Page 3 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Burzum
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2011, 5:37 pm

Whenever I drink coffee I don't sleep. I've stayed awake for about 30 hours because of it, before.

yhan
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 May 2011, 8:05 pm

Is it true that autistics, people with ADD and ADHD are caffeine sensitive? I read that 75% of autistics are deficient in melatonin and I appear to sleep better taking it.
I really love eating cacao powder or nibs straight but it is too stimulating.

stargazing
Raven
Raven

02 May 2011, 8:29 pm

Weird. Caffeine has almost ZERO effect on me in any amount.

I seem to be largely chemically inert in general, actually. I seem to tolerate alcohol better than anyone, there are hardly any medications of any kind that actually work for me, and I never get side effects from anything.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2011, 1:51 am

I'm not sure if I'm sensitive to caffeine or not. Coffee would send me straight to bathroom before I even finish a cup. But I can gobble large amount of chocolate with no effect at all. It doesn't even keep me awake.

Maybe there's something in chocolate that neutralize the effect of caffeine.

JCJC777
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 May 2012, 5:35 am

Me too - massively sensitive. Have been clean for c.90 days now and feeling great.

See here for a great thread on withdrawing from coffee and caffeine; 170+ pages of comments from people trying to get free... http://coffeefaq.com/site/node/11

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2012, 11:45 am

Caffeine does got affect me at all, except it sometimes makes menstrual cramps worse when I'm on. But that's quite common in a lot of women.

Katatonia
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 May 2012, 12:12 pm

I wouldn't know anyway, I've probably grown a tolerance since soft drinks are my addiction :P.

lostmyself
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 May 2012, 12:36 pm

Meadow wrote:
I do. I just had a case of that, today, because I made my coffee a little stronger by accident. I also have to maintain an equivalent dose every day or I will get a headache from withdrawal very quickly. I like coffee but I don't like having to keep up with the addictive aspect.

The same thing happens to me. My coffee was very weak. I had to stop drinking coffee because of a stomach bug that disturbed my system for weeks. I have different reactions to coffee at different times. I think fluctuating hormones have some influence on my reactions to coffee.

CanisMajor
Toucan
Toucan

31 May 2012, 12:50 pm

stargazing wrote:
Weird. Caffeine has almost ZERO effect on me in any amount.

I seem to be largely chemically inert in general, actually. I seem to tolerate alcohol better than anyone, there are hardly any medications of any kind that actually work for me, and I never get side effects from anything.

This. I was starting to feel like the weird one, going down this thread. I have an incredibly high tolerance to almost any drug. It takes a lot of caffeine for me to feel anything (I actually used to think caffeine had to purely be a placebo effect, since everyone else gets a buzz and I'm just sitting there, waiting to feel something.) I also need a lot more alcohol to be affected (I've only been drinking for about three years, and I was like this the first time I drank, too. So I know it isn't a built-up tolerance!) I don't even bother taking over-the-counter pain medications, since they either do nothing, or make me feel light-headed. :|

In fact, when I got a wisdom tooth removed last year, my dentist prescribed me Percoset. Two days later, I'd already grown accustomed to it and ended up writhing in pain. Even worse, it was a Sunday, meaning my dentist was closed and I just had to deal with it. :( When I next saw him, he prescribed me Vicodin. Much better! Although when I got my next wisdom tooth removed, he needed to do the opposite- I started off with Vicodin, I became too tolerant of it, and had to be put back on Percoset.

I've never been high, either. When I was in middle school, my classmates would sniff a marker or white out and tell me I just had to feel this. But all I ever got was a pounding headache. I think I'm very sensitive to those kinds of things. I can't even use paint thinner because I get a headache almost instantly after opening it.

In fact, caffeine used to affect me differently as a kid. I still never got energetic, but I did used to get headaches from drinking soda (not from withdrawal. From taking it in the first place.) One August when I was a young teen, I decided to cut caffeine out of my diet entirely. Almost all my headaches instantly disappeared! I went without caffeine for several years. I then slowly started having soda, then energy drinks, then coffee... But because I like the tastes. I can drink an energy drink, then go to bed. I'd need two or three to even start to feel something.

CanisMajor
Toucan
Toucan

31 May 2012, 12:55 pm

Squirrelrat wrote:
That's awful! Caffeine is my favorite drug! :( I have had some bad reactions to medications, however. Lunesta made me hallucinate, and Lamictal gave me freak show acne. I am still trying to get rid of the scars. I also can't eat mango peelings because they cause me to have poison ivy-like rashes all over my body.

I know that was an old comment, but you know you're not supposed to eat mango peels, right? The reason it gives you a poison ivy-like rash is because it is like poison ivy. Mango peels have the same chemical that triggers poison ivy allergy. So this isn't unusual. Most people, at the very least, get an upset stomach if they ingest mango skins. Unless you aren't allergic to poison ivy, you will probably have a reaction.

dixonpete
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Nov 2012, 7:16 pm

I was classified as BP II for 25 years till I discovered I was mood sensitive to caffeine. No jitters, but caffeine caused me to cycle 60% deep depression, normalcy 20% and hypomanic 20%. All that stopped when I went cold turkey off all caffeine. 3 weeks of withdrawal but well worth it.

I''ve been completely asymptomatic for bipolarity since - and it's been 4.5 years since I made the discovery. No meds either..

Never was able to convince any doctor about the connection.

Caffeine is a very dangerous drug for a fraction of the population. Anyone with any kind of mood disorder should stay way clear.

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2012, 9:06 pm

It turns my mind into a speeding truck and gives me anxiety, jitters, and palpitations but strangely I have no problem trying to sleep.

Edit:I forgot to mention that until recently, caffeine has never done anything to my system. Like, nothing at all. 8O

Last edited by jamieevren1210 on 24 Nov 2012, 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2012, 1:34 pm

I have no sensitivity to caffeine at all. I had a whole bottle of coca cola (NOT the diet one) yesterday, and I slept well all night, as well as I did on all the other nights this week, so the caffeine from the coke didn't have any affect on me at all. It also doesn't make me hyper. I act hyper when I'm in a happy mood or just when I want to be.

I don't drink coffee.