What are the upsides and downsides of a diagnosis?

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

72sprint
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 May 2011, 10:43 am

One other issue that you might want to consider, is that some countries won't let you in with an official dx. This is something that is asked about on many visa forms, and while you may luck out, you may not. The rub is if you want to be honest about it or run the risk that they might deny you. Fortunately, mine to China later this year went through without a hitch. Your mileage may vary.

Car insurance is based largely off of your driving record and your credit, so unless those areas suck you should be ok. I suspect they might also look at criminal background too. Health insurance is impossible to get on your own with any preexisting condition.

I am lucky in that I have the love and support of a wonderful woman. She was the first I told, and has been very supportive. I would not wait until marriage to disclose, but if you are serious about this person, then s/he needs to know. If I were single now, I would float out a query or two early in the relationship about what they think of AS and see their reaction.

Coworkers, a couple had me figured out but I've only disclosed officially to one. It isn't a big issue where I am but then again, everyone I work with is odd in their own way.

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2011, 3:03 pm

Services are a definite pro, if you need them. If you don't, I don't see any point.

Dinosaw
Toucan
Toucan

07 May 2011, 6:25 pm

OJani wrote:
Once you disclose information about your ASD to any of your coworkers, it'll be no secret any more.

You are so right.

OJani wrote:
I was eventually accepted by my employer and my boss. I feel they accept me somehow (hope it will last) and know by their instinct what can be expected from me, what are those things I need assistance or support with, and also they seem to be patient when I don't do something up to the standard, maybe being able to sense the relation to my condition.

Maybe your boss and employer can sense that you have the most important criteria an employee needs - a work ethic. In all my years of hiring and managing people, that was always a decisive variable - whether or not an employee was going to care about the job and their performance. IMHO, most other skills/traits can be taught but I feel strongly that it's almost impossible to make someone have a work ethic, typically they either have one or they don't, it is not something easily acquired through on the job training.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

10 May 2011, 8:26 am

Bump.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

23 May 2011, 12:02 am

So, as I scan the forums, I keep seeing reasons for and against getting an official diagnosis. On top of the previous reasons, it appears military enrollment is another reason why you shouldn't get a diagnosis even if you do have it!

From http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp3631259 ... t=#3631259

Daredevil-Aspie wrote:
vetwithAS wrote:
It is a closely guarded fact due to my chosen career field's views of autism. Only a select few outside of my family know.

Makes sense. Very recently the U.S. military decided to exclude those with AS from enlisting.

This makes sense since the economy has been down, more people have been entering the military and their selectivity has increased. I was thinking about the possibility of entering the military (Depending on who's going to be our next president, so I plan on entering after the next election if I decide to enter. It's also quite nice that the standard 4-year military contract coincides quite well with the 4 year term of the president, so if a belligerent president comes aboard and there's a growing number of resource wars, which are quite likely due to declining energy resources, that America seems to want to involve itself in, it's quite simple to vacate.), so this is all the more reason not to seek a diagnosis even if I *do* have aspergers. But, still, it'd be quite interesting to find out -- is there any possible way to tell a doctor/psychiatrist to keep your diagnosis "off the record" or "unofficial" so it's not on your medical records that the military or medical insurance companies would get a hold of? If that's possible, then I might proceed with the diagnostic process.

Gee. With all these biases against aspergers, it almost seems like getting your child diagnosed with HFA would be a long-term disservice to them considering the longterm impacts. 8O

manBrain
Raven
Raven

23 May 2011, 2:21 am

Hmm interesting debate and one that comes up frequently on the forum.

Firstly I will state that I live in New Zealand, not the USA (many posters on WP are in the States).

In New Zealand, the cultural attitudes to Autism/ASD are different to the US.

In the US, ASD is a widely recognised phenomenon, and seems to have been culturally accepted for years. Many of the posters here seem concerned with what I consider the secondary implications of a dx, for example health insurance. I don't have much advice about that.

In New Zealand, ASD is only just beginning to be recognised as a real "thing". Many people associate autism solely with children and do not imagine adult and/or high-functioning autistic people to exist. People such as myself are faced with primary implications: most of the community does not know about ASD at all (beyond a general notion of "ret*d people").

Furthermore, the culture in New Zealand does not encourage individuals to seek accommodations... for example, being sensitive to noise and verbal distraction, requesting seperate office space at work, would be viewed as "special treatment" with the individual placing themselves above others. To place oneself above others is a social taboo.

