion (: Someones gotta be wrong when the minority group being represented hate the representer on mass.

I think that's a bit extreme. While a few people who are "pro-cure" could probably be described as malicious, most are just horribly misguided.

AlanTuring
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Sep 2011, 10:30 pm

I'm still waiting to hear, in detail, from Alex about what his relationship with Autism Speaks is, what WP's relationship with Autism Speaks is, what what kinds of support, financial and otherwise, he and WP have received from Autism Speaks.

This kind of transparency is essential.

Molecular_Biologist
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Sep 2011, 1:02 am

AlanTuring
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Sep 2011, 3:29 pm

:)

I'm trying to get a better understanding of the Autism Speaks vs ASAN war that has been ongoing here.

This thread came up in a search.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2011, 6:55 pm

AlanTuring wrote:
I'm still waiting to hear, in detail, from Alex about what his relationship with Autism Speaks is, what WP's relationship with Autism Speaks is, what what kinds of support, financial and otherwise, he and WP have received from Autism Speaks.

This kind of transparency is essential.

I can understand your personal interest in it. But I doubt he is going to disclose any personal financial details with any of the members here. Since the website is his private property. He is under no obligation to provide financial details, we are only guests here, on a site that he provides for us to use at no cost. He has copyrights to everything that the members post here, per the legal disclosure at the bottom of the webpage.

Details about financial disclosure regarding Autism Speaks and Wrong Planet were requested specifically in this thread, with no response; my understanding is the information in this thread is still relevant, Autism Speaks supports the Talk TV informational videos that are provided here. They seem to be a valuable component of the website.

You picked a good thread to get some general opinions on the things you have heard so far related to Autism Speaks. Alex provided what I understand to be an objective opinion in his responses back to the criticism that was voiced to him in this thread about the relationship between this site and Autism Speaks.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2011, 6:58 pm

spacecadetcolin wrote:
and f**k you for selling out wrong planet

in the future they will look back on this as the beginning of the end for autistic culture. thanks to genetic research soon there will be a prenatal test for autism, like the one they have for down-syndrome. 80% of children with down-syndrome are aborted, do you think it will be any different for us. that's not even the point, there are already thousands of autistic adults out there already who are being misrepresented, and whose real needs are being strait ignored.
autism speaks ignores the needs of the autistic/aspergers community while they stigmatize us with a campaign of negativity and fear.

SPEAK FOR YOUR SELF AND STAND UP TO AUTISM SPEAKS!

You do realise there is not a way to test for autism in a fetus...research points to the disorder also involving environmental factors...so I don't think that is going to happen. And even if it did they cannot force women to have abortions.