The culture here willingly accommodates people with physical disabilities, but HFA is almost invisible; the obvious physical or behavioural signals that indicate disability are absent. Often the disability only becomes evident when the individual is under pressure. Seeking accommodations at this time is viewed as avoiding responsibility, or making excuses for lack of performance.

ADD/ADHD is more familiar to the public, but is still regarded as "bad parenting", "something children have" or just a general excuse for bad behaviour.
Having a dx of HFA/ASD would not necessarily improve the situation, as the dx is simply official proof of the "existence" of the invisible disorder. LOL.

This situation creates pressure on the individual to seek a niche in which few accommodations have to be made... in other words an environment that is naturally suitable for that person. It is permissable for an individual to be "eccentric" or "a loner", but "autistic" is not ok. Basically the individual must find a compatible environment, preferably working with others who are ASD, where odd is the norm.

In regard to personal relationships and disclosure... I am very much in favour of disclosure to prospective partners. I would like to pretend that I can conduct a relationship and keep my ASD-ness to myself, but the fact is it affects everything I do, whether I like it or not. Also, having ASD isn't something that I would like a SO to conceal from me. Discussing your personal characteristics does not require an official dx.

In regard to employers and disclosure... use discretion. Choose an ASD-friendly workplace if you can. By this I mean one with obviously ASD employees or ASD-compatible working conditions. These are indications of compatibility. Obviously this as a rough measure, but I work in Engineering where there is a high proportion of ASD-ish people.

Even if an employee is, er, "normal", the employer needs the employee to tell them what they need: eg. "I work more productively when I......" Productivity is what employers want, and adjusting your workplace in this way doesn't require a formal dx. In fact, presenting a dx to an employer may activate their own set of assumptions about ASD, which may not align with your own profile. For this reason, making specific suggestions to your employer may have a better result for everybody, compared to a dx.

In New Zealand for example, it would be appropriate to firstly "prove" oneself through hard work, before requesting adjustments to be made. The employer is more accommodating to hard-working employees, and does not suspect that they want to avoid work, when they request adjustments. Proving oneself first also helps the employer accept ASD if/when it is discussed, as the ASD is then a secondary characteristic of a good employee, rather than a primary characteristic of an unproven employee.

Well, that is my monologue for today.

I recommend doing a lot of self-assessment, before making a decision about an official dx.
There may be some personal satisfaction/resolution from a dx, but I do not think a dx is necessary and there are significant legal repercussions (and social stigmas) attached. These decisions depend a lot on your own level of function.

SirLogiC
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 May 2011, 4:09 am

manBrain wrote:
Even if an employee is, er, "normal", the employer needs the employee to tell them what they need: eg. "I work more productively when I......" Productivity is what employers want, and adjusting your workplace in this way doesn't require a formal dx. In fact, presenting a dx to an employer may activate their own set of assumptions about ASD, which may not align with your own profile. For this reason, making specific suggestions to your employer may have a better result for everybody, compared to a dx.

In New Zealand for example, it would be appropriate to firstly "prove" oneself through hard work, before requesting adjustments to be made. The employer is more accommodating to hard-working employees, and does not suspect that they want to avoid work, when they request adjustments. Proving oneself first also helps the employer accept ASD if/when it is discussed, as the ASD is then a secondary characteristic of a good employee, rather than a primary characteristic of an unproven employee.

Thought I would add to this post. In Australia the situation is a bit better than New Zealand. Some prominent people have publicly said they have depression, this has raised the profile in Mental Illness in the country. Plus we have Dr. Tony Attwood as a local Autism celebrity.

I am not sure about in America but here in Australia if you see the question along the lines of "Do you have any medical conditions that require special consideration?" you should be very diplomatic with that. It is better not to disclose. The quoted text above is a very good way to handle it. After a couple weeks, and if you manage ok and the boss seems likely to keep you, you could possibly mention that certain environment changes could make you more productive.

Or you could say that you have a "problem with noisy environments" and you work better in a place that is quiet. That is a specific problem with the ideal solution. No need to disclose AS and all the baggage that label carries when only the noise part is a problem. Of course if you feel you need special considerations right from the start then you probably should disclose. Like if you go into meltdown if people mess with your desk/work then that should be disclosed right from the start.

/sigh well no experience with relationships :(
However I would say tell the SO when you feel it is the best time. I can only think that saying right at the start is risky because they might see you as the label instead of seeing you for who you are. Pre-conceived ideas are hard to change